STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You know it! :D

Our Part# BKN60570N is the common 80 master used on 4x/6x/7x upgrades.

Kurt is that also the one a person would need to use on an FJ80 that is getting a FF swap and FZJ parts up front?

well...I may enter the FJ80 landscape.....seriously thinking of acquiring an 80 and swapping 5.3 or 6.0 GM V8. Right now I'm looking around, asking questions, researching...etc. To say I'm impressed with the 6.0 engine's performance is an understatement, as I think its a great truck engine GM has had around for a few years in the 2500 and 3500 HD truck bodies.

I'm sure the V8 would be a great power increase, especially for a heavy 80, but I've had 2 80 series now, and I love those 1FZ engines. I have 260,000 on my lx450 and it runs like a top. Great torque on trails and the acceleration isn't as bad as people talk about. I'm running stock gears on 35's too!

I also haven't driven in a LS powered 80 either... :hillbilly:

Kurt is that also the one a person would need to use on an FJ80 that is getting a FF swap and FZJ parts up front?

It certainly could. We have a few options for that too :D

It certainly could. We have a few options for that too :D

Ok, so 1992 FJ80 getting later model FZJ rotors and calipers up front and a FF rear swapped in. What part number should i call and ask for?

Ok, so 1992 FJ80 getting later model FZJ rotors and calipers up front and a FF rear swapped in. What part number should i call and ask for?

BKN60540N

I'm having some trans shifting issues with my '93. I've read a ton of threads on problems with shift solenoids, Neutral safety switch and possible adjustment to shift cable. Here is what I am experiencing.

-When in D, it seems to take off in 2nd or 3rd gear, very slow to accelerate.
-When I start off in L1, it takes off like it should, I can then shift manually up to D with no issues.
-When I select a gear, I get no illumination on the PRND2L indicator both on the dash and console telling me which gear I'm in.
-Trans fluid has been drained and re-filled, checked warm while running on flat ground, level ok.
-ECT button works as it should, holding shift time longer but still have the problem in D.

Any help is much appreciated.

@sk8salomon try this simple trick. Disconnect the + and - battery terminals and leave it for 24hrs. Then reconnect + first and then reconnect - side. Hopefully that will fix it.

not the 80 person, but I've noted where those that are....advise on proper adjustment of the "kick-down" cable. I though that there was "feature" about it starting out in 2nd rather that 1st...maybe I'm "dreaming" but seems like I've read that on the 80's forum or somewhere.

I don't think the A442F had a 2nd start feature. I believe that came with the 343F trans in the 95+ trucks.

It sounds like the solenoid based on what I've read. I found this thread where they are discussing throwing a trans code: Does the A442F have 2nd start?

Is the O/D light blinking? it also mentions that the manual shift generally still works even if the solenoid is going out.

Other than offering more reading material, I can't offer much as I have the old A440F in both my trucks and one is about to get jerked out for an h42 swap.

Thanks Matthew, no blinking O/D light but I'm wondering if the bulb is burned out. I read in past threads where guys couldn't diagnose issues because the CEL & O/D light were out. I'm still digging but I'm feeling a little better in that I might be able to fix it. Once I found trans trouble, I honestly have been thinking time to dump my project truck, cut my losses and get out. Stay tuned.

The A442F is suppossed to be a pretty robust unit, the solenoids seem to be their Achilles heel. No idea how hard they are to replace, but hopefully not bad and you will be back up and running. I'd say finding a good replacement taillight may be the tougher order.

My '94 used to have a "clunky" transmission for sure, especially when downshifting. the A343 I have in my '96 is much more smooth shifting, with different shifting ratios also. My '94 was a bit "slower" to accelerate also, but it would come off of the line faster than you are talking about. Hmmm... Could be what Matthew is talking about?

@sk8salomon hope you get this sorted. Saw your thread in the main forum and looked like some good advice. I also got reminded why I limit my time over there. Your question did not warrant the FSM response, which was not helpful in the slightest, eapecially given the well written post that it followed...

Sorry, that was off-topic but needed to air that out, anyway, continued luck on sorting it out.

Oh yeah, its MUD. It just rubbed me wrong. Some of the follow-ups by the other guy were better, but the generic "get a manual" one just sat wrong.

Anyway, you been able to fiddle with it any? I know how it goes as ive got a pile, literally a crate full, of stuff to throw at several different projects, but time is always tight around my place.

made some headway tonight but cut short due to darkness & rain. Found out that the '93 is OBD1 gen, so after looking under the driver's dash for 10 minutes I finally looked on mud...doh! As you know, the diagnostics plug is engine fire wall passenger side. Good news is that after running diagnostics check, all is ok (at least no codes I mean). I updated the thread on the 80's section, some really nice diagnostics manuals other guys have posted. Been reading up on those. Stay tuned.

Good luck dude! We are pulling for you, and we arent worried about anything the main forum says...

Yeah, and I'm glad its a nice rig, because if it was dented up I'd be pulling against you cause I need a cheap 80 that I can cut up and wheel the pee out of. :cool:

IMG_5119.JPG
All fixed!!!!

Does anybody have a FSM for a '93? I've searched online but can't find what I'm looking for. I need a pic in the electrical diagram showing the Neutral Safety Switch wiring to the main harness. There should be a 9-pin barrel connector that has 8 wires in and 7 wires out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom