Builds Tex's 200 build thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good to know, so odds are mine will as well. I'd like to keep the rear mud flaps up front as well if at all possible.

Rear Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers are on, the stance is so much better looking IMHO. I am still waiting on the second set to arrive for the fronts, not sure why the shipment go split up but when it comes to USPS I am never surprised lol. I removed the small front/front mud flaps in anticipation of the tire rubbing on them once the wheel spacers are installed, I guess I'll have to wait and see if there's contact anywhere else once they go on.

He5JbIP.jpg

DfIN6jw.jpg

Before

FXHIocL.jpg

After

UzzLNHN.jpg
You have the lugnuts on backwards. Spidertrax Install Instructions

Holy crap, you're right haha, thanks for catching that.

Not stock - just installed 2" Bilstein lift and TC UCA. I have been running with LT285/65R18 tires since I bought it. BEFORE the lift, however, I had started to notice rubbing on the stock UCA that I hadn't noticed before, so I think something had knocked the alignment out of whack enough to make it rub. That was also part of the reason that I picked up the spacers - to make sure I wouldn't rub on the UCA anymore.

Wife has some errands to run tonight - I'll check for rubbing on the liner / mudflaps after she gets back. I don't expect to see rubbing with the 2" lift, though.
Pictures of your lift? How do you like it compared to other lifts you may have had?

Pictures of your lift? How do you like it compared to other lifts you may have had?

First lift I've had, so can't really compare against anything other than stock. Already it's a huge improvement over stock for braking and body roll, but that's expected from just about any lift that people are doing in this forum. Other than that, street ride quality mostly seems unchanged to me from stock, which it pretty great, but only have had the lift on for a couple days now and my opinion might change. Pics here:

Installed Bilstein 6112/5160 suspension (front and rear) for a 2" lift, along with Total Chaos UCAs.

View attachment 2570970

Before and after:

View attachment 2570971
View attachment 2570973

I went out and fixed it by removing them altogether lol. I am still waiting on my second set which is being held up in Canadian customs for some odd reason. Both sets shipped the same day and I received the first one a few days ago, frustrating to say the least but at least now I can drive the Cruiser again until the second set gets here.

Last edited:
I love driving this thing around town, I know it's not much different than the LX we had prior to it but I simply enjoy this one a lot more and for no specific reason lol.

DDU5F8A.jpg

Rubbing is on the front liner. I removed the small plastic piece that hangs down (what is that even for? Is it a scrape indicator that matches the frame height?) Tire now rubs the liner just above that piece, on the ribbed portions of the liner that protrude toward the tire.

I'm going to wait to heat-gun and shape the liner until after I get my alignment done, since that could change how it rubs.

20210203_170013.jpg

20210203_170636.jpg

what is that even for?
Aerodynamics!

no need for heat gun, just move the whole liner forward (easier than heating) using @TeCKis300’s 35 thread.

Last edited:
Rubbing is on the front liner. I removed the small plastic piece that hangs down (what is that even for? Is it a scrape indicator that matches the frame height?) Tire now rubs the liner just above that piece, on the ribbed portions of the liner that protrude toward the tire.

I'm going to wait to heat-gun and shape the liner until after I get my alignment done, since that could change how it rubs.

View attachment 2574775

View attachment 2574776

Good deal! That's an easy fix with the liner mod. Thanks for sharing.

Aerodynamics!

no need for heat gun, just move the whole liner forward (easier than heating) using @TeCKis300’s 35 thread.

Awesome tip, thanks! Found the post describing how to move the liner here:

Got the 305/55/20 Falken Wildpeak A/T3's tires mounted today and loving them. Trailing edge was fine as I took off the mudflap for now. But of course, had to do some minor clearancing on the leading edge. Went a different approach than cutting that was easy peasy.

The liner folds under the front bumper like and "L". There 3 screws underneath that secure the bottom part of the L to the bumper. I basically pulled the L forward, taking the whole arched liner with it. Drilled a few new holes to secure it in the forward position adding about .5" of clearance. No cutting or anything, and a 5 minute operation.

Note the 3 bolts that you'll redo in the pic. The trick is all in the bolt circled in red. Drill a new hole forward of the original (that you can see below it), where risen corner is. Then screw the bolt into the new hole, and into the under layered piece that has a white plastic nut. This now locates the whole "L" forward. At the other two bolt holes, drill through the stacked layer at the original external location and secure.

View attachment 1406270

I decided to put the 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers on again today now that Snowmageddon is over lol. I proceeded to break my digital torque wrench on the very last lug nut too, what a s***ty deal. I have a slight rub both at the front and the rear of the front wheel well, very similar to what @FerrisBueller posted but I don't have any contact on the KDSS arm. It's only present under hard turns with substantial body roll and when the suspension is cycling coming into an incline like the driveway. Under normal, flat driving conditions it's fine and rub free. I'll look to @TeCKis300 build thread for solutions.

I ran Spidertrax spacers on one of our 5th Gen 4Runners for a while and I appreciate some of the benefits of the wider track and I certainly enjoy the improved stance and look, but I am not sure I enjoy the way it handles and feels. I need more seat time to decide whether or not they will stick around for the long haul. Now I have to add a new 3/8" digital torque wrench to the list of broken tools needing replacement and I was already down a Kestrel AB unit from earlier in the week, it's been an expensive week for total cost of tool failures.

YMIe7iV.jpg

wPreN2p.jpg

lquNgii.jpg

SnC2y1W.jpg

QfJo5ck.jpg

P4HNqrx.jpg

Sorry to hear about the broken tools. Any warranty on them? That torque wrench break looks like a material failure.

I love the spidertrax spacers on mine. I don't experience any adverse handling like some people report, but it may be because I am running larger (33") tires, and that helps correct the scrub radius issues?

I have 33's on there (275/70/18), no lift though. Like I said, I'll reserve my final opinion on them after I've logged more than just a few miles around town haha. Yea the torque wrench failure was odd, unfortunately I didn't get the extended coverage warranty and it's beyond the factory warranty window. $250 in the trash combined with the Kestrel at another $500 but I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade that recently haha.

I have 33's on there (275/70/18), no lift though. Like I said, I'll reserve my final opinion on them after I've logged more than just a few miles around town haha. Yea the torque wrench failure was odd, unfortunately I didn't get the extended coverage warranty and it's beyond the factory warranty window. $250 in the trash combined with the Kestrel at another $500 but I have been looking for an excuse to upgrade that recently haha.
That torque wrench should be easily taken apart and the part replaced.

If they offer the parts for it, I've ready conflicting reports online. I'll dig deeper next week.

I decided to put the 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers on again today now that Snowmageddon is over lol. I proceeded to break my digital torque wrench on the very last lug nut too, what a s***ty deal. I have a slight rub both at the front and the rear of the front wheel well, very similar to what @FerrisBueller posted but I don't have any contact on the KDSS arm. It's only present under hard turns with substantial body roll and when the suspension is cycling coming into an incline like the driveway. Under normal, flat driving conditions it's fine and rub free. I'll look to @TeCKis300 build thread for solutions.

I ran Spidertrax spacers on one of our 5th Gen 4Runners for a while and I appreciate some of the benefits of the wider track and I certainly enjoy the improved stance and look, but I am not sure I enjoy the way it handles and feels. I need more seat time to decide whether or not they will stick around for the long haul. Now I have to add a new 3/8" digital torque wrench to the list of broken tools needing replacement and I was already down a Kestrel AB unit from earlier in the week, it's been an expensive week for total cost of tool failures.

YMIe7iV.jpg

wPreN2p.jpg

lquNgii.jpg

SnC2y1W.jpg

QfJo5ck.jpg

P4HNqrx.jpg

Looks great!

BH3D inserts, what a game changer. It's funny that it's always the little things that bring the most joy.

iD6HyIL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom