Tall skinny tires (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

...l went with the Kenda’s also, and am pleased with them. At the time l bought ‘em there wasn’t much choice on 17’s.

View attachment 2960433

Although l gotta admit, l was “schooled” on tire height specifications by this thread.

View attachment 2960443

...unfortunately 35’s don’t really mean 35 inches tall,.. if l remember correctly (earlier in this thread) mine measured out 33 5/8 with 32 lbs. of air using Nolan’s (@wngrog ’s) method of measurement.
I bet with those "sidebiters" on the sidewall they do really great when aired down to about 12lb.

I like those Kenda Klever 35x12.50x17s. Great size although I haven't heard any long time reviews of Kenda and mileage/wearing. I love the Geolanders G003s and will probably just run the 285/75r17 over the klevers....although I can buy 5 for the price of 4 Yokohamas.

I"m a fan and run the tire, so take this fwiw . . . I looked and didn't find much for negative reviews. I did find quite a few positive reviews.
I've only put a 1k miles on them, so not a long term review in any way, they still have the new tire ride, but I'm feeling quite optimistic. Noise is slightly more or the same as my previous mild AT, less than well worn duratracs, and more than P rated Michelins.
I came from 129load LTmetric and the 121 load is much more enjoyable.
Traction has never been even a little bit of an issue, I've seen mud, snow, snow/ice, and rain of all types. Ice wasn't great, but what unstudded tire does well on ice? These can be studded if you really have that kind of winter use.

I"m a fan and run the tire, so take this fwiw . . . I looked and didn't find much for negative reviews. I did find quite a few positive reviews.
I've only put a 1k miles on them, so not a long term review in any way, they still have the new tire ride, but I'm feeling quite optimistic. Noise is slightly more or the same as my previous mild AT, less than well worn duratracs, and more than P rated Michelins.
I came from 129load LTmetric and the 121 load is much more enjoyable.
Traction has never been even a little bit of an issue, I've seen mud, snow, snow/ice, and rain of all types. Ice wasn't great, but what unstudded tire does well on ice? These can be studded if you really have that kind of winter use.
mine only have 700 miles on them. Highway only miles, so far.
Another plus to the Kenda’s are their heavy 3 ply sidewalls 👍🏻

I have been watching for a deal on the Kanati Mud Hog 35x10x15. Missed out on a black friday sale last year through Ebay and it just hasnt been a priority to buy new tires for a truck that doesnt need them. Facebook marketplace algorithm put a set right in my lap today and Im pretty excited.

They measure 34.25” tall and tread width is 8.25” un-mounted. 55.2 lbs per tire. Will follow up once i get them mounted up on a set of factory 15x5.5 FJ40 wheels with further data.

7A517241-EA02-409A-A9EF-FC21924A1038.jpeg
F067A1E9-320E-42FA-A670-D2C02B6466B7.jpeg
318AAF31-2D81-4D0B-83F2-6E75C6C0091D.jpeg

D46BB543-67B2-4F3C-BD99-58CF0CB44762.jpeg

I have been watching for a deal on the Kanati Mud Hog 35x10x15. Missed out on a black friday sale last year through Ebay and it just hasnt been a priority to buy new tires for a truck that doesnt need them. Facebook marketplace algorithm put a set right in my lap today and Im pretty excited.

They measure 34.25” tall and tread width is 8.25” un-mounted. 55.2 lbs per tire. Will follow up once i get them mounted up on a set of factory 15x5.5 FJ40 wheels with further data.

View attachment 2994150View attachment 2994151View attachment 2994152
View attachment 2994153
Dude, those look rad. So skinny also. Looking forward to seeing them mounted. They may look good on a lower lift fj40, likely not as good on a SOA rig...?

Dude, those look rad. So skinny also. Looking forward to seeing them mounted. They may look good on a lower lift fj40, likely not as good on a SOA rig...?
We will see. They are going to replace the 37x12.5’s on my spring over ‘71 FJ40. The 37’s are just too much tire for an un-cut truck. Maybe Ill change my mind on that once i get them mounted and installed and put them on the SUA truck wit 2” lift. Will likely need some extended shackles to look right on the smaller 40.

We will see. They are going to replace the 37x12.5’s on my spring over ‘71 FJ40. The 37’s are just too much tire for an un-cut truck. Maybe Ill change my mind on that once i get them mounted and installed and put them on the SUA truck wit 2” lift. Will likely need some extended shackles to look right on the smaller 40.

Yeah, no way to know until they are mounted up! My last 40 was SOA, but low and was sprung over using stock flat springs, so this tire would have still looked pretty good with that truck. My current truck is stock on 33's, and looking forward to seeing yours when the new tires are on!

There are alot of options for tire use for off road/slow speed vehicles. I wouldn't want to use tires not made made for road vehicles on the highway. I've looked at UTV tires before and thought of this. If you found some UTV tires that had the weight capacity to support your LC and you only drove your LC in places/speeds where you would drive a UTV(off road, dirt roads, slow speeds on the occasional back road), you'd probably be fine as long as you didn't cause an accident due to a tire blowing out on a public road. I think an overloaded UTV tire would fail prematurely if driven at highway speed on hot pavement....When/if that failure would occur? who knows?.......

On my 82' pu, I had to keep the original 15" wheels with no lift, so running a utv tire was the only option in my eyes. Granted it only weights about 2300 lbs (load rating 1820lbs per tire) and tops out at 75 mph. Bought some toyo open country sxs 32x9.5r15 and they are fantastic, put about 4000 miles on them last summer and they still look good, get comments all the time on how tall/skinny they look.

IMG_20210503_213048_448.jpg

On my 82' pu, I had to keep the original 15" wheels with no lift, so running a utv tire was the only option in my eyes. Granted it only weights about 2300 lbs (load rating 1820lbs per tire) and tops out at 75 mph. Bought some toyo open country sxs 32x9.5r15 and they are fantastic, put about 4000 miles on them last summer and they still look good, get comments all the time on how tall/skinny they look.

View attachment 3012925
They do look good. Love the 80-83 pickups body style. I used to have an 81'. There are tires marketed as "UTV tires" that seem very much like road vehicle tires(like yours) and there are UTV tires that are obviously not like a road tire. It would be interesting if someone in the tire industry could say what the difference is between a "road tire type marketed and sold for UTV's" and a "similar tire marketed for road vehicles"............I would guess that for US sales each tire size/type that has a "DOT APPROVED" stamp has gone through an expensive testing and certification process. Perhaps the market is so small for the type of tires like you have that the companies don't want to bother with certifying their tires but will sell them for UTV's.???

The load rating on the Goodrich UTV tires is 22% less then the automotive spec tires, with the same speed rating. With a gross weight limit of close to 8000 pounds, using UTV tires. I would think the UTV tires are more then adequate for an FJ40, with a 4500 gvwr.

Last edited:
Ok. My decade old Km2 BFG’s are a decade old. Still has some tread left but I want something newer/safer.
I’ve just started searching. Seeing mostly AT’s available. I’m seeing KM3’s out of stock.
Any ideas or knowledge of any sales and availability? I’m willing to go outside of BFGs although, they’ve given me no problems over highway and wheeling over the last decade.
Also, sticking with oem 15 in wheels.

View attachment 2994153
Did you ever mount these? Thoughts? Pics?

Did you ever mount these? Thoughts? Pics?
I have not yet. Probably be July before i get to it due to other commitments. Ive read a ton of great reviews about these tires. Unfortunately, they are going on truck that will not get a ton of miles and will never see off road use. Just got them for the tall skinny look/stance.

I have not yet. Probably be July before i get to it due to other commitments. Ive read a ton of great reviews about these tires. Unfortunately, they are going on truck that will not get a ton of miles and will never see off road use. Just got them for the tall skinny look/stance.
Nice! Keep us posted. Curious on how they’ll look. And if you’d consider selling them, I might be interested.

View attachment 2994153
Hey @EWheeler I’m interested in seeing how these tires look on your truck, and by looking online, it doesn’t seem to be a tire that is very available right now

Any ideas, or do I just need to keep my eye on eBay

Hey @EWheeler I’m interested in seeing how these tires look on your truck, and by looking online, it doesn’t seem to be a tire that is very available right now

Any ideas, or do I just need to keep my eye on eBay
They are on ebay for pretty cheap. $8xx for 4 . I'd buy them myself if I wanted to fit 35s on this 40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom