Squirt (formally Brownie) gets a new Mom and Dad - Erin's Sami Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Glad i could oblige!! So you're sayin' it's wheelable right now the, don't need no stinkin' brake lights for da trails.:smokin:

As long as it will start, it is wheelable. Clutch will make control better, cage will give me piece of mind, axle rebuild cause the front bearings are shot, diverter valve to keep from overheating, but none of that is preventing it from moving along. Basically if it will start then it will go. Lights are just a courtesy :steer: A trailer is the biggest limiting factor currently, but I am working on that as well. ;)

Trailer purchase pending...

All right, looks like we are in business. Picked this up yesterday.
20140731_191044.jpg

18' flat, needs a little TLC, but got it for a good price. Hoping to have brakes and lights wired in time to pull the Squirt to OTMT in a few weeks... we shall see.

Also, since we never posted any true wheeling pics last year, here are a couple from 16 at GMP.

Sami on 16.jpg

Sami on 16_2.jpg

That little effer was fun to play with, kinda glad somebody poked the bear on this one. Since most of the hard work is done, now we can mostly just enjoy wheeling it.

Love it!! You still rockin open diffs in that thing? Would be awesome to have a Sami in the barn

Like Steve (and i) have argued before learning on O/O is invaluable. However... not to throw more on your plate but a rear locker would make a huuuuuge difference.

Yeah, I know a rear locker has crossed my mind a few times. I got a spare diff laying in the garage that I even thought about putting a little Miller time in on, but if I have to pull everything apart I may as well just throw a lunchbox in it and be done til it gets a set of toy axles thrown under it.

Biggest thing I would worry about is with a locker and a cage I fear that having the one might end up testing the other... of course there is only so much trouble you can get into running 30" tires :smokin:

@BMThiker , that was good times. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks.

Last edited:
All right, looks like we are in business. Picked this up yesterday.
View attachment 924310

18' flat, needs a little TLC, but got it for a good price. Hoping to have brakes and lights wired in time to pull the Squirt to OTMT in a few weeks... we shall see.

View attachment 924312

:clap: Nice on the trailer.

That pic isn't wheeling btw. Some serious strategy going on in that pic. See the smoke coming out of my ears?? :idea:

Yeah, I know a rear locker has crossed my mind a few times. I got a spare diff laying in the garage that I even thought about putting a little Miller time in on, but if I have to pull everything apart I may as well just throw a lunchbox in it and be done til it gets a set of toy axles thrown under it.

Biggest thing I would worry about is with a locker and a cage I fear that having the one might end up testing the other... of course there is only so much trouble you can get into running 30" tires :smokin:

@BMThiker , that was good times. Looking forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks.

Welding the rear would make a VERY noticeable difference. I wouldn't spend the money on a lunch box locker if you're going to end up going with Toyota axles. Since the truck is never driven on the road the welded rear would have no downside.

Guess I will see how that carrier comes apart tomorrow. :D

Guess I will see how that carrier comes apart tomorrow. :D

I don't have a pic but Brian welded mine so that the gears were welded together everywhere they touched on both sides. He also welded in a couple pieces of rebar so that if one of the welds broke it still wouldn't be able to turn.

Lol, thanks Rick.

Looks like the sami has one of those enclosed carriers like the v6 Toyotas, so to get it apart to weld up you have to remove the end of the carrier and then possibly remove the ring gear to get the cross-shafts out to access the bottom side gear.... man that's alot of work to do in not alot of time, plus I'd probably want to throw it all in the oven for a while to get them good and hot to get good penetration. Gonna have to study on this a little more.

Last edited:
:lol::lol: Wait, that's not where I weld......:doh:

Went out back tonight, checked the battery, turned on the propane and the little heifer fired right up and sounded strong, well as strong as a 1.3L can sound :grinpimp: Great thing about propane is it doesn't go bad and gum up the carb over the winter. Let it idle for a few minutes and shut it off. Soo looks like I need to get that clutch kit ordered :smokin:
20140805_191907.jpg

Anybody tell me how to embed a video?

Just copy/paste the "share" link from youtube, vimeo or FB. The new forum software automagically embeds it. Like this but without the spaces:
http: // youtu . be / 505GLrQVVRw

@BMThiker thanks Rick. I was hoping our resident AV techno guru would help a brother out. :beer:

I will try it out tonight. Now I just need to have Erin show me how to work the youtube. :hillbilly:

Too late when I got home to get a vid of it running, but I did get a clutch ordered and a new spacer for the front driveshaft. Gonna have to pull the shifter out and do a little welding and grinding on it and install the shifter bolt so it will go into gear AND more importantly come back out of gear without having to disassemble the shifter base. :doh:

Anybody got any advice on Antique tags? It is only used for club activities and is 25 years old, by the TN code annotated, it meets the criteria.

I have one on my 40. I think it was 40$ in my county and it doesn't have to be renewed so was a no brainer for me.

Sent by a dumb ass with a smart phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom