Squirt (formally Brownie) gets a new Mom and Dad - Erin's Sami Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jynx

Turd Herder
SILVER Star
Threads
I hope it is ok that I start this over here. All the hard parts look alot like Toyota, only smaller. Actually rumor has it that alot of the parts were made in the same AISIN factory in Japan. And Erin named it, so any heckling for that will need to be directed in her direction. ;)

Any way, just getting it home turned out to be a bit of an adventure. We met the guy in Dunlap to test drive it. Specs were as follows:

1988 Suzuki Samurai
Spring over
Propane conversion
30x11.5-15 Super Swamper TSL SX on painted steel wheels
Sloppy shifter
"custom" bumpers
Viair OBA system

other than that pretty much stock.

It had some front end shimmy, but it didn't have a stabilizer, plus the SX's are Bias not radial, so not a big deal. Overall, it fit the bill and Erin liked it, so we did the dance and I paid the man.

So we started back over the plateau to McMinnville for the ride home. At speed the shimmy went away and so we were off. It topped out at 50 but overall it was a nice ride. We had a stop lined up in McMinnville in case we needed to park it, but all was well so we rolled on thru. Stopped in Woodbury for a drink and to get a plan on how to get thru Murfreesboro and then we we were back on the road. So I noticed that the rear had started whining, but since I had already planned to go thru everything when I got home I wasn't terribly worried. Wrong!!

So we roll up to a red light in the Boro and as I am pulling away I hear a POP!! and then a grind and then the rear started hanging up... it pretty much locked up right past the intersection. I was able to drag/ chirp/ crack/ bang it into the Walgreens parking lot on the corner. Erin took her mom and Hannah home and came back with my tools. So I got to start :wrench::wrench: before I even got it home..:bang::bang:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/Brownieinthelot_zps93a04385.jpeg

So, I pulled the shaft and it would roll backwards but would lock up going forward, so we called a roll back to get it on to the house.

So we got it home and after lunch I started digging in, but first here are a few shots of it.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/SAM_1230_zpsc6666aed.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/SAM_1229_zps19bdfc52.jpg

Propane Regulator and Carb

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/SAM_1232_zps55cad349.jpg

Dual Tanks

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/SAM_1233_zpsb6797b36.jpg

Interior is nothing special.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k8/mrtucker80/SAM_1236_zps6907f0a0.jpg

So that is how it sat this morning before I got started.

So while Erin and her mom went out, I got out the tools and the fun began.

Stay tuned....

On to the Carnage

So with my mind officially in work mode I started really crawling around under the rig and immediately saw the first thing to go on my shopping list.

Not sure how I missed this crazy wrapped spring, but I thought the hose clamps were a nice touch.

Next I took a look at the rear shaft I removed last night and I am not sure if the damage is from last night, but I suspect it has been some time in the making, so second thing is new axle end of the drive shaft.

So then I jacked up the drivers side to start the business. I did get a little ray of sunshine in that I finally got to use this big a$$ slide hammer that I found several years ago while we were moving our office. I almost tossed it a couple times, but it made short work of pulling the axle shafts.

DS out, not a good sign.

Note the nice coating of "swamp lube" all over the axle. Definitely been water in there for some time.

I pulled the drain plug to start draining the chunk and I it started globbing out... I stuck my finger up in there and could feel metal in the bottom and knew this was going to be a spectacular failure.

Both axles out getting ready for the revell.

Well there's your problem. Who put this in there.

What you are seeing is what the inner pinion bearing looks like after the ring and pinon have chewed on it for a little while.

The inner pinion bearing has completely disintegrated and left the pinion to roll around freely.

It chewed chunks off of about 3/4 of the teeth on the ring gear.

And there was actually pieces of the inner race missing when I got the whole diff torn down.

And this is the sludge that was left in the housing.

The un-staked pinion nut tells me somebody has been messing with this, that and what looked like clear silicone sealant that came off the housing.

Clearly routine maintenance was not a high priority.

Look at how the "sludge" baked out in the sun. Looks like dried mud, which makes me wonder how long it had been in there and how much actual gear oil was left in the mix.

So that is how I spent my afternoon. I also pulled the tanks out and spent some time crawling around underneath it looking at all the stuff that needs to get yanked and trying to figure out how to clean up the wiring mess and generally making a plan of attack.

Last edited:
Looks like a fun rig for you guys.

97 4runner
86 4runner
STLCA
APPALACHIA CRUISERS

The plan

So now the damage is assessed and I am working on the plan.

I looked at doing a Toyota axle swap, but there is a good amount of extra work that would be needed and right now I really just want to get it moving so Erin can get some seat time.

SOoo, here is the current plan:

• New rear diff (Erin actually landed a pair, front and rear, on Ebay tonight for a pretty good price) I figure based on what the front looked like, having a spare front can't be all bad, plus at $100 for the pair it was hard to pass up.
  • New rear springs and bushings at the very least, probably new springs all around.
  • Sloppy shifter fix
  • rebuild rear brakes (the DS rear line was actually cut and non-functioning.)
  • rebuild front axle (bearings, seals, knuckle service, etc.)
  • Clean up wiring for compressor and regulator (I am not sure, but I fairly certain that wire-nuts are not an approved connection method)
  • Check all the propane lines for leaks.
  • Change all the fluids
  • Fix the turn signals and flashers.
  • talk to my shop about some exhaust work (I have never seen an entire exhaust made out of what looks like metal flex conduit.)
  • remove all the effin "Bone Collector" stickers
And just for Nick, I think another 20" lightbar is going to be in my future.

Stay tuned..

Last edited:
Looks like a fun rig for you guys.

97 4runner
86 4runner
STLCA
APPALACHIA CRUISERS

Thanks, it is definitely going to be an adventure. I plan to get Erin in on the work as often as I can so she can learn about "her" rig.

She is excited and sick at the same time, I just told her she needs to step up her Craigslist sales and to not make plans for her first few paychecks...

:cheers:

Subscribed :). Looks like a cool project. Congrats Erin!! Now she is gonna have to become a mud member.

Subscribed as well. I bought my truck off craigslist non-running with a massive rust hole in the driver's floor-board and LOTS of wire nuts. :doh: All it takes is some time and elbow grease (and a little $$ of course). I'm very excited about her getting her own truck and I'm sure you she's gonna love it once you get it going. Liz has even started talking about getting a truck one day...

And even though Brownie is a terrible name (Erin), it's not nearly as bad as what Liz wants to call her's. In fact, it's so bad I won't even put it in print. :rolleyes:

Sent from another Galaxy

I like it! I saw a Sami on 33" TSL's at Tellico once and it would go anywhere! (locked F/R though)

I would certainly suggest a rear locker, but if you want her to get the true wheeling experience, let her (and you) wheel it open/open for a while to understand the essentials of wheel placement, and momentum. IMO, anyone starting out should learn how to wheel this way first. It'll make you a much more observant and careful wheeler.

Not sure about everyone else, but I know Ted and I both started this way - I know I'm glad I did.

I like it! I saw a Sami on 33" TSL's at Tellico once and it would go anywhere! (locked F/R though)

I would certainly suggest a rear locker, but if you want her to get the true wheeling experience, let her (and you) wheel it open/open for a while to understand the essentials of wheel placement, and momentum. IMO, anyone starting out should learn how to wheel this way first. It'll make you a much more observant and careful wheeler.

Not sure about everyone else, but I know Ted and I both started this way - I know I'm glad I did.

Agreed. Wheeling my truck with the single case, 4 spd, 33s, and carbed 20R makes me appreciate everything I have now. Although, I did have lockers already which made a huge difference.

Sent from another Galaxy

Agreed. Wheeling my truck with the single case, 4 spd, 33s, and carbed 20R makes me appreciate everything I have now. Although, I did have lockers already which made a huge difference.
Even though I did suggest a rear locker for the near future - mostly just because the diff is already out anyway though - I think the presence of lockers is the #1 thing NOT to have when starting out. Lockers negate the need for tire-to-ground contact and therefore having to learn proper tire placement and/or utilizing forward momentum to make progress. IMHO, lockers usually do newB's more harm than good. Can make for a lot of hairy situations when the truck gets pointed somewhere it shouldn't - and it gets there. :whoops:

Sent from another Galaxy

I wheeled my 86 all stock for a long time, cheap mud terrains was my only upgrade. So I agree as well when you start out like that it helps you understand the upgrades you make later.

97 4runner
86 4runner
STLCA
APPALACHIA CRUISERS

if you want her to get the true wheeling experience, let her (and you) wheel it open/open for a while to understand the essentials of wheel placement, and momentum. IMO, anyone starting out should learn how to wheel this way first. It'll make you a much more observant and careful wheeler.

That diff looks perty good:bang:

Absolutely agree!!! I consider myself only an adequate driver but learned tons from wheeling open/open in Tellico. Like Steve says you learn the art of "the bump", tire placement, momentum and plotting your course 3 steps ahead and not just whats directly in front of you. Lockers make a huge difference but experience does as well.

FWIW LED lights don't get you up rocks so unbolt that sucker and sell it to me cheap :flipoff2:

Either way, knock out that to do list and let's get wheeling!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. And yes, the plan is for it to stay open/open for now. I want her to get a good feel for the rig and have a good fundamental feel for everything and let the rig grow as her skills improve. I still consider myself a novice, especially in current company, I only have a few years and less than a dozen real trips under my belt.

The diffs will probably be delivered end of this week/ first of next and I am going to get the springs and axle kits ordered today, so hopefully in a couple weeks it will be up and running again.

I also need to take the two 40# tanks and have them checked. I unhooked both and sat them in the garage for a couple hours while I was typing last night and when I went out, there was a faint propane smell in the garage so I think one of them may have a small leak somewhere. I got right down on top of them and can't hear or smell anything, but if left alone for a few, you still get a faint odor.

And Ted, that light bar isn't even hers...(well technically everything is hers :meh: but) that is the one for my 4Runner Bumper, if I ever get that b*****d mounted.

Ideally I hope to have it together for the ACC event in November, maybe they will let her drive it with all it's big brothers... Seriously this thing is tiny.

And even though Brownie is a terrible name (Erin), it's not nearly as bad as what Liz wants to call her's. In fact, it's so bad I won't even put it in print. :rolleyes:

This has me very curious!!

From GA board:

Sounds to me like the guy had never gotten the gears broken in fully. Gears don't need a break in period for wheeling, but it is critical to do it right if ever driven on the street. The noise you described sounds to me like the gears destroyed themselves due to overheating. Of course that could also be the same result from having a milkshake as gearlube.

On another note, you shoulda mentioned that it had SX's on it and I woulda told you not to try driving it on the highway at all anyway. Sounds like they did okay, but that's unusual for those on the street. And you probably took about 15% of their tread off on that drive. Jus' sayin, bias ply tires are "streetable", but not exactly "street friendly".

I am pretty sure these were the factory gears, I think the extended heat and milkshake was just too much for the bearing. The guy said that the guy he bought it from used to drive it daily. And yeah, I was surprised at how well the SX's handled on the road. They didn't seem to show too much extra wear from the 70 or so road miles they got on them.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. And yes, the plan is for it to stay open/open for now. I want her to get a good feel for the rig and have a good fundamental feel for everything and let the rig grow as her skills improve.
Awesome; I applaud the decision (probably monetarily related though, I bet) haha
And something else that'll be great: You'll both probably start getting some SERIOUS time learning the art of spotting (probably more varied than even driving styles!)

~ I am going to get the springs and axle kits ordered today, so hopefully in a couple weeks it will be up and running again.
What springs are you getting?

~ Seriously this thing is tiny.
That's exactly what makes it so capable. You're gonna be jealous of the places that it'll go, even with an inexperienced driver, that yours won't.

I am pretty sure these were the factory gears, I think the extended heat and milkshake was just too much for the bearing.
Yeah, I posted that before I saw that picture with all the "floating rollers" - Definitely bearing failure. Good that they're stock gears so you don't have to dish out all that money on gears right away.
Check the new diffs for loose gear contact and adjust them before putting them in (special tools required if you've never done gear work though).

And yeah, I was surprised at how well the SX's handled on the road. They didn't seem to show too much extra wear from the 70 or so road miles they got on them.
This also I said before I realized how small the tires were. Shouldn't be too big of a deal for that small of a tire.

I also need to take the two 40# tanks and have them checked. I unhooked both and sat them in the garage for a couple hours while I was typing last night and when I went out, there was a faint propane smell in the garage so I think one of them may have a small leak somewhere. I got right down on top of them and can't hear or smell anything, but if left alone for a few, you still get a faint odor.

Not that it matters, but those tanks are 30lb. tanks (some people call them 33lb.)

To find your propane leak, make sure the tanks have pressure on them and spray the valves, and anywhere something threads into the tank, with just plain soap/water mixture. BTW if they are leaking don't keep them in your garage. Move them outside.

Not that it matters, but those tanks are 30lb. tanks (some people call them 33lb.)

To find your propane leak, make sure the tanks have pressure on them and spray the valves, and anywhere something threads into the tank, with just plain soap/water mixture. BTW if they are leaking don't keep them in your garage. Move them outside.

Thanks for the heads up, the guy had them listed as 40# on the ad. They hold 9.2 gallons of propane, I watched the girl fill it myself :)

I was hoping that I could just use soapy water, I will do that tonight. One is completely full, the other still has a few pounds in it so it should show up. And yeah, I moved them outside before I went to bed last night, I sure didn't want any bad news when I got up this morning.

Awesome; I applaud the decision (probably monetarily related though, I bet) haha
Yeah it did play into the equation, especially knowing what I am now investing in it, but I actually want her to learn. I have read, seen, heard alot of folks talk about how it is important to learn your limits and develop technique and then improve the vehicle as you improve. I equate it to all the purpose built point and shoot rigs you can buy now that folks think are unstoppable. No driver's skill, just pure brute force and a heavy foot. No thinking involved, kind of takes the sport out of it.

What springs are you getting?
It sits pretty good right now, so I am looking at stock height replacement springs. I looked at some 1.5" lift OME, but I figure the stockers are soo saggy that it will gain some just getting fresh stockers.

That's exactly what makes it so capable. You're gonna be jealous of the places that it'll go, even with an inexperienced driver, that yours won't.
Add a heavy foot to that and I am sure she will entertain all who are within viewing distance.

Yeah, I posted that before I saw that picture with all the "floating rollers" - Definitely bearing failure. Good that they're stock gears so you don't have to dish out all that money on gears right away.
Yeah, that would have been a real bad day. As it is now, we got a pair of diffs off ebay for what the rebuild kit alone would have been for the rear, without new gears.

Check the new diffs for loose gear contact and adjust them before putting them in (special tools required if you've never done gear work though).
Check.;) I have a dial indicator and base and an in-lb wrench. I plan to check all the usual suspects. I have set a couple back up after pulling the carriers and installing solid spacers or lunchbox lockers. I haven't been thru one top to bottom (No press for pinion bearings) but am fairly confident in my ability to do the basics, it isn't rocket science, just takes the tools and some patience... alot of patience. I actually read that I can buy a Toyota 4cyl solid sleeve and have it milled to 55 mm and use that to replace the crush sleeve if I wanted to. I like the solid spacers because I can monkey with the shims to get the preload right, then torque down the nut and stake it and know it won't change.

This also I said before I realized how small the tires were. Shouldn't be too big of a deal for that small of a tire.
Check ;)

Add a heavy foot to that and I am sure she will entertain all who are within viewing distance.

This is what I'm waiting for. :popcorn:

And Matt you have plenty of time to get it fixed up by November (even as much as you procrastinate :lol:)

Sent from another Galaxy

This is what I'm waiting for. :popcorn:

And Matt you have plenty of time to get it fixed up by November (even as much as you procrastinate :lol:)

Sent from another Galaxy

Man that hurts, that really hurts....:censor: The truth is a cold hearted b**** sometimes. (I know you are just busting my chops ;p)

Besides, since this is momma's rig, I somehow feel like I will be getting some special leniency for working on this one :hmm:

In all honesty, I am kind of looking forward to seeing what she can do. :steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom