STLCA 80 Series Club Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

has anybody ever dropped the tank in an 80? It looks like I'm hitting the driveshaft slightly. I've got everything loose and the tank is ready to fall out, just barely hitting the yoke on the driveshaft t-case side.

IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
Found a good pump assy & clean tank at a local pick & pull. There's an LX450 sitting in there pretty picked over. I found it helps to remove the thru bolt for the rear drivers side link bar. The flange on the tank hits that nut. Pump works, got both for $50!!! Installed a new pickup strainer & plan to replace the inline filter next. Ive heard it's a real PITA?

If that picture you posted is the LX, I'm not sure "picked over" is the proper term. that thing has been ransacked. Wish they would show up once in a while around here and that I could get there before someone strips the axles out...

Seriously, I just watched a youtube video on the FZJ80 fuel filter change. Are you FN serious??? It looks like you have to remove the intake manifold to access it. Has anybody done this? What does the FSM say?

Seriously, I just watched a youtube video on the FZJ80 fuel filter change. Are you FN serious??? It looks like you have to remove the intake manifold to access it. Has anybody done this? What does the FSM say?
It's not too terrible just expect to lose a layer of skin off your arms. I unbolted the lines from the filter then used a long extension to unbolt the filter from the bottom side.

3FE for the win, bolted to the passenger side frame rail opposite the spring tower. 30 minute job tops. :D

IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5034.JPG
With this nice weather I got some work done on the 80 today. The new used tank & pump assy went in fine. Last week I pulled all the carpet out and pressure washed. It's been hanging in my carport all week drying. Put the carpet & middle seats back in. Next I'm going to loosen the fuel connections on the lovely fuel filter and try and pump fresh gas thru the lines. With hopes, I'll be able to put the new filter in.

I poured 5 gallons of fuel in today, turned the key on & off a few times to prime it and the damn thing started right up!!! I'll probably still go ahead and change out the fuel filter but I was shocked how well it runs. Once it warmed up after 10 min I noticed a very slight bump in the idle so I'm wondering if plugs or wires are next. Suggestions? Temp came up fine, oil pressure was good, revs strong so next I need to take it out for a test drive.

Pull the plugs, Sean - pretty sure I kept my old ones as back-ups for the trail last I changed them, so I can toss you a good used one to try if you see one in bad shape. I'm fearing a gummed up injector - also, likely to have idle/running problems with that drier hose intake.

I poured 5 gallons of fuel in today, turned the key on & off a few times to prime it and the damn thing started right up!!! I'll probably still go ahead and change out the fuel filter but I was shocked how well it runs. Once it warmed up after 10 min I noticed a very slight bump in the idle so I'm wondering if plugs or wires are next. Suggestions? Temp came up fine, oil pressure was good, revs strong so next I need to take it out for a test drive.

IMG_5037.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG
Drove the 80 today, overall I am impressed. It has a slight bearing rattle coming from one of the pulleys. I suspect similar to the 100 idler pulley issue, the bearing can be pressed out and new one put in. Looking into the belt orientation I noticed something. Does this look right? I'm wondering if the belt goes on the flat side of this pulley? It's hardly even touching the outer diameter while running. My belt install sticker is gone apparently unless it's hidden in a special place?

Sean, I believe that belt is routed correctly. I've heard of guys just pulling the idler all together and running without it and have no issues.

reminds me of the wonderful idler for the A/C belt on the 2F in FJ60 form...

Am I seeing things....that belt looks in bad shape or is that just crap on belt

IMG_5060.JPG
More fun w the 80. I may have found the slight idle stumble. Looks like the vac switch valve under the intake is missing a hose. Found this hose assy down by the fender. Anybody know the correct routing for this?

I want to swap out brake master cylinder on my 60 and use a master from a 93FJ80 non ABS. Any good sources for this to include the reservoir and cap (entire part) ?

Looked around rock auto...even auto zone and advance auto....for ideas

@cruiseroutfit I think could get you one, or the PN is around here somewhere on MUD somewhere for the non-ABS unit if you want to go the OE route.

I want to swap out brake master cylinder on my 60 and use a master from a 93FJ80 non ABS. Any good sources for this to include the reservoir and cap (entire part) ?

@cruiseroutfit I think could get you one, or the PN is around here somewhere on MUD somewhere for the non-ABS unit if you want to go the OE route.

You know it! :D

Our Part# BKN60570N is the common 80 master used on 4x/6x/7x upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom