Steering box replacement - documented (1 Viewer)

Thanks for the offer! I ordered one at my local dealership. Don't have much time to waste on the project and I'm hoping to do it later this week. I'm going to try to remove mine reuse it, then return the new one if I'm successful. If I spend more than an hour or two banging on my old one, I'll just cut my losses and install the new one on the new box.

Tedward

95 LC
SILVER Star
Just finished new steer gear box install. New steer shaft, pitman, and lower u joint too. Only hard part getting the relay rod end from the pitman arm. Used a tie rod/pitman arm puller from autozone. The smaller size one is just small enough at 2 3/8" opening. I left the pitman on the old box so I dont know the true joy of that job. Oh well.
No crows foot needed for the lines. Wrench fits through the wheel well.
No play in the steering, drives straight and no leaks.

20200618_094408.jpg

Last edited:

Dissent

GOLD Star
Great write-up, looking to install my new Redhead box next week. Definitely watch those hoses ending up in the wrong hole. I spent 4 hours trying to get the big one to fit the small hole after accidentally swapping their location during the new hose install. Doh!

I read somewhere on the forum that removing the pitman arm is easier if you put tension on it with a puller (I'm using this one heavily recommended on Mud: Amazon product) then smacking the arm where it mates to the gearbox a few times with a 3lb sledge then proceeding to finishing the pulling process. Reports are it pops off with little effort ordrama this way. I suppose it's like smacking the cone nuts on the hubs to dislodge the fit. Going to try it regardless. Installing my new HD Marlin drag links and TRE's too. Should be fun!

Dissent

GOLD Star
Great write-up, looking to install my new Redhead box next week. Definitely watch those hoses ending up in the wrong hole. I spent 4 hours trying to get the big one to fit the small hole after accidentally swapping their location during the new hose install. Doh!

I read somewhere on the forum that removing the pitman arm is easier if you install and tighten the puller (I'm using this one heavily recommended on Mud: Amazon product) then smack the center bolt on the puller. Usually a couple good smacks with a 2# hammer then tighten 1/4 turn and repeat. It should pop off on the 2nd attempt. Do NOT HIT THE PITMAN ARM. You can bend the sector shaft or screw up the seals. Also, don't use heat, that can fry the seals (not sure that matters on an old box but...)

Installing my new HD Marlin drag links and TRE's too. Should be fun!

BayouFJ80

SILVER Star
Thank you @amagnono . This made life so much easier. It was time to replace rubber cover in wheel wheel do those came off. Changed oil , so filter was removed during the steering box rebuild and upgrade via redhead steering in Washington. I also removed the battery box and had all kinds of room and highly recommend. Even washed the battery box while I waited on steering box to come back. Having it out the way made replacing the steering pump easy as well as firewall seal. The new steering is absolutely unbelievable. Hope this info helps someone as a way of thanking y’all who post to help us all .

A3826F0C-A5B4-4112-881A-8B33AF792B5C.jpeg

E621BFFE-8F41-4B9E-AD69-AD67130AE3E0.jpeg

22B81154-1538-4A50-AED5-4A053224EA1E.jpeg

7C4CC244-229E-430A-BF58-444FF01FBFAF.jpeg

AB454C11-19BC-4928-94DD-92EDDA46A8DB.jpeg

Curious to know, why do you suggest ATF rather than power steering fluid? I didn't see any comments on that and I'm in the process of doing this job currently. I don't want to end up adding the wrong fluid. TIA!

Thank you @amagnono . This made life so much easier. It was time to replace rubber cover in wheel wheel do those came off. Changed oil , so filter was removed during the steering box rebuild and upgrade via redhead steering in Washington. I also removed the battery box and had all kinds of room and highly recommend. Even washed the battery box while I waited on steering box to come back. Having it out the way made replacing the steering pump easy as well as firewall seal. The new steering is absolutely unbelievable. Hope this info helps someone as a way of thanking y’all who post to help us all .

View attachment 2418470

View attachment 2418471

View attachment 2418472

View attachment 2418473

View attachment 2418474

No issues with pre-load...was it a night and day difference?

I just received a redhead box with the upgraded sector shaft. Hoping all goes well on the first try.

I wanted to chime in on this thread as I just completed the replacement on my steering box as well. This thread was helpful, and I sourced my box from RedHead Steering. I replaced the high and low pressure lines while I was at it, as well as the power steering pump. The truck truly drives night and day difference. I'm very happy that I did this. I also didn't need the crows feet for the lines, as wrenches fit through the wheel well just fine. Thanks for all the help this forum provides, it is truly an asset!

-Andy

BayouFJ80

SILVER Star
No issues with pre-load...was it a night and day difference?

I just received a redhead box with the upgraded sector shaft. Hoping all goes well on the first try.
Absolutely!!! It was easy to do in my driveway. Removing battery/box made a HUGE difference in access. I took off the rubber flaps in wheel well too. Zero play in steering is a joy:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom