Steel half doors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianna

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi guys, I’m done thinking that I may get around to cutting down my doors into half doors and saw these on EBay. I searched but don’t see anything about them. Does anyone have any experience with these? The pic of the interior looks like fiberglass, but the description says steel doors. They look similar to the ones Ehsan was selling a while back. I can get 10% back in “EBay bucks” and ready to pull the trigger. TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LANDCRUISER STEEL HALF DOORS PAIR FJ40 fj40 Fj40 Fj45 FJ45 TOYOTA LAND CRUISER LANDCRUISER STEEL HALF DOORS PAIR FJ40 fj40 Fj40 Fj45 FJ45 | eBay

I exchanged a few emails with the relik garage (who I believe makes them) a while back. They sounded promising but I never got around to pulling the trigger. If you do please let me know!

I would not cut down factory doors - they are too hard to find these days. Those pre-made ones look nice.

At $800+ makes it hard not to cut down factory doors. I have a right and left door with window channel damage. Both rust free and $15 invested in both. While I like the top line of the half doors thinking of just cutting them off at the exposed window channel. Like the height as a arm rest. Then use cut off hard sides to equal the height. Would be a different look. Similar to what the Australian army did with troopy.

Looking at the pictures not sure if the whole door is steel and not just the outside skin. Does not say in the discription they are 100% steel and only picture of raw steel is the exterior skin. Would confirm how they are made. Two pieces of steel welded together are going to be stronger than a flat piece of steel with a fiberglass piece bonded to it.

Of course, doors trashed from a rollover would be perfect for cutting down - just not clean/straight ones.

I made these out of 1/4 plate then used 1/4 rod on the inside to match the circle radius then skinned the inside in 18 gauge, welded the top shut with 1/4 strap. Add the cheapest hardware I could fine and I had steel half doors

Rust free, straight, nice lines around the top edge, ready for paint... and you get two. Sounds like a screaming deal if you add up the cost associated with restoring a cut down pair to get them to that point.

I’m curious as well.. half doors are next on my list. I’d buy the aqualu doors (love the idea of aluminum) but the styling on the stock doors looks so much better. These do look like a good deal to me as well.. hmm 🤔

Rust free, straight, nice lines around the top edge, ready for paint... and you get two. Sounds like a screaming deal if you add up the cost associated with restoring a cut down pair to get them to that point.

I’m curious as well.. half doors are next on my list. I’d buy the aqualu doors (love the idea of aluminum) but the styling on the stock doors looks so much better. These do look like a good deal to me as well.. hmm 🤔

The hobby certainly has changed over the years. Use to paying no more than $100 for a rust free late model door, with a pair for $25 apiece once. Haven't looked at these doors in over eleven years. The mustard one in front is the $15 door. Hard to justify over $400 for a single half door when I never paid close to that for a complete door.

rollbar0002 (1).JPG

The hobby certainly has changed over the years. Use to paying no more than $100 for a rust free late model door, with a pair for $25 apiece once. Haven't looked at these doors in over eleven years. The mustard one in front is the $15 door. Hard to justify over $400 for a single half door when I never paid close to that for a complete door.

Are you selling or collecting ;)

Are you selling or collecting ;)

That is a good question. Would say neither except I bought another set last year. Still working on getting them here from half way around the world. Will be hard to tell the shipping cost since coming with a number of other parts. Not saying what they cost just that I wish you could find them local for this price. Right door does need some rust repair. Probably bite the bullet and buy a lower door patch verses cutting up the $15 door.

I am trying to sell off a bunch of early sixties cruisers and parts.

View attachment 1939895

I hear you man, I have been hoarding parts for nearly 20 years myself... and while I have late model hard doors in my stash, the young guns (and those new to this addiction) are hard pressed to source a new set of doors, get them cut and trimmed, welded back up, straightened and painted for anywhere close to the $800 mark.

I've got my set for $100. Deals are still out there, but it's tough to be at the right place at the right time when you're actively shopping/building.

Now if you want to talk about that pile of fenders... hehe

View attachment 1939895
X100

I’m still too broke for this hobby. If my truck wasn’t 95% built there’s no way I could afford to build it.

There are deals out there still... my 70k mile SBC was $300. My current ‘81 hardtop was $200. SS muffler was $80.

I paid 600 for my used half doors and would do it again in a minute. Love my steel half doors.
where did you get them?

I went to tube doors - local dude fabricated them for me, using factory hinges

I don't quite see the advantage of half doors: it gets just as dusty inside, and there is no safety over tube doors, either

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom