Spartan Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No you do not need to take the ring gear out. You pull the axles out, pull the cover off, remove the spider gears, install the Spartan and put everything back together. Easy hour long job.

So you didn't have to take out the ring gear? I heard the stock spider gear pin will hit the ring gear.. i guess one way to find out it take it apart..

No you do not need to take the ring gear out. You pull the axles out, pull the cover off, remove the spider gears, install the Spartan and put everything back together. Easy hour long job.

The full float axle doesn't have a cover, so drop the third.

For C-clip rear axles (like most US FJ40s), the center pin has to come out before the axles can be removed, so for even thick ring gears, like 4.88 and 5.29, a couple of the teeth must be ground down to make clearance for the pin. So no, you don't need to remove the ring gear because you have to remove the pin first even if you wanted to remove it.

Anymoreong term reviews on these lockers ? Looking to put one in the rear of my 4BT 80 series

I daily drive mine with a Spartan rear; been a year and a half now and no issues. Was installed by the previous owner and he ran it for a year himself with no issue.

I had a Spartan in an old 4Runner. When it locked, it was LOCKED, same as any other. Felt great. It was nice to be able to turn in parking lots with only a bit of ratcheting noise compared to the welded unit I had before :rofl:

I don’t think I’ll hear anything considering I have a 4 cylinder Cummins that’s about 50000 decibels . As long as driving manners and strength , on and offroad are decent , I don’t wanna fork up 1500+ for a selectable locker if I can get by with this ..

Not an 80 but I put one in my 4 runner recently. It does what it’s supposed to do and traction is perfect. It’s sucks as a daily in the light 4 runner though. Unlocks randomly like it should but it’s violent.

Also was $240 not $1000 so I got what I paid for and knew what I was getting into.

My good daily rigs won’t have one. The beater runner is ok with it.

Not an 80 but I put one in my 4 runner recently. It does what it’s supposed to do and traction is perfect. It’s sucks as a daily in the light 4 runner though. Unlocks randomly like it should but it’s violent.

Also was $240 not $1000 so I got what I paid for and knew what I was getting into.

My good daily rigs won’t have one. The beater runner is ok with it.
I figure it’s easy enough to pull out if I don’t like it , can also move it to the front considering I have a part time conversion .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom