THANK YOU Mudders - The LS Swap is Done! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Replacing that weak ass sunshell is a lot of work.
Yeah, and maybe it will blow tomorrow, but miraculously mine has held fine to 180k miles with 60k of it in a fully built 80 on 37s that is driven by a maniac daily and wheeled. Cheap easy mods.

6E0E16CE-12A8-4DAB-9616-137F0CF6E2CF.jpeg

A gm transmission is so easy to replace I consider any worry of a 4l60e not lasting forever as a almost non issue. You can always upgrade to a 4l80e easily if needed or buy a beefed up 4l60e.
Swapping over to an 4l80e after your build is done with a 4l60e isn't a quick or easy task yes they bolt to the engine and transfer case but are different lengths. Adapter forthe 4l80e doesn't have a sensor in it like the 4l60 its a different adapter between the two model transmission's.

Swapping over to an 4l80e after your build is done with a 4l60e isn't a quick or easy task yes they bolt to the engine and transfer case but are different lengths. Adapter forthe 4l80e doesn't have a sensor in it like the 4l60 its a different adapter between the two model transmission's.
Yep. Just start with an 80 IMO.

Last edited:
If you’re capable of (cleanly) LS swapping an 80series alone in your home garage I’d consider it both. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyways... OP, let’s see some pulls!

If you’re capable of (cleanly) LS swapping an 80series alone in your home garage I’d consider it both. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyways... OP, let’s see some pulls!
We'll have some once I get my new tune done. The trans shift points need to be adjusted. We did a 250 mile highway trip today and it was awesome!

I was aware the 4l80e was longer. I also know the wiring is slightly different. I didn't know the adapter was different.

I was aware the 4l80e was longer. I also know the wiring is slightly different. I didn't know the adapter was different.

The real problem is the reluctor ring on the out out shaft. On 4l80e 4x4 vehicles the output reading was in the transfer case. On 2wd vehicles, the reluctor ring was buried in the transmission on the output shaft. Same parts, just one is missing the $35 tone ring. Pair that with most people buying a complete pull out engine and tranny (a lot of the engines, at least where i live, are 4x4). I did a 4l80e, not sure if many other people have....and i tore the tranny down and rebuilt myself. Took a weekend, i could probably do in a saturday now. A shop could probably do 2 hours just to put the tone ring on. Of all the money, if one wants a 4l80e, they should just do it. It's a couple hundred at most for the tone ring. Or, if you diy, you can get all new clutches, seals, consumables etc For the same price. Bust honestly, if I'm putting a new tranny in mine, might as well go to 6 speed or greater.

The real problem is the reluctor ring on the out out shaft. On 4l80e 4x4 vehicles the output reading was in the transfer case. On 2wd vehicles, the reluctor ring was buried in the transmission on the output shaft. Same parts, just one is missing the $35 tone ring. Pair that with most people buying a complete pull out engine and tranny (a lot of the engines, at least where i live, are 4x4). I did a 4l80e, not sure if many other people have....and i tore the tranny down and rebuilt myself. Took a weekend, i could probably do in a saturday now. A shop could probably do 2 hours just to put the tone ring on. Of all the money, if one wants a 4l80e, they should just do it. It's a couple hundred at most for the tone ring. Or, if you diy, you can get all new clutches, seals, consumables etc For the same price. Bust honestly, if I'm putting a new tranny in mine, might as well go to 6 speed or greater.
So you can use the same 4l60e adapter but just need to add the tone ring?

4L65E GM fixed the issues with the 4l60E Improved sun shield, 5 planetary gears rather than 4 along with other up grades

Odd that it seems to never get mentioned

4L65E GM fixed the issues with the 4l60E Improved sun shield, 5 planetary gears rather than 4 along with other up grades

Odd that it seems to never get mentioned
Probably just comes down to availability. 4L60s are everywhere. 4L80s are everywhere. 4L65s came in a much narrower range of applications.

So you can use the same 4l60e adapter but just need to add the tone ring?
I don't know that off the top of my head. My gut feeling is no. I also disagree that it's an easy change on an already completed swap. The output shafts probably are different as well.

That makes sense. I guess it is because when I look for a used motor I do not look for a motor and trans together as a package. Either way the trans would be rebuilt so I just go straight to a remanufactured trans, often a Monster trans. I've had good luck with them over the years. I also use the 4L65E with the LS3 in a Connect & Cruise package (when they are available). It is a proven combo that pulls a Land Cruiser around with no problems. There are also two adapters available that actually work!

One big item, no matter what trans you are using is proper cooling. I use a trans cooler in the radiator and then a stand alone cooler then back to the trans.

That makes sense. I guess it is because when I look for a used motor I do not look for a motor and trans together as a package. Either way the trans would be rebuilt so I just go straight to a remanufactured trans, often a Monster trans. I've had good luck with them over the years. I also use the 4L65E with the LS3 in a Connect & Cruise package (when they are available). It is a proven combo that pulls a Land Cruiser around with no problems. There are also two adapters available that actually work!

One big item, no matter what trans you are using is proper cooling. I use a trans cooler in the radiator and then a stand alone cooler then back to the trans.
Most guys that want swaps want to go with used engine and used transmission to keep the price down for them. Thats why the 4l60 is more than likely to be used in a swap and the 4l80e gets used less because everyone is stuck on the 4l60 having a lower first gear. So they go with the weaker transmission because of that lol.

Most guys that want swaps want to go with used engine and used transmission to keep the price down for them. Thats why the 4l60 is more than likely to be used in a swap and the 4l80e gets used less because everyone is stuck on the 4l60 having a lower first gear. So they go with the weaker transmission because of that lol.
Why not just use a ZF 6 speed manual? Is that a viable option?

I haven't researched gm transmissions for a while. From what I remember the 4l60e variant of transmissions can be built quite strong. As in like 700ftlbs of torque. So personally I will probably just go with a performance built 4l60e variant if I kill my transmission. Currently in my rebuilt 4l60e i have the line pressure turned up a fair bit to reduce slipping and the oem 80 series cooler keeps it very cool. I don't know if it's ever gotten over 180f. The first gear is nice offroad. My 6.0 is limited in power by the thin air at the high elevation I'm at. So that probably helps the transmission. Not sure there is much to worry about it since gm stuff has so much aftermarket support. Lots of options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom