Stock Shock Replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently picked up a '97 FZJ80 that's pretty much bone stock. The PO installed Gabriel Ultra truck shocks and struts. Meh. I'd like to replace them with something more capable as well as a set of 285 BFG AT's. The truck is now my DD. I commute a few hundred miles a week with it, a lot of which is highway driving. I want to keep a nice ride for hauling my family around, and plan to do some wheeling on weekends. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old Man Emu seems to be the golden standard. My 97 collectors edition has Rancho 5000 shocks installed by the p.o. They're a little stiff when the truck is empty, but they smooth out nicely with the family and a bunch of gear inside. As far as I know, my springs are original.

I also have a 97 LX 450 with the soft factory shocks that came on the Lexus badged trucks. Those shocks are a tad too soft in my opinion.

Last edited:
Bilstein makes stock height shocks that get favorable reviews here. They maybe a better match for the stock springs than the Tokico shocks. I find the stock Tokico shocks to be too harsh.

Sent from my XT1080

Last edited:
I was looking for what shocks and springs to put on my LC too. I think Ill go with what Qball said.

The factory Tokico shocks available through Toyota dealers everywhere -- and even cheaper through MUD vendors (~$150/4) -- is hard to beat on performance or price. It's actually designed specifically for the 80.

I'd second the motion on new stock height coils. Coil springs lose their mojo over time. You think it's just the shocks, but you'll find considerably more improvement with the OME 861/862 coil combo. You need a little weight in the truck to get the best from them, but it's not hard to come up with the 200 lbs of extra capacity they give. Note that nothing other than replacing the coils is needed, making this a very simple :banana: task. The stock shocks fit fine and no caster adjustment is needed.

Unless you know the coils were previously replaced, you're likely riding on the originals. And they are very weary, BTDT. You'll enjoy a greatly improved ride and better performance by doing coils and shocks.

The factory Tokico shocks available through Toyota dealers everywhere -- and even cheaper through MUD vendors (~$150/4) -- is hard to beat on performance or price. It's actually designed specifically for the 80.

I'd second the motion on new stock height coils. Coil springs lose their mojo over time. You think it's just the shocks, but you'll find considerably more improvement with the OME 861/862 coil combo. You need a little weight in the truck to get the best from them, but it's not hard to come up with the 200 lbs of extra capacity they give. Note that nothing other than replacing the coils is needed, making this a very simple :banana: task. The stock shocks fit fine and no caster adjustment is needed.

Unless you know the coils were previously replaced, you're likely riding on the originals. And they are very weary, BTDT. You'll enjoy a greatly improved ride and better performance by doing coils and shocks.

Sorry to bother you and I have read it about it before in resurrected threads in a roundabout way, is there a spring that will work well with the Tokicos that would give about 1-2.5 inches of lift, with better or at least the same ride quality?

I picked up stock height OME springs and Bilstein shocks, really happy with the result.

I picked up stock height OME springs and Bilstein shocks, really happy with the result.

5100's? I'm considering Bilsteins with OME stock height. Qball's spot on, thanks.

Does CDan have these tokico's? My second 80 needs shocks and I don't want to drop the cheddar on the OME standard length shocks.

Does CDan have these tokico's? My second 80 needs shocks and I don't want to drop the cheddar on the OME standard length shocks.

He should, that's where mine came from, but it's been a few years, AFAIK still a Toyota stock item.

Note that the Tokicos work great until you get considerably past stock weight up front (as in my sig line). If you need to dampen all that, then go with the OME for the fronts. That's worked out really well for me.

Last edited:
I second greentrucks suggestion. I have that exact setup on my 97' and have been very pleased. It is a great cost effective solution. I started with the full OME stock level lift kit which included the 861/862 springs and the Nitro Charger Sport shocks. It ended up being to stiff and harsh of a ride for myself and wife. So this past summer I switched to the OEM shocks (from beno) and it resulted in a much more comfortable ride both on and off road.

My $0.02.

recently changed out front springs and shocks for OME 861's / and 60018 nitrochargers, and found my passenger side spring broke, so after 18+ years they are definitely wore out....having said that I have not driven it enough to comment on how good/harsh the ride is, but I am a single dude so no princess at the moment to say "its too harsh" and I bought all this stuff while doing a 4 month traveling for work adventure and it was easier to get the OME stuff ordered while in hotel rooms across the country than pick and choose individual parts and then not have ordered the right parts........

Had the truck on the lift for some rust prevention and it turns out that it already has OME 861/862's installed. So now I'd like to throw on some Tokico's. Can you tell me the best way to contact CDan to order? Thanks

Can you give me the model number Tokico shocks for my 84 fj60? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom