Steering Wheel Upgrade 16+ LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 2016 land cruiser which had some nicks on the steering wheel from the previous user. It wasn't the infamous peeling problem found on the 16-17 wheels, but it appears to be some nicks from a wedding ring on the left hand. I did wrap the original wheel with a loncky steering wheel wrap, but I was not a fan of how thick it made the wheel feel.

Since the steering wheel is the one item you are constantly using while driving, I thought it was worth the $750 to purchase a new wheel. Turns out, it appears in 2020 Mr. T released a full leather wrapped wheel w/ a heating element.

Part: 45100-60A91-C0

The part is a plug and play item with no additional modifications being necessary, and boy, is it a treat with a HUGE upgrade in feel. This is the steering wheel Toyota should have shipped from the factory.

I was hoping the wheel would be heated all the way around, but it's only in the same area as the plastic wood wheel. Though, it appears the heat is MUCH better than the old 7 year old wheel, so I'll take the win on that one. I am unsure if it's due to the wheel being 7 years old or if it's a different heating element.

It does have gray stitching on the wheel (which honestly looks completely fine), but I could not find one that was fully leather wrapped with black/white stitching and had the heated function.

IMG_0753.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

I used this video to help replace the wheel:

The guide is fairly helpful, but I would add some pointers which weren't covered in the video:

1: First step is to undo the battery to minimize the chance of an airbag deployment.
2. Ensure the steering wheel is straight up and down with your tires pointed straight forward.
3. After undoing the steering wheel nut (19 mm), turn the steering wheel to one side (1-2 degrees) to lock it and remove the slack in the wheel, then use a sharpie or paint marker to mark where the steering wheel shaft mates with the old steering wheel. After removing the wheel, do your best to eye ball and transfer the paint mark to the new wheel. Then simply turn the steering wheel to the same lock position and line up the paint lines while installing the new wheel. (this is to ensure the new wheel isn't cockeyed when going straight down the road)
4. I would advise getting a steering wheel puller to avoid damaging the expensive steering link assembly. I used a cheap harbor freight special which did the trick. Steering Wheel Remover Set - https://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-63685.html

This job took around 45 minutes and is a fairly easy install. I would not be intimidated about this job at all after doing it.

Last edited:
Great tech!

One thing I'd add that is a general guideline when working with modern steering wheels and their sensitive clock spring assembly.. be very, very careful not to lose clock spring orientation which can make you risk over winding it. Many of them cannot handle any winding past what they'd see in normal steering wheel operation lock to lock. I ruined one on a past car by going maybe a third of a turn past the intended range.

Anyone following the above advice to mark the wheel orientation shouldn't have a problem with it though.

Thanks for the great thread

Thanks Bloc! Agreed!

I would not want to mess around with replacing a broken clock spring on these rigs.

Last edited:
I purchased a 2016 land cruiser which had some nicks on the steering wheel from the previous user. It wasn't the infamous peeling problem found on the 16-17 wheels, but it appears to be some nicks from a wedding ring on the left hand. I did wrap the original wheel with a loncky steering wheel wrap, but I was not a fan of how thick it made the wheel feel.

Since the steering wheel is the one item you are constantly using while driving, I thought it was worth the $750 to purchase a new wheel. Turns out, it appears in 2020 Mr. T released a full leather wrapped wheel w/ a heating element.

The part is a plug and play item with no additional modifications being necessary, and boy, is it a treat with a HUGE upgrade in feel. This is the steering wheel Toyota should have shipped from the factory.

I was hoping the wheel would be heated all the way around, but it's only in the same area as the plastic wood wheel. Though, it appears the heat is MUCH better than the old 7 year old wheel, so I'll take the win on that one. I am unsure if it's due to the wheel being 7 years old or if it's a different heating element.

It does have gray stitching on the wheel (which honestly looks completely fine), but I could not find one that was fully leather wrapped with black/white stitching and had the heated function.

View attachment 3262756

View attachment 3262757

The guide is fairly helpful, but I would add some pointers which weren't covered in the video:

1: First step is to undo the battery to minimize the chance of an airbag deployment.
2. Ensure the steering wheel is straight up and down with your tires pointed straight forward.
3. After undoing the steering wheel nut (19 mm), turn the steering wheel to one side (1-2 degrees) to lock it and remove the slack in the wheel, then use a sharpie or paint marker to mark where the steering wheel shaft mates with the old steering wheel. After removing the wheel, do your best to eye ball and transfer the paint mark to the new wheel. Then simply turn the steering wheel to the same lock position and line up the paint lines while installing the new wheel. (this is to ensure the new wheel isn't cockeyed when going straight down the road)
4. I would advise getting a steering wheel puller to avoid damaging the expensive steering link assembly. I used a cheap harbor freight special which did the trick. Steering Wheel Remover Set - https://www.harborfreight.com/steering-wheel-remover-set-63685.html

This job took around 45 minutes and is a fairly easy install. I would not be intimidated about this job at all after doing it.

Would you say the quality of the leather is the same as the original? Or seem more durable?

Question: What is the torque on the steering wheel nut?

Also, When I look up that part Toyota says it does not fit a 2016, why is that?

Part 45100-60A91-C0

Link

Last edited:
The leather feels very nice and is comparable to the leather we get here in the US. The jury is still out on durability of this, but I would have to imagine the leather won’t suffer from the notorious 16-17 peeling issues since it appears they fixed that in the 18+ model years.

Since I like to drive with one hand resting on the top of the wheel (manual driving habit), the leather is a massive upgrade over the slippery wood in stock form.

Torque settings on the 19mm nut per the FSM is 37 ft lbs or 50 nm.

I believe this wheel was released in the later years which is why the site says it does not fit the earlier 2016-2017 model years. I can confirm this is fake news and the wheel fits just fine.

Last edited:
It's also not like they have someone test fitting every part. Some parts came on some platforms with certain options, others didn't. At times they can infer that something should fit, but often they don't, because virtually no one is asking.

The wood is cooler to touch when it's over 100 degrees if parked in the sun. The leather heats up to where you need gloves.
I haven't fixed mine yet, debating replacement vs. local auto upholstery quoted $150.

Last edited:
Good point for the leather being hot in the summer. However, the increased grip to turn these heavy beasts is much appreciated with the leather on top, and that’s an all year round event.

The replacement wheel is expensive, but the leather is very tight and high quality. I drove my morning commute to work this morning and it was a game changer in this 20 degree weather. It is worth every penny.

One thing about having the wheel being reupholstered is the top part would be thicker if they were to wrap leather over the wood part. I prefer thinner steering wheels and that’s why I was not a fan of the Loncky wrap which some other users have used.

Last edited:
Good point for the leather being hot in the summer. However, the increased grip to turn these heavy beasts is much appreciated with the leather on top, and that’s an all year round event.

The replacement wheel is expensive, but the leather is very tight and high quality. I drove my morning commute to work this morning and it was a game changer in this 20 degree weather. It is worth every penny.

One thing about having the wheel being reupholstered is the top part would be thicker if they were to wrap leather over the wood part. I prefer thinner steering wheels and that’s why I was not a fan of the Loncky wrap which some other users have used.

This is good info, I made a post asking about options like this just a few days ago. I don't love the wood either. I'm in Wyoming, it gets really cold and I'd really prefer to have the whole wheel heated. Sounds like that's not the case with this wheel, nor any I have been able to find. I wouldn't mind it a bit thicker though, my 22 tundra is thicker and feels great.

View attachment 3262756

View attachment 3262757

Someone educate me as to why none of the aftermarket options like this one can have heating on the entire wheel. I contacted a couple of custom steering wheel builders and they told me heat can only be where it was factory. If the element is replaced such as the OP mentioned, why couldn't it wrap the whole wheel?

Someone educate me as to why none of the aftermarket options like this one can have heating on the entire wheel. I contacted a couple of custom steering wheel builders and they told me heat can only be where it was factory. If the element is replaced such as the OP mentioned, why couldn't it wrap the whole wheel?
It may be that the core and/or hoop of the aftermarket steering wheels are provided by the same supplier of Toyota and “built” from there. Interestingly, the website for the carbon fiber wheels linked to above suggests that heating is an option.

Likely limited amp supply and wire size.

Just finished this upgrade. Absolutely awesome and worth the money.

70875852329__AE6EA1C4-A3C7-4037-8B11-9C61CD679AAB.jpeg

Any updates on the 45100-60A91-C0 wheels? My '19 Black Leather/'wood like' wheel isn't doing great - it still seems to have the same 'painted leather' as the earlier wheels and mine is starting to get a bit flakey. (3/19 production date)

I've gotten a quote from a fairly well-regarded shop that has done a number of wheels, and the quote was ~$450(+shipping). They wouldn't be replacing the leather; they would be covering it, which at that price point makes me wonder if the OEM option would be a better fit for me.

The OEM replacement wheel is holding up nicely so far and wearing in as expected. The leather feels identical to the 2021 heritage edition I had before my 2016. The jury is still out on how the newer wheels are holding up, but I haven’t seen any posts or complaints so far on the 2020 and 2021 model years.

I’m surprised your 2019 is having flaking issues, as I thought they remedied that after the 2016-2017 model year?

For the extra $300, I would buy OEM. Just wait until Toyota is having their 20% off parts deal and buy it then. Leather covers make the steering wheel thicker and I am not a fan of that, and you will always feel that unnatural transition point from the wood to leather being underneath with a leather cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom