The Brown Truck - My 1982 Toyota Pickup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

you will most likely need to upgrade the wire going from the alt to the battery

#12 AWG good for up to 40 amps at 5 feet
#10 AWG good for up to 70 amps at 5 feet
#8 AWG good for up to 90 amps at 5 feet

The charge wire looks plenty big and was in good shape. As Johnny mentioned the other wires carry small (or zero) current. There should be 3 plugs on the back labeled S, L, and IG.

L gives a ground to your "charge" light (and serves to excite the field). Be sure this wire goes to a charge light or through a resistor or it will prematurely kill the alternator.

IG energizes the regulator. It should be ignition hot.

S is the sensor wire the regulator uses as input and thus control voltage. You can simply pigtail this wire to your charge terminal.

@fourtrax my charge wire will probably be good, I replaced it with a heavy gauge wire since it was burnt up when I got the truck. But I will check it

@Rice thank you! I found a diagram of the plug that has which is which labeled. I’ll have to find a good light to run the excite wire too, I’ll test wires with a multimeter to see what is ignition switched, and I’ll definitely just pigtail the s wire.

Also make sure you have an equal sized engine ground. I've made that mistake before, with a big fat charge cable, and a too small ground wire.

Also make sure you have an equal sized engine ground. I've made that mistake before, with a big fat charge cable, and a too small ground wire.
Don't use an LED for the charge light. It needs to be incandescent.

Both very solid points.

And remember, the "L" wire is the GROUND for the charge light ... so ignition hot to the light and then to "L".

I have a short battery cable grounding the block to the frame I do believe.

Don't use an LED for the charge light. It needs to be incandescent.
Good to know, can it be any random incandescent bulb in theninterior?

Good to know, can it be any random incandescent bulb in theninterior?

IIRC if you wire it into the factory charging circuit, it will have a charge light on the dash, or proper resistance built into the harness.

IIRC if you wire it into the factory charging circuit, it will have a charge light on the dash, or proper resistance built into the harness.
There is a spot for a ‘battery’ light on my dash that no longer had the bulb there. So I need to address that.

Would it be a bad idea to use three spade connectors instead of the factory plug? I’m not sure where to track down the correct plug for this alternator.

Would it be a bad idea to use three spade connectors instead of the factory plug? I’m not sure where to track down the correct plug for this alternator.
Yes, you need some isolation and insulation in that connection so you don't burn it up again

Picked up some parts today from my local Toyota Parts Guy. IFS PS Box, PS Pump and Bracket and PS reservoir.
E6DA0966-843B-4635-B4FB-283614B8F553.jpeg
67E90E82-77CD-4EC5-B0E2-14ECBB826BF2.jpeg

I got more crossover/power steering conversion stuff in the mail today! I got my Hy-steer kit from All-Pro offroad, as well as my IFS PS box mount from slag factory.
DC234697-F12D-4140-A01B-6FFC94C1CF37.jpeg
27B63357-9F75-4E2F-A426-F82A9E241142.jpeg

All I have left is to go to my local Napa and buy the needed low pressure lines, because they are generic. I already have received a new high pressure line from rock auto.

If you convert the PS to AN fittings you can easily make up both pressure and return lines, even on the trail. PSC has all the fittings for the box, pump and high pressure line. Makes plumbing in a cooler much easier as well.

If you convert the PS to AN fittings you can easily make up both pressure and return lines, even on the trail. PSC has all the fittings for the box, pump and high pressure line. Makes plumbing in a cooler much easier as well.
I’ll probably stick with surge stock set up for right now just because of price, but I do plan to install a cooler and I might convert then.

Are you wishing you'd done 37's yet?
You’d be amazed how many times that thought has gone through my head haha. And I don’t even care how slow it’s gonna be now, the looks are worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom