SPOTTED (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Up in Missoula today at Kingfisher fly shop, spotted a white 40, then again a few minutes later on Higgins.
20231112_122621.jpg

Spotted in my HAM study materials:
The antenna is mounted to the fiberglass top. The image is showing an operator using the 70 cm band. What conclusions can we deduce from the image? Select the correct answer.

A. The antenna is one half wave in length.
B. The driver is bad at basketball.
C. The Land Cruiser was not produced to U.S. specifications.
D. The roof leaks.
E. All of the above.

Answer:
E. All of the above.
A fiberglass top does not provide a ground plane to the antenna. An antenna with a length of one half of the wavelength of the band it is operating in does not require a ground plane. Assuming that the antenna is a half-wave, we can deduce that it is ~13.75 inches long. If we then scale the image, we determine that the Land Cruiser is ~31.5 inches tall. A U.S. spec 40-series Land Cruiser is ~6 feet (72 inches) tall. The driver appears to be proportional to the vehicle, so we can deduce that they are ~3 feet tall, and therefore quite bad at basketball. You don't drill holes through an old fiberglass roof without consequences. That roof leaks.
IMG_5729.jpeg

The antenna is mounted to the fiberglass top. The image is showing an operator using the 70 cm band. What conclusions can we deduce from the image? Select the correct answer.

A. The antenna is one half wave in length.
B. The driver is bad at basketball.
C. The Land Cruiser was not produced to U.S. specifications.
D. The roof leaks.
E. All of the above.

Answer:
E. All of the above.
A fiberglass top does not provide a ground plane to the antenna. An antenna with a length of one half of the wavelength of the band it is operating in does not require a ground plane. Assuming that the antenna is a half-wave, we can deduce that it is ~13.75 inches long. If we then scale the image, we determine that the Land Cruiser is ~31.5 inches tall. A U.S. spec 40-series Land Cruiser is ~6 feet (72 inches) tall. The driver appears to be proportional to the vehicle, so we can deduce that they are ~3 feet tall, and therefore quite bad at basketball. You don't drill holes through an old fiberglass roof without consequences. That roof leaks.
View attachment 3482449
LOL! Nice

There's a 55 sitting in the lot at AF&T over in Belgrade this morning. Anyone know the story on it?

Seen that PZJ70 around a couple of times now, spoke with the owner earlier this summer. He has several other pretty epic Cruisers. @SNLC did a pretty epic restoration on it a few years back.

There's a 55 sitting in the lot at AF&T over in Belgrade this morning. Anyone know the story on it?
The 55 is now parked in the front row near the street. That's usually where the vehicles that are for sale sit.

Edit: Just heard from AF&T that the 55 is for sale. They do not have a price on it yet. Reasonable offers will be entertained.

Last edited:
20231122_153846.jpg

20231122_153900.jpg

20231122_153927.jpg

20231122_153947.jpg

20231122_153620.jpg

It's had a rough life. One would expect it to be cheap.

fold the back seat down and you can squeeze 2 bull elk in there. i had the shredded headliner for proof lol. from the pics that one still has some life left in it if you're not real picky on cosmetics. i would assume the rear body mounts are rusted away which is a pain but fixable (when sam brings his home next trip we're going to replace one of his) the rest is just use a cutoff wheel and weld in some street sign. floor boards also prone to rust. appears the rear window regulator is probably shot or window is just missing. front fenders need some luving where the turn signals mount. if i was looking for a classic beater i'd think pretty hard about it, sure wouldn't pay much for it and remember that most 55 parts are nla. even windshields can be hard to find. a 55 on 40's is about as good as it gets. without going to look at, just from the pics the body doesn't look as horrible as it appears.

The wife says I should buy it, clean it, immediately sell it, and try to make a profit. I'm not sure if there's enough people interested in them to make that work. The parts do seem to be unobtainium, not everyone knows what they are, and they have a face only a mother could love.

that would be a parts rig for me
disc axle, long asco hubs, 4 speed, engine?
last registered in 2015, hard to say if any of the gear train would be good.
3 stock disc rims, wonder if the spare is underneath
windshield is no good, several cracks, I do know where a good 55 windshield is located in Helena

there's been a 55 in Kalispell for sale for over a month at $2000 and still for sale

I don't think the one in Kalispell is worth that much and this one would be less

If someone else is funding the build, I'd happily put it on links and 40s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom