Sub-par Heater output; '88 V6 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ntsqd

technerd
Threads
With my '84 Xcab the heater could roast you out of the cab. The 4rnnr's heater is marginal, even for SoKA. Is it just that there's a lot more volume in the 4rnnr to heat, or is there something wrong? This truck does not have the rear heater.

Do you have a real temp gauge? My guess is your thermostat is stick open and the engine is not getting fully warm. Or, your valve is no good. On the coldest mornings my 4R warms up fast and hot.

Last edited:
Thank you, didn't know if there was a problem or if this was normal.

Stock temp gauge that does consistently change its needle position during warm-up. It's an aftermarket (plastic) heater control valve. I'll look for an OEM one to replace it.

OK, so, everyone is asking about water flow. How's the air flow? Is it pushing a suitable amount of air or not?

Air flow might be a bit low compared to the Xcab, but there's a time gap there so I can't be sure. It is not a poor flow when set at max, it does move some air. When I was looking at how to plumb the ARB air tubing (see: Post #33: '88 4runner (ntsqd)) I found that I could look into the fan's housing with the glove box removed and see the fan. It is not clogged or covered with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom