State Inspection Rant. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am trying to get my new truck legal in the state of VT. I was told before the mechanic even looked at that it won't pass as the two rear fender are not on the vehicle. The tires stick out past the body! To make matters worse if he does the inspection the state will have digital pics that follow the vehicle until it's fixed:(. I asked if card board fenders would work and he said no. I don't have cash to buy some skinnys to put on nor do I want to pay to mount and unmount two sets of tires. Wife says she won't ride in the truck with pout the damn sticker. Nothing else wrong with truck. I might just sell the damn thing as its turning into some thing that always will end in an argument, or a ton of money spent. Anyways you can open carry a pistol here with no permit, and can put a suppressor on any gun you own, but can't have 315's on a declared rig.

Any ideas?

Im in Ma. and Im dreading the same prob look for others in vermont that have found a rig friendly inspector.

So I am trying to get my new truck legal in the state of VT. I was told before the mechanic even looked at that it won't pass as the two rear fender are not on the vehicle. :(

Any ideas?

Don't tread on me!!

Seriously consider going to another shop.

I got a fix it ticket dismissed on my wife's rig by using some thick bendable rod and black gorilla tape to make fender flares.

I used to live in Middlebury and had a state inspection license and I can tell you that the state came down HARD on the inspectors back around '03-'05 because guys were signing off their own vehicles or giving their dip**** woodchuck friends clapped out rig a pass. If I recall, the state went so far as sending bait cars in to shops to see who'd pass it. Fines were something like $10k for the shop and loss of inspection cert, and $2500 for the tech and loss of inspection license. s*** got real and they shut a few smaller shops down because of gross negligence and/or inability or unwillingness to pay the fines.

Since then, shops have been very skittish to pass anything even remotely questionable. It's been 13 years since I read VT regs, but I do seem to think there was something in there about how the tire can stick out up to a small distance- like an inch or something- but maybe I'm confusing that with laws we have here in Utah. Either way, get your hands on the inspection criteria and read it closely.

In the mean time, go get some of that black plastic garden trim and screw it to the fender liner so that it sticks out over the tires. Looks like s*** and lasts slightly longer than your card board idea, but it looks far more legit and will probably pass.

Could you pick up some rims off an FJ Cruiser or 4Runner? They sit farther in.

Uhmm why did you remove the stock fender flares, find some put them on

Post in the clubhouse section for your area. See if anyone has any small wheels and tires they could loan you for the inspection, many people have an old set of rims with small tires sitting in their garage from before they started going crazy. Lol

I think it really depends on the inspector. I just got my 80 inspected in NH, with 315s and no flares. It passed without any complaints. Try finding another inspector. If that doesn't work, find a friend (or a craigslist deal) with skinnier tire setup and pass on those then swap your old ones back on.

I agree with you, @Mattyboy. I just moved to New England from Colorado. These state inspections are stupid and we didn't have anything like them out west.

I think it really depends on the inspector. I just got my 80 inspected in NH, with 315s and no flares. It passed without any complaints. Try finding another inspector. If that doesn't work, find a friend (or a craigslist deal) with skinnier tire setup and pass on those then swap your old ones back on.

I agree with you, @Mattyboy. I just moved to New England from Colorado. These state inspections are stupid and we didn't have anything like them out west.

Say what you will about WI, but other than in the Milwaukee area, we don't have these inspections. That said, I do see a fair number of rigs that even I question the safety of. I am surprised they are so picky about the tires and fender flares though. I would think things like decent brakes and functioning lights and turn signals would be more concerning.

You can buy used fender flares for cheap.

I found out today that my truck has 1.5 inch spacers on all 4 corners!!!! I will need to do some searching but I am pretty sure there are plenty on here running 315's without spacers. I think they make me loook like a redneck. If they are not needed for a full lock rubbing situation then I think that will get me past the inspection. And for the record I found out that the state cracked down and there is no getting a sticker unless i find some one to look the other way. also changed the valve cover gasket and then got a PO305. Not sure if its the old wires that I resused, or a wiring issue. I will look at the harness when it cools down.

Look into FlexyFlares. You can screw them on, then take them back off. They are made of rubber and can be rubbed on things if needed. They will at least cover the outside edge of the wheel and look pretty cheap to do.

Flexy Flares Rubber Fender Extensions 2.5" wide and 4.25" Wide (by the foot)

You are just a wealth of information. I have dreamt about something as easy to install as the flexi-flare system and now here it is.

I kinda want to protect my flares because new ones are more expensive than they look when you consider the shipping and I don't really want to know what is under mine. I could just smooth these on over the stock flares and get an extra, extra level of protection. What is not to like? :idea:

Pump the brakes.

Take a deep breath.

Step back from the ledge.

Go to the classifieds. Somebody is probably parting out an 80 that you can get the rear flares for cheap. Or check the local junkyards.

Hell, somebody might have some laying around you can get for the cost of shipping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom