Speaker Pod Install....the way I did it. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So for this truck, I used a pair of JBL 6.5" speakers...GTO-629 shallow mount speakers. I'm sure they are the wrong ones for this application but they sound really good. Moving up from the 5.25 to the 6.5 really made a big difference. Much richer sound. I think I'll probably re-do the 73's speakers now.

Had to do a little more trimming on the sheetmetal of the door to fit them but they cleared pretty easily.

I also flipped the MDF mounting pieces...used the R on the L and the L on the R. Seemed like a better surface to mount the speaker to(flatter). Did the same technique of screwing thru the door card into the MDF to secure the speaker/MDF to it. Way different than the exterior mount that they recommend. Again....I did this in the pursuit of being able to use OEM grilles.

All done.....the 80 series grille will fit perfect once I get them. When Cruiserparts.net tells you they have it in stock, they sometimes(a lot of times?) don't. Oak grille covers are NLA from Toyota...had to do what I swear to never do every time I do it.....use Cruiserparts.

This setup is the way to go I think....really happy with the sound quality. Going to spend a few hours in the truck this weekend getting to listen to it to.

They really look nice. Obviously sized to fit both 2 door and 4 door. It would have been a bit nicer if they were made a bit longer for the 2 door. It coulda had 2 bottle pockets. Picky, picky, picky. :hillbilly:

They really look nice. Obviously sized to fit both 2 door and 4 door. It would have been a bit nicer if they were made a bit longer for the 2 door. It coulda had 2 bottle pockets. Picky, picky, picky. :hillbilly:

They look amazingly OEM which is what I like.....especially with the proper OEM speaker grilles. Not so much with aftermarket grilles.

I'm just happy I have one place now to put a water bottle....head might explode with 2!

Did you trim the screw boss to allow the factory pocket to be closer to the speaker pod .?
Nope...that's how the pocket fits on the pod.....no mods necessary. There are 2 larger holes that allow the pocket to sit flush(and index them)...but there are still gaps between the pocket and the pod once they are mounted. Very slight gaps....enough to allow sand, dirt, water to drain. Really a smart design.

Can I add to your story or should I start a new post??

The earlier 76 wagons in South Africa got electric windows, but no door speakers, so a lot of "installers" had a field day, with varying success. In all cases, a bit of the door metal had to be cut away to accommodate the magnet. Why do these monkeys not have tools to remove the door panel and to cut metal work properly? And the vapor sheet is always destroyed and never ever replaced.
Mine came from the PO with these awful, badly mounted pods, but with nice Prime speakers. We don’t seem to have those plastic panels with the storage bin, but I found these.

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

But i first had to repair these:
IMG_9273.JPG

And this:

I dig it. I guess they make 6x9 cutout panels too?
Are you bringing these in? If so, add a set of gray 6x9 cutout panels to my Kut-Snake order :D

Yep....bringing them in and they do a 6x9. Just need to know color. I have just about enough orders to get the next order headed our way. PM me and I'll get some details.

We popped on the Kut Snakes on the front and rear of my new build 79 today. They're COOL..

Can I add to your story or should I start a new post??

The earlier 76 wagons in South Africa got electric windows, but no door speakers, so a lot of "installers" had a field day, with varying success. In all cases, a bit of the door metal had to be cut away to accommodate the magnet. Why do these monkeys not have tools to remove the door panel and to cut metal work properly? And the vapor sheet is always destroyed and never ever replaced.
Mine came from the PO with these awful, badly mounted pods, but with nice Prime speakers. We don’t seem to have those plastic panels with the storage bin, but I found these.

View attachment 1927745
View attachment 1927744

But i first had to repair these:
View attachment 1927746

And this:

Cool idea for repairing the door cards. We have bonded thin sheets of carbon fiber scrap to do that but the glass is really a good idea...never thought of that.

My next build will have power windows...going to be interesting to see how the speakers work with those...pretty sure it's going to be a bit more of a challenge.

As I said, a bit of cutting needed on the 76 with letric windows, but not much. I also found a nice strong plastic sheet which bonds to the door with a Mastic sealant, not butile and not silicon. The speaker magnet pressed against this plactic sheet, but a bit of the missus's haid dryer sorted that out. The pods are heavy, so I managed to get a few self tappers under the speaker, holding the pod to the metal work. Only one is exposed and thats under the map holder, out of sight.
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0813.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg
D435B5AD-BD8D-4CF4-A84E-22149B7897D7.JPG

Very slight gaps....enough to allow sand, dirt, water to drain. Really a smart design.

yeah .. I know .. I don't like that ..

I like the design. Pockets always get filled up with junk. I would think that they mount the same on an OEM door card with the gap? I have a set of factory door panels with I will have to check. Curious now.

Yeah I don't like that much gap .. I trimmed mines to make them sit closer ..
I looked at my OEM ones and there is no gap. Looks pretty good. Might have to think about your modification...

I looked at my OEM ones and there is no gap. Looks pretty good. Might have to think about your modification...

While I trimmed mine ( pass door ) still there is a light / gap in there .. less than the drivers side ( which I didn't trim coz didn't take in cout at first ) now I'm kinda lazy to un bolt all just to trim it .. :frown:

Been there.....sometimes it's best to just leave it alone. I really hate taking those door cards on and off.

I spent about 4 hours in the truck over the weekend....really really like this setup with the JBL speakers. They sound great. I left the 4" dash speakers hooked up...wired the JBLs in as my rears. I think I'll go back and swap out the 5.25s in the 73 for these speakers. Lots of sound....good bass.....really clear too.

The only issue with the pods is that I keep forgetting my water bottle is in them. I almost pulled over to fish out a bottle of water from the fridge which was confusing because I KNEW I had brought a bottle with me for the ride back home. Realized where it was once and had a laugh.

Supposedly Cruiserparts shipped the grilles yesterday....so once those arrive and they're on, I'll get some pics up.

Getting ready to place an order for more pods if anyone is looking for some. Drop me a PM.

Finally got my Oak grilles from Cruiserparts.....they were a tad dark. I had a SEM sample card and the color that seemed to match the pods was Medium Prairie Tam Color Coat....SEM 15893 Amazon product ASIN B0085MJ9OS
Used some SEM adhesion promoter as well.

Painted speaker grille is obviously on the right. Need to get them in the truck now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom