Tesla style 16" Android Radio install/information (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That doesn't make sense, the OP didn't say anything about audio not operating. Besides, this is a complete REPLACEMENT of the head unit and DVD player. Check out the pics in the first couple of posts.

Yes, I’m aware of the thread topic, in which we discuss large android-based navigation screen replacements like the NSV Super Audio head unit.
The leader in OEM Vehicle Solutions
Operation Video:
Video Review showing features:

Yes, I’m aware of the thread topic, in which we discuss large android-based navigation screen replacements like the NSV Super Audio head unit.

You are the only one discussing the Super Audio units, this thread was discussing the units sold by Phoenix for model years 08-15. I haven't seen any reports of the audio not working with Phoenix units you are just muddying the waters....

I've found out more about the SuperAudio units: the unit is not compatible with JBL equipped 200’s/ U.S. spec 200’s (otherwise known as VX trim to the rest of the world) as there is a specific audio controller for those modules that won’t communicate with our head unit. They are designed around base and mid level trim (Panasonic audio) trucks (known to the rest of the world as EXR and GXR).

This seems right. I had exchanges with couple companies selling on Alibaba the 16" & 13" units for 16+ LC. All of them after checking with engineer confirmed that those units will not work on US version.

Let's avoid branching off and discussing an entirely different unit.
  • Phoenix 08-15 MY URJ200 (This thread)
  • Super Audio 16+ MY URJ200 (Please create a separate thread for this discussion, not sure if the mods can separate the posts)

Let's avoid branching off and discussing an entirely different unit.
  • Phoenix 08-15 MY URJ200 (This thread)
  • Super Audio 16+ MY URJ200 (Please create a separate thread for this discussion, not sure if the mods can separate the posts)

The comments are just bringing to attention that US spec has different bones (upgraded sound) than in other countries making the upgrade more difficult or impossible. I hope you would appreciate additional information from people who actually did some digging and sharing experiences. If you want to find out / confirm for pre 16LC, just look at those units on Alibaba (same as sold on Phoenix) and ask sellers to confirm compatibility. In most cases I got confirmation within 24-48 hours for 16+ LC. BTW you can get those units much cheaper there. Of course you can just buy from Phoenix and learn by trying to install and return if doesn't work. Good luck!

I’m curious how’s well this works with iPhone? Anybody try? Could a CarPlay dongle be added? I had an alpine unit with CarPlay in my 80 and it worked really well. All the other aftermarket iPhone compatible double din screens I’ve had in cars over the years have been terrible and glitchy...

let me know if anyone gets the rear dvd going [assuming the actual dvd/cd function is removed with this]

I had a detailer clean my car a few weeks ago....and now one of my buttons [climate] stopped working....I prefer to go with this unit than paying through the nose for the old technology.

bump.... rear dvd works? nice upgrade. thank you for the write up. i am considering this, but like everyone i have a 4 year old that uses the rear dvd on long trips.

Anyone take the plunge and try to get this working in a US spec cruiser?

I wonder if the compatibility is sound only, and this is perhaps overcome by an aftermarket amp or if none of the functions work?

very nice. that has been one of my complaints on my LC is that with such a high price tag, considering we all have smart phones and tables in our pockets daily, the touch screen is something that they picked up from 2004. It's just horribly out dated.

I am in discussion with a Chinese manufacturer of Android system that utilizes OEM screen but you have android box you can switch to. Per initial conversation it works with US JBL system for my LC16. Here it is a picture. I have sent few clarifying questions but may take a plunge to try it.

I am in discussion with a Chinese manufacturer of Android system that utilizes OEM screen but you have android box you can switch to. Per initial conversation it works with US JBL system for my LC16. Here it is a picture. I have sent few clarifying questions but may take a plunge to try it.View attachment 1909808
Vline has had something similar on the market for a while.

Saw them but nothing for LC and fairly pricey

The Vline Grom works in the Land Cruiser (at least some model years). I see they are adding Android Auto support this month. Seems like they have improved a lot over the last year. This may be a better option as the rear dvd should still work (which may or may not work with Phoenix/Smartytrend/Rhino radios), as well as the wiper heater, which is not supported by any of the Tesla style radios.

What pricing are you getting from your China source? Will it support steering wheel controls/android auto/etc?

The Vline Grom works in the Land Cruiser (at least some model years). I see they are adding Android Auto support this month. Seems like they have improved a lot over the last year. This may be a better option as the rear dvd should still work (which may or may not work with Phoenix/Smartytrend/Rhino radios), as well as the wiper heater, which is not supported by any of the Tesla style radios.

What pricing are you getting from your China source? Will it support steering wheel controls/android auto/etc?

Pricing tbd but it offers steering control, DVR, 360 cameras, integration with car sound, etc.... They still run on android 6 but mention that will offer an upgrade to 8. Question, what did you mean by android Auto? That start in android screen automatically with car start without pressing a button?

Pricing tbd but it offers steering control, DVR, 360 cameras, integration with car sound, etc.... They still run on android 6 but mention that will offer an upgrade to 8. Question, what did you mean by android Auto? That start in android screen automatically with car start without pressing a button?

No. Android Auto is a Google/Android Product that runs many apps off your phone on the cars touchscreen in a safer format: Android Auto

The 2020 Tacoma/4runner/etc. will have Android Auto built in (sounds like the 2020 LC may be left out). That way there is no need to tether or use bluetooth to get the system to work. Just plug your phone in and go. The lack of Android Auto and having to tether is what turned me off from this a year ago. Now that it has been upgraded to offer Android Auto, it may be a good solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom