Squirt (formally Brownie) gets a new Mom and Dad - Erin's Sami Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I can help make more room in that barn if you'll let me take that mini truck off your hands.

Sorry bud, that one is going to stay in the family, but I will keep an eye out for you one. :)

Well, I tooled around a little more in the Squirt today while we were out at the farm and tonight I ordered a Sky rear upper shock mount, a pair of Ford towers for up front and 4 axle mounts from Low Range. Going to see about getting all that mounted up and then measure for shocks for all 4 corners. Been running with none since the day we got her so it will surely improve how she rides and stop some of the clanking from old parts still sort of attached underneath. I will have to get some wiring squared away in the shop once it's cleaned out, but I may set me up an outlet for the welder in the garage in the house to allow me to get a little work done until I get shop wired up.

A have a new spacer for the front D-shaft that I need to swap in and I also have a front end rebuild kit that needs to go in. So I seem to be lining up one of the first projects for when we get settled in and I can start officially tinkering again. Of course I think it will be behind installing the new ICON setup on the 4runner. I noticed that I think the front DS CO is leaking when I was doing my brakes this afternoon.

Wow, been over a year since this thread has seen any action. Sadly been bout the same for the Squirt. I pulled it out of the shed last week and the propane bottle is empty. The bottles we have are out of inspection and I am kind of tired of trying to keep up with propane, plus for misc farm duties that big ass bottle in the back is a problem. So I am looking at converting it back to a gas burner. Looking hard at a weber 32/36 redline carb kit and a RCI 10 gallon cell.

Random ramblings rolling around in my brain also include swapping this set of 40 axles that I have laying in the yard underneath it in some fashion.

I've got a few year old 32/36 I pulled off my 22r that is just sitting collecting dust. You'd have to source the adapter plate as I needed that for the propane swap, but you could have the rest of the carb for free.

It'd be cheap to ship if you're interested.

I've got a few year old 32/36 I pulled off my 22r that is just sitting collecting dust. You'd have to source the adapter plate as I needed that for the propane swap, but you could have the rest of the carb for free.

It'd be cheap to ship if you're interested.

I will PM you, but I'm definitely your huckleberry on that deal. Is it a manual choke or electric. I need a 2 piece adapter to bolt it to the sami intake anyway so that isn't a problem.

Couldn't figure out how to pm these but here are pics of the carb to make sure you think it'll work.

IMG_1913.JPG

IMG_1914.JPG

IMG_1915.JPG

@tgreco looks like most of the ones ive seen on the net. I guess a 32/36 is a 32/36. Drop it in the mail and I will see if I can get the needed adapter for the intake and linkage sorted out. I will keep an eye out for any GA fellas getting close and see if I cant get these cylinders headed your way.

Out of curiosity, and I think I caught this in your build thread, but the carb works fine, just not the best for the bouncing and angles of off-roaring, that sound about right. If so, then it should suit our needs perfectly.

Thanks again

Last edited:
@tgreco looks like most of the ones ive seen on the net. I guess a 32/36 is a 32/36. Drop it in the mail and I will see if I can get the needed adapter for the intake and linkage sorted out. I will keep an eye out for any GA fellas getting close and see if I cant get these cylinders headed your way.

Out of curiosity, and I think I caught this in your build thread, but the carb works fine, just not the best for the bouncing and angles of off-roaring, that sound about right. If so, then it should suit our needs perfectly.

Thanks again

I don't know much about these carbs but that is my understanding. I think the only question mark would be the throttle linkage, but that may be able to be fabricated off the Sami's carb.

The carb was fine during normal driving and wheeling, it only sucked when going up steep hills (side to side angles were fine) and/or bouncing.

I don't know much about these carbs but that is my understanding. I think the only question mark would be the throttle linkage, but that may be able to be fabricated off the Sami's carb.

The carb was fine during normal driving and wheeling, it only sucked when going up steep hills (side to side angles were fine) and/or bouncing.

I can get a linkage kit specific to the sami, so that won't be a big deal. Also, did you say it had an air filter or no? looking to get the adapter plates and linkage kit ordered and was going to get a filter if needed. The sami was on the bottle from the day we picked it up, so most of the misc. stuff that the average guy doing a carb swap would have, I do not, so I am piecing it together as I go. Heck, I am not even sure if the the fuel pump is even still on the thing.

I can get a linkage kit specific to the sami, so that won't be a big deal. Also, did you say it had an air filter or no? looking to get the adapter plates and linkage kit ordered and was going to get a filter if needed. The sami was on the bottle from the day we picked it up, so most of the misc. stuff that the average guy doing a carb swap would have, I do not, so I am piecing it together as I go. Heck, I am not even sure if the the fuel pump is even still on the thing.

I'm sending 2 filters: 1 used and 1 new. The only thing other thing that you might want to look at would be a idle cut solenoid, but you might wait to get the carb and see what wiring you have left. I never ran one, but I think it may have been easier to dial in the idle with the solenoid. It has an empty port that I simply plugged with a bolt.

That carb is going to complement this RCI cell perfectly.

$(KGrHqUOKjUE3qCqdS)fBODS0O,-kQ--_1.JPG

Just need some fuel line and a carb adapter and we gonna be off the bottle and back on the juice.

Carb arrived yesterday, thanks again @tgreco and my fuel cell is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I am thinking that I will clean me out a spot in the barn this afternoon or tomorrow and start ripping out the propane junk. I started making a cardboard template to test for placement of the fuel cell. I got the intake adapter and linkage kit ordered this morning so probably have that stuff next week.

If I get it in the barn, I will probably go ahead and tear down the front knuckles and replace the bearings, seals and sweeps.

Might have it back up and running in a couple weeks if all goes well.

I forgot I had these puppies

0915161057_HDR.jpg

Set of CityRacer LED headlights that I got for the 40 project. Well they arent going to be lighting the way for the 40 for many many moons unless something major happens, so they will be donating their services to samurai duty for the foreseeable future.

So the weekend plan is:

• strip all the propane components and see how much of the old Carb vacuum system which the PO just pushed out of the way can actually go away.
  • Install and figure out the wiring for these fancy new LED headlights.
  • Clean the old mud and crud from underneath and assess the fuel line routing and tank location
  • dig out my shock mounts and see if we can get a gameplan on how that will go. I have to straighten my rear upper mount since I warped it when we were pressing out @Bama4door 's t-case bearings. I got to get some proper tools if I am going to keep up this mess.
I am going to enlist the assistance of my young apprentice for demo as I think she will enjoy taking it apart with me. And hopefully will get her interested in wrenching with her pops a little more.

Also on the short list will be knuckle rebuild a tune-up. I got rotor, cap, plugs, wires, etc. ordered from Rockauto this morning.

I need to dig the title out and see if I can take it in and apply for an antique tag and get it registered so @Mrsjynx can tool around in it.

Last edited:
Well I finally got a minute to work on squirt. We spent the better half of the day clearing/ cleaning out a spot in the barn for future work to commence, but ran into a small problem, well as small as a complete 3FE/A440f combo is. I need to find a place to relocate it to or a new home for it, or strip it down for spare parts. Regardless, it was more than the little green tractor wanted so it is still blocking up the back. Left my hoist down in Mississippi when we got the pile because there was no place for it to ride home on the trailer.... So that kind of ended the barn session. We broke for lunch, and took the little :princess: to get some fire works for later tonight and when we got back I commenced the teardown.

We started here:
0704171416_HDR.jpg

And I left it here
0704171604_HDR.jpg

Biggest issue is the PO just jammed the propane setup in there and left a bunch of the wiring, solenoids and vacuum lines in there too, so I am going to have to see if I can find some vacuum and wiring diagrams for a sami so I can see what I can 86. From a lot of the pictures I have found online, I believe I can junk a large portion of this madness, but want to make sure before I go to yanking.

Erin was busy cleaning the tank mount and other misc junk out of the bed. This is the pile of stuff that was removed.

0704171615.jpg

Once we had most of that stuff in a good state of limbo we went ahead and dug out the LED headlights and got those installed. They sure do change the looks of the front end on her.

0704171639.jpg

And lastly we monkey'd with the fuel cell placement. I was sure hoping I could mount it underneath, but even though it is relatively compact, when you are working in small scale already, real estate is at a premium so after a lot of crawling around I think I've settled on something like this.

0704171827_HDR.jpg

I will trim a hole for the sump and set it thru the floor and then build a little cover around it to protect it from getting dinged up when the bed is in use. It takes up about a quarter of the available floor space, but isn't too bad. It also makes access to the filler fairly easy and puts the vent and return line closest to the outside.

All total not a bad day. I was hoping for a little more progress, but when your cleaning up someone else's mess, it takes a little head scratching to get it all sorted out.

I have also added new heater hoses to the list of things to pick up as there are T's cut into them for the solenoid feed.

It will take a little sorting, but I think we're headed in the right direction. Stay tuned

Last edited:
And a parting shot

0704171726.jpg

Well, placed an order to Low Range this afternoon for a few misc things, the main items being a replacement heayet control valve, EGR block off plate and a headlight harness.

Couldn't seem to get them fancy ass headlights to work and after some research I found out that the sami is very similar to the Toyotas and switches the ground to power alternate from low to high beams and these new fangled lights dont like that at all, so the new harness will fix me up.

Got the rest of my tune-up parts and adapters today and I downloaded a wiring diagram and some vacuum drawings so going to see what kind of mess I can make tomorrow.

I think I'm gonna tinker a little on Squirt in the next few weeks. Little thing has had lots of plans made the last couple years with no real results. I started studying on it the other day and other than getting the carb and fuel system sorted out, I am cooking the idea of putting the pair of axles out of the pile under it. I will have to SOA them, but the perch widths are less than an inch different out to out on both axles. Gonna start with the rear. Figure I will do a rear disc swap and then order an SOA kit from ruff stuff. Wish I had thought about all this a week ago when everyone was having their 4th sales. Oh well.

Here's to maybe actually getting something going this time :beer::beer:

Just reading back through on the carb stuff. If you haven't gotten too far already, I have a suggestion.

I had this carb on my 22R a long time ago and had it mounted 180 of how it normally sits. What this did is made it where the "bad angle", the angle it doesn't like to run good, is DOWN hill vice up hill. As much as having your engine die while on a hill sucks, having it die while going downhill was much nicer since I could leave it in gear and still somewhat "drive" down the steep part and, if all worked out well, the engine would fire back up on it's own once leveled out enough. Obviously going uphill none of that is helpful.

Hmmm, I will have to look at that when I start test fitting things.

Thanks Steve.

I think the only thing that takes any real work is extending / rerouting the throttle cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom