Stlca chit-chat (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Hugh Heifer I bumped over to your chat thread, looks like you're back for good. Glad to have you home.

The destroyed shed has me needing to lighten the load a bit thanks to less dry storage space. Any ideas on what I should ask for a complete drum front end from a 40 (71 or so if that matters)? How about a floor shift three speed with a rebuilt case and the big conversion kit for a chevy install (aluminum bell housing, engine and tranny mounts, flywheel, clutch, and all the little bits)? Transfer was rebuilt by Steve's off road before they closed up shop.

Conversion parts should be worth a few hundred I would think. Not sure what it went for new, but I'd say 75%-80% of retail wouldn't be unreasonable to start at. Case and trans, $400-$500 if the combo is in good shape and you have all the linkage.

The front axle, probably not much unless someone is looking for a resto project. It likely has the course spline outers and the drums will likely just get chucked for a disc conversion and mini-truck outers. The housing and chunk will be where the $$ is in that.

And I have no idea if those are reasonable numbers or not, but its a place for someone who knows the market better than me to tell you how far off I am...:)

My tires have been recalled on the F150. I get to pick ANY tire I want, regardless of price and they pay for full replacement. The tires on it are BFG and they want me to stay in the family (KO, Michelin, etc) but it is not a requirement. So, price aside, what advice might you give? I'm considering Nitto Grappler, BFG KO, Duratrac, well, whatever - sky is the limit, advice needed! I do tow some, not a lot. Minor off road, but mostly dirt or mud. Lots of around town and highway. No burnouts, ha. Thanks!

If it is mostly a daily, I would go for a KO2. They generally have a good load rating and are a good dual purpose tire that will get you good mileage. Now that said, if you don't do a ton of driving or if you just want to go for something different since you aren't footing the bill, then I might go for something a little more aggressive just because. I put a set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my F250 and I really like them. They aren't too loud on the road and seem to be wearing well. The ones I put on are load range E so no issues with towing with them.

I was a huge fan of the old Cooper STTs, but I haven't been able to get fully behind the new style. I like them, just not my favorite as far as styling.

I have been wanting to get some feedback on the new Nitto Ridge Grappler and I might give them a whirl if I wasn't writing the check.

So I guess if you are taking suggestions, I would go with either the KO2 or maybe the Ridge Grappler if i was mostly pavement pounding, but if I wanted something a little more aggressive, my current tire of choice to maintain some on-road manners would be the MTZ or maybe the new Cooper STT Pro. I picked those for MTs because they have some siping for better wet weather traction since you will want to drive it in the rain.

When I was looking recently, I went to 4wheelparts website and put in the size I was shopping for and just looked at everything they had in that size. They have a pretty good selection that you can cruise thru to get an idea. They don't carry Toyo and Cooper so if you are looking at those then you will have to do a little shopping around.

My tires have been recalled on the F150. I get to pick ANY tire I want, regardless of price and they pay for full replacement. The tires on it are BFG and they want me to stay in the family (KO, Michelin, etc) but it is not a requirement. So, price aside, what advice might you give? I'm considering Nitto Grappler, BFG KO, Duratrac, well, whatever - sky is the limit, advice needed! I do tow some, not a lot. Minor off road, but mostly dirt or mud. Lots of around town and highway. No burnouts, ha. Thanks!

What were the ones recalled?

BFG Rugged Terrain. BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A | TireBuyer

I actually like the tire quite a bit...had a flat and my first plug wouldn't hold so I checked for a replacement; that's when I discovered that mine were recalled and are NLA. Second plug held, so I'm doing some research now. These have been good for MANY miles on the F150, are strong for hauling, and have great traction - mine have 20k and still 75%+ tread.

What were the ones recalled?

Very disappointed I am not going to make it to GSMTR. Just too much going on with work and the new house....and then Penny started spewing PS fluid. At least she waited until I own a garage again.

Very disappointed I am not going to make it to GSMTR. Just too much going on with work and the new house....and then Penny started spewing PS fluid. At least she waited until I own a garage again.

We are all disappointed we won't get to see you Hugh, hopefully it can happen soon.

Yo guys. Sorry I.missed GSMTR. With all the stuff happening surrounding the home purchase it just was not in the cards.
We went to Fairfax to pick up a lawn tractor. On the way home one Sunday we saw lots of Cruisers headed east.

Thought I would show off my new toy holding up my old toy.

IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0816.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG

Still have to adjust it around a bit to get it in that perfect spot before I anchor it down. Just couldn't wait to try it out.

That is awesome Rocky! Will make that motor swap changing the oil in the Solstice much easier.

What made you go 4 post over a 2 post?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom