Spartan Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So Aussie Locker is out of stock of the rear locker for the 9.5" toyota rear axle. They sold the the last one on Monday 13 Feb 12. Tax return was in, :princess: had given it a green light, and then I look on the website and it says, "out of stock." I called and they told me it would be two months. I started looking for other options.

As most know, the Aussie and Lockrite are very similar designs. The Spartan locker is as well, but you DO NOT re-use the spider gear thrust washers. They also include four small rods that hold the pin/springs down when you install the drivers. Only one measurement is taken and that is the distance between the drivers. Easier than the Aussie locker, and nearly dummy proof!

The Spartan is made by USA Standard Gear. They are owned by Randy's ring and pinion. The cost is around $325 before shipping. I'm installing mine tonight and I'll post pics. They also include a beefier cross pin shaft. This design just makes it that much easier to install a lunchbox locker in the rear of an unlocked 80 series. I bet start to finish this will take an hour max. Pictures to come...

Last edited:
I took pictures of the parts, but once I started going I hit some bumps in the road, with the biggest one being the 3rd member's weight. It was only me and I was finally able to get it back in place. The acutal placement of the locker in the carrier took maybe 30 minutes. The rest of the project took 4 hours! It is 4:00am here in Colorado now...

Last edited:
I'm surprised that there were no vendors carrying the Aussies in stock. Must be really popular. The Powertrax No Slip is a good option, but definitely more $$$. John

Here's the box:
002.jpg

And what's inside:
004.jpg

The drivers did not come with the small rods sticking out of them. You first place the fours pins and springs in the holes and then push them down one by one and install the rods in a small hole. When you see the instructions provided, you will understand. Once installed, you just line up the opposite holes with the pin/springs and pull the small rods out one by one. No small 90 degree pics, etc. like the Aussie or Lockrite. This step was engineered into this design and makes this installation that much easier. Spider and side gears come out with the thrust washers. Again, you DO NOT re-use the thrust washers. The only measurement is between the drivers. It needs to be between 0.145-0.170 inches. The instructions talk about cutting the small rods up yourself, but this must be an outdated step, because they send you 4 pre cut, identitical rods. Here's the link to the page on Randy's Ring and Pinion with full instructions (scroll down and you will see them):
Spartan Lockers by USA Standard Gear

Randy's owns USA Standard Gear, but here is their website as well:
USA Standard Gear. Products.

And here's the Aussie Locker install threads that will help with how to remove the axle shafts, third member/carrier, cross shaft, and spider gears/thrust washers:

Hayes original write-up https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/118690-aussie-locker-install.html

spdwaver1 write-up https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/352230-another-aussie-locker-install-1993-fzj80.html

And here's a head-to-head match-up/review of lunchbox lockers including the Spartan in JP Magazine:
Head-To-Head Lunchboxes Drop In Locker Shootout - Jp Magazine

After three days of trying this locker out, it runs very smooth on the road, but when I drop into low, you know it is engaged. The typical clicking/pop happens in high on slow turns and on turns in reverse, but that is normal for this design. It has been discussed, but the pin 7 mod does make these lockers almost selectable, because when you lock the t-case, you essentially lock these lockers. Sorry for no true install pics, but the two Aussie Locker threads covered this in such detail, I decided not to rehash it.

Hmmm. A less-expensive, somewhat beefier, easier-to-install locker, I'm surprised this is the first I've heard of them.

Neat option, but neither Spartan page shows a Toyota application bigger than 8". Does not list Landcruiser..

On this link:

Spartan Lockers by USA Standard Gear

The 9.5" toyota rear is not listed, but part SL TLC-30 is an option to pick on the right side and then it shows you it is for the 9.5". The link scottryana posted is the next link once you click on SL TCL-30. Randy's must have not updated that page yet. A little confusing, and probably not the best for business.

So, how about an update on this Spartan is working out.....noisy?? Street manners?? Off road performance?? I am in the same boat.....looking for an aussie and have been told by several vendors end of June to mid-July before they are back in stock. So, I am looking for an alternative but would like to hear some real world experience rather than what a magazine wrote. Thanks.

So Aussie Locker is out of stock of the rear locker for the 9.5" toyota rear axle. They sold the the last one on Monday 13 Feb 12. Tax return was in, :princess: had given it a green light, and then I look on the website and it says, "out of stock." I called and they told me it would be two months. I started looking for other options.

As most know, the Aussie and Lockrite are very similar designs. The Spartan locker is as well, but you DO NOT re-use the spider gear thrust washers. They also include four small rods that hold the pin/springs down when you install the drivers. Only one measurement is taken and that is the distance between the drivers. Easier than the Aussie locker, and nearly dummy proof!

The Spartan is made by USA Standard Gear. They are owned by Randy's ring and pinion. The cost is around $325 before shipping. I'm installing mine tonight and I'll post pics. They also include a beefier cross pin shaft. This design just makes it that much easier to install a lunchbox locker in the rear of an unlocked 80 series. I bet start to finish this will take an hour max. Pictures to come...
A buddy of mine wants auto lockers in his new FJ 40 setup. I told him about these and he is interested. He had a couple of questions I could not answer, an I did not see answers on the web page either. What makes these better than other brands: bigger, better steel, etc. I know it does not use the thrust washers, and it says to measure the distance between drivers. So how do you correct that distance? I don't see any other shims in the box. Price looks to be a bit higher than what I remember the other brands to cost. John

The price is not much more than the an Aussie Locker. I don't have an answer for you on what happens if the driver measurement is out of specs. It would be a great question for Randy's Ring and Pinion. Mine was just barely in specs. As far as being stronger, they do provide you with a beefier hardened cross-shaft. I have wheeled my rig hard multiple times now with 38's, and this locker is great. Does exactly what an auto locker is supposed to do.

So how's it holding up? Any regrets on not going w/the Aussie?

Please forgive the noobish question but am I to infer that I could add a rear locker to my unlocked 80 for a mere $355, plus installation? Or is there more to it than that? (I assume)

Last edited:
Please forgive the noobish question but am I to infer that I could add a rear locker to my unlocked 80 for a mere $355, plus installation? Or is there more to it than that? (I assume)

Yep, that's about what I paid. I had a local guy who is skilled at setting up gears install a Spartan in the rear of my LC, after I destroyed my spider gears being a little too aggressive with the skinny pedal while wheeling.

In the beginning it was a little noisy, mostly in parking lots, but it has settled in nicely and is now very quiet and I hardly know it is back there. I followed a break in procedure for new gears, although no one said I needed to for this. Not sure if that helped. I do believe that it is important to set it up right to avoid problems and if you are not skilled at gearing, it might be better to have someone install for you.

Here's a pic of the Spartan installed in my rear third.

Spartan locker

This drop in type locker is the easiest to install. You don't need to mess with the gears as it just replaces the spiders. In my 40 series, installation in the rear would just require to pop open the diff cover and partially back out the axle shafts. No need to drop out the third. Are the 80's the same? When I installed my Spartan in the front I definitely had to drop out the third, and the front is a little more involved. Anyone can do this install with basic tools. No gear master required. Learn to work on your junk and save $$$!

Oh I love my Spartan locked front btw!

Summit has it for $294 w/free shipping! Hardest part is taking out the 3rd member, the rest is cake. Only basic tools needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom