STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

very nice Sir, very nice. that is a good looking LX. Specs when you get time :)
'96 lx450, 221k miles, HG replaced @ 200k, OME 2.5" Heavy F/R, 2' front coil spacers, 3x locked, 35" m/t. Need to install the caster plates that came with the lift. Thinking I may go to 37s, but not sure.

Last edited:
that's awesome that you have the HG already done. When I bought my LX, the PO had just done HG, front and rear main seals.... I basically stole it from him, LOL

'96 lx450, 221k miles, HG replaced @ 200k, OME 2.5" Heavy F/R, 2 front coil spacers, 3x locked, 35" m/t. Need to install the caster plates that came with the lift. Thinking I may go to 37s, but not sure.

If you are thinking about 37's, @ToyotaTrailTeam has 37's on his 80, and he had to do some strong mods to get them to clear without rubbing. IIRC he has OME "J" lift with additional spacers front and rear...

If you are thinking about 37's, @ToyotaTrailTeam has 37's on his 80, and he had to do some strong mods to get them to clear without rubbing. IIRC he has OME "J" lift with additional spacers front and rear...
Do you know if the J springs are taller than the OME heavies?

Also, do you know what rpm you turn at 70mph with your 35s and stock gears?

J's are taller than heavies. Average gain over stock with J's is usually 4"-5" depending on the way of the old coils. Over the heavies you will probably see 2" or so.

From an old post I made regarding springs:

861 Front/ 862 Rear - "stock" replacement and should net you about 1" over standard stock

851 Front/ 860 Rear - "light" lift, should get you 2.5" +/- with no added weight

850 Front/ 860 Rear - some call this the heavy/medium setup, this is generally good for 2" - 2.5" with a winch and bumper up front and nothing added to the rear

850 Front/ 863 Rear - known as the heavy/heavy setup is good for 2.5" or so with bumpers on both ends, and some other misc. armor

Then we get into the J springs which will get you up into the 4" or so range if loaded light. If you run loaded heavy all around then the J's will push down into that 3" range, but you really need to put some load on it, like several hundred pounds.

For 37s your going to need the height, but if you want s better ride and want to stick with 35s, I'd look at slinky, icon, or some of the new players. Lots better options out there these days for that 3" range.

That is awesome info Matthew, thanks! Is there anyway to identify the springs? The guy I bought it with said they were heavies, but I'd like to double check if I can. Any stampings on them?

@Bama4door if they didn't get pulled off during the installation, there is typically a tag on the coil with the numbers on them. Unless they just make it a point to pull them off they should still be on them.

Bout half way up the coil on the picture below.

0612161652a_HDR-1.jpg

If the tags are gone, I'm not sure if there is a way to do it. Maybe pulling them and measuring free length or counting coils or something like that, but I wouldn't know how to I'd them from that

IMG_5491.JPG
IMG_5492.JPG
Here's my fix for the weak pot metal breaking the clip edge off my mirror post. Make sure not to pinch the wires when you hammer the roll pin in. I used a 3/16" roll pin. Also bought a much weaker spring, same OD just smaller wire diameter (0.095" vs 0.188"). Seems to work fine.

IMG_5494.JPG

uh oh!.....seems like the project 80 has a new home...

Cole this looks like maybe a medium rear and heavy front, since it has such a level stance. Or it could be heavy rear and heavy front with spacer up front

Nice!
It has 2.5" spacers in the front. I believe the rear is probably heavy springs because it's prettt stiff going over bumps. I need to get some armor on this thing.

It has 2.5" spacers in the front. I believe the rear is probably heavy springs because it's prettt stiff going over bumps. I need to get some armor on this thing.

It's cool you got the lift and tires already at least! To answer your previous question about stock gears and 35's, it seems like there are a lot of opinions out there about this subject. My plans are to keep the stock gears, since it rolls well on the road (for me) and at highway speed of 70-75 its in a comfortable 2250-2500 range RPM. For off road, I someday will do the marlin low range transfer case gears so that I can get that lower crawl ratio without sacrificing on road performance, since it's my DD.

That said, I have driven @ToyotaTrailTeam 80 series, and the 5.29 gears with the lower transfer case gears is an awesome setup....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom