Squeak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Two days ago a new squeak started to appear on my Fj40. It appears after driving for about 20 minutes. It is tied to the engine speed and sometimes stops for a second when accelerating. Wheel speed has no effect.

I was worried that it was a bearing or something but now think it’s just a belt.

Here is a video. I am going to try retensioning the belts tonight to see if it goes away.

Does it squeak a while moving, or stopped or both?

If you don't have a mechanic's stethoscope, you can likely pick one up pretty cheaply at any major auto parts store or Harbor Freight. My guess is the alternator bearing(s) or water pump possibly if it's not the belt itself. The stethoscope will help you really track it down though.

Your alternator looks new so its either the belt or a bearing in the alternator. I installed a new (not rebuilt) alternator on another project in 2004 and it has squeaked from the first day.

Take a 2 to 3 foot length of garden or heater hose, put one end to your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment and try to locate the noise that way.

Do the cheap easy things first. Occam's razor, et al.

Nah, it's frame-off resto time!

Seriously, a warmed up belt seems like a likely culprit. Take 20 extra minutes and scuff up the pulleys, which of course are now polished, and promise to polish your new belt if you don't.

heresy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom