Spartan Locker (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or is there more to it than that? (I assume)

It is an automatic "locker" meaning it only locks both wheels together if one wheel loses traction and slips. In all other situations, one wheel is driving and one wheel is ratcheting. The drive side switches when you turn and when you go from coast to accelerate and visa versa. This causes some negative handling issues, like popping and banging and twitching of the rear end. You can minimize these issues by changing your driving style. If you don't, you may not enjoy an autolocker.

I installed one of these (with the help of 3 fellow mudders, at a shop with lift, etc) and met with disaster. When I tried to get some relief, I was told it was my fault and that I'd done an incorrect installation. I countered and asked only for the replacement of part of the locker parts to attempt to either sell or install into a different 3rd (my original was ruined by the locker install first time around), and was told nope, no help.

So, hate to be that guy, but I'll warn you that if it doesn't go just right, you might not get help out of the company selling these.

A link: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/729459-rth-spider-gear-re-installation.html

You could get an Aussie or Lockrite instead. Same design and function and the manufacturers have a good warranty track record.

I have an Aussie and even on ice and snow there are no ill manners.

It is an automatic "locker" meaning it only locks both wheels together if one wheel loses traction and slips. In all other situations, one wheel is driving and one wheel is ratcheting. The drive side switches when you turn and when you go from coast to accelerate and visa versa. This causes some negative handling issues, like popping and banging and twitching of the rear end. You can minimize these issues by changing your driving style. If you don't, you may not enjoy an autolocker.

Are you saying the lock turns the 4wheel drive 80 into a 3 wheel drive?

Are you saying the lock turns the 4wheel drive 80 into a 3 wheel drive?

That is one way to look at it, but it works like that only when all wheels have normal traction. If one of the locker wheels slip, then it is all wheel drive. With an open differential, when one wheel slips it is no wheel drive.

Last edited:
It's difficult to understand how this type locker works.

My understanding is that both wheels are locked full time, but, by design, the outside wheel can turn faster than than the inside wheel for turning- inside drive wheel ( the ratcheting from the outside wheel spinning faster during turns).

With an open diff, it is opposite- the inside wheel can spin slower- outside wheel driving.

Does that sound right?

Pat

No that isn't right. It works simply on torque. Going slow or coasting around a corner the locker acts just like your open diff. When you gas it the torque forces the ratcheting teeth together and locks the diff.

Last edited:
Auto lockers are simply always locked only until there is enough resistance (dry road while turning and coasting) to allow the plates to ratchet away from each other. If you gas it on dry roads while in a corner it'll stay locked and the vehicle will want to straighten up. Just adjust your driving technique accordingly that's all. Auto lockers are simple and I like that.

not giving up on that are you?
just look at the picture in post 18.
just sitting on the bench that rear is locked. you can even see two of the four sets of pins and springs that help keep it that way. you can also see the the center pin that will keep the two sides forced together while under power.

Just because the coupler and driver have meshed teeth doesn't mean it is driving the wheel. The teeth mesh temporarily when one side is ratcheting too. It is the contact with the center pin that drives the wheel.

You can easily prove to yourself that torque does not cause the auto locker to lock. Make a U turn with the windows down and apply increasing torque to accelerate. You will hear the "locker" ratchet all the way around the turn as you apply torque, proving that torque does not cause it to lock. Torque only causes both sides to lock when it is enough to cause a wheel to lose traction.

I've had my Spartan locker in the rear of my Pathfinder (spool front) for three years. Never had any problems... mind you I didn't have much in the way of torque. I changed the front to a Spartan last year. soon after, I thought I broke all the pins due to an bad installation, I called CompleteOffoad, told them what i *thought* I did and they sent me all new pins and springs. No problem.
I'm going to do Spartan lockers front and rear in the 80 this winter, I'll post install pics (no video, I suck at acting... and swear WAY too much)

Know this is an old thread, but a bit curious. I just ordered a Spartan for my rear diff in the FJ40. Some have said they are running one in the front diff - how well does it behave on the tarmac? Does it make the vehicle unmanageable - I have 33" tires, power steering and hydroboost power brakes.
Any comments? Whos running one of these in the front?

It's unnoticeable in the front, as long as you don't lock the hubs. I only lock the front when wheeling anyways and it was a bear to steer over the technical sections especially when I had manual steering. I found if you get off the gas pedal and coast, it makes it easier to steer and doing a 2-Lo mod helps too or you'll be going straight when trying to turn.

I just did a 60 series power steering conversion over the winter but the rig doesn't come out til spring so I can't comment yet but I'm sure it's gonna be a whole lot easier. I run tall skinnies (33x10.50) btw so the rubber is less resistant too which helps in steering.

I just installed a SPARTAN locker in the rear of my BJ70, its gone from good off road to great! Highly recommend. IMG_20150922_221039.jpg IMG_20150927_082304.jpg

Currently I run 35's and with the 60 series power steering, I don't have any problems. Ya sometimes it's tough when doing a multi-point turn but I manage. The Spartan has been holding up great! I love being locked front and rear (Detroit in rear btw).

I know this is an old thread but..
Do you have to remove the ring gear to install these or remove the old spider gear?

Not that I recall. I have the stock 4.10 gears. Taller gears can be thicker, though.

Not that I recall. I have the stock 4.10 gears. Taller gears can be thicker, though.
So you didn't have to take out the ring gear? I heard the stock spider gear pin will hit the ring gear.. i guess one way to find out it take it apart..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom