TBI V8 Engine Swap Questions. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im doing a V8 + NV4500 swap on my 87 FJ60, I finally got the motor, trans, Tcase, and drivelines out. Im doing this swap with no prior experience so questions constantly come up that need answering.

My questions right now are: (please excuse me if any of the questions sound dumb)

1.) Do I need to Salvage any of the old Toyota wiring harness? How will the Toyota Headlights, blinkers, side markers, and tail lights work with the chevy V8 harness? Or are the wires for the lights completely separate from that of the engine wiring harness?

2.) Will I need to move any of the brake lines? Is It Necessary to remove the master cylinder and brake booster?

3.) Will I need to use the chevy Clutch master cylinder?

4.) Is their any use for the charcoal canister with the V8?

5.) Can I use any Of the stock Gauges (speed, rpm, fuel, battery, oil pressure) on the cruiser?

6.) Will the chevy ac Pump work with the toyota heater core?

Any useful tips you guys can throw out as well to help me better understand this process will be greatly appreciated, I know it requires a lot of work but at this point Im pretty damn committed so lets keep moving forward.

Congrats on committing to the swap! It will change your life...

I think the reason you have a few dozen views but no responses thus far is that a) we could use a bit more information (exactly what year and type of Chevy engine - it makes a difference!); and b) there are literally dozens of SBC and Vortec swap threads on this forum that you can get most of your answers through searching through those. Mine is one of the more recent (link in my signature box) but there are excellent swap threads with loads of information going back to around 2007. Most of the better threads are older; I think it was such a new and exciting thing from around 2007 to 2013 or so, then after so many people had done it the forum got saturated with swap threads and folks weren't as interested in posting/reading about them. That said, everyone remains very helpful especially when it's clear you've already done the research.

I suggest you flog the search function and read up as much as you can, especially regarding your specific type engine and the NV4500; that's a little different from most of the LS swaps that utilize the 4L60E or adapt to an H55.

To answer a couple of your questions above:

1) Get a specialty harness from Howell or Painless (there are others, too). They've seen this movie, and you can customize to your needs. I used Howell. Cost will run from about $700 for a very basic harness to $1,000 for custom options (like dual electric fans). Worth every penny, as it makes all the Toyota parts plug and play.

2) My brakes required no mods except maybe a slight bending of the hard brake lines. Oh, and an adapter for the vacuum line from the booster to the Vortec.

3 & 4) Can't help you there. Didn't use the charcoal canister in mine, but you're in CA and I'm not.

5) I used all my stock gauges, including the tach. The harness helps with this as does a couple items from Dakota Digital (details in my thread and many others). My tach and speedo precisely match my ScanGauge (though I had to calibrate the speedo). That said, some guys have done awesome things with aftermarket gauges; @NCFJ does this well. Also, see @theron 's Bean build for his integration of Speedhut gauges.

6) My Chevy a/c integrated just fine with my Toyota a/c and heater plumbing, but I had to have the hoses custom-made with GM fittings on one end and Toyota fittings on the other. Don't throw anything away when you are pulling stuff out and mark your a/c and heater hoses so you'll know what you need to do. Again, details on this in my thread and others; I don't know if there are significant differences between my FJ62 and your 60 or between the Gen III Vortec I have and your GM engine.

Hope this helps! Again, if you search for specifics and post more explicit details on your parts we can probably help out more. Good luck!

Is this going to need to pass Cali smog?

nothing unique about a TBI 5.7 swap compared to the other GM 5.7 swaps.

Yes there a few engine swap threads on 5.7 swaps.

no need to move brake master or hard brake lines.
yes the GM A/C compressor will work, you need to modify some A/C hoses to connect to the toyota evap core and condensor
yes you can use the stock gauges but its not plug and play

wiring depends on you with respect to the engine, the body wiring is a non issue if you use a stand alone engine harness, otherwise you will have to take the GM engine harness and modify it to work.

GM the yota and GM charocal cannisters and related plumbing so you can figure things out later

you probably need to figure out your engine placement, and fuel system setup first.

and I would suggest you go read through the various engine swap threads.....

assume you plan to use the stock transfer case? if so how are you going to mate the transmission with the transfercase?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom