Spike. 1965 FJ45 LWB Survivor from an Arizona hill side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Powder coat pickup day! 2 FJ45 frames with my much younger (one is his) friend helping. All parts sourced, powder coating completed, tub being sandblasted and painted.

IMG_2938.jpeg

IMG_2937.jpeg

IMG_2936.jpeg

IMG_2541.jpeg

IMG_2542.jpeg

Last edited:
I have not updated in a long time. I am better on working than updating. Frame is powder coated, suspension installed, finished. Tub and most parts other parts painted. Also smalls powder coated. Engine, trans, transfercase all rebuilt and back.

Drive train and Tub are on frame, wiring and most everything installed except for seats. Engine builder is coming back after holidays for initial engine fire up. Most all electrical is working after idle for over 25 years.

Birdhead steering wheel is finished and back.

IMG_3311.jpeg

IMG_3314.jpeg

IMG_0792.jpeg

IMG_3312.jpeg

I was in contact with original owner but have not heard back recently. I fear the worst as he was not in good health. Going to reach out again today to him and his daughter. Fingers crossed.

I beat myself up since it is not finished. However had several FJ40 projects to complete. All finished and gone except for 1979 White. Traveling over the holidays so. It is finished will sell it when I return. Also took in a 1982 Nordic Blue. It will sit until FJ45 is finished.

IMG_2500.jpeg

IMG_2503.jpeg

IMG_3321.jpeg

IMG_3325.jpeg

Wow! To the extent you’re doing this restore just a thought - there’s a mud member who has repop’d the upper thermostat housing, and I think still has a few left. Mine looks like yours but the upper radiator hose covers the rough part and doesn’t leak, so good enough for my level of functional resto. Yours is to a much much more concours level. Just a thought.

So sad for the original owner. I have no doubt that he knew it went to the right person. Great job on the restoration.

Last edited:
So sad for the original owner. I have no doubt that he knew it went to the right person. Great job in the restoration.
Thanks very much for your kind comments! I did not know him well but enjoyed meeting him and emails. One of the last emails I received from him was this picture last Christmas that he drew. The FJ45 is in the background.

Image 1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom