Sony XAV-AX100 Install w/ Backup Cam (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going through my Sony XAV-AX100 install, and I'm a bit confused about what to do with the blue antenna wire (REM OUT) on the radio and the Metra harness. I understand that if I leave it disconnected, the antenna buttons on the dash work fine. That would be fine for me, but it would be fun to have it auto raise/lower by the radio though.

Looking through the wiring diagrams, it looks like the connector pins A8 and A9 are tied to pins on the antenna ECU; and A9 is also tied to the rear woofer amp. The Metra harness shorting them together seems like it might not be the right thing then if they should be controlled separately, or if the auto antenna ECU treats those signals differently.

How have folks hooked up this wire, if at all?

How have folks hooked up this wire, if at all?

Sounds like connecting it causes problems, but maybe not on '97 rigs for some reason.

Sounds like connecting it causes problems, but maybe not on '97 rigs for some reason.
Finished my install today and just ended up not hooking up the blue wire. It sounds from that thread that someone would need to reverse-engineer the antenna ECU to figure out how the input signals work, then jimmy something up.

My contribution to this thread: I would not recommend using the Amazon special eRapta ETR01, based on ease of wiring, for a 80-series Cruiser. It comes with a RCA jack and a similar barrel plug for power connections, and I could not route both of them through the tailgate loom - only one or the other. I ended up routing both of them outside as shown below, which... seems functional but I don't like it at all. If I could have cut the video signal wire and re-terminated it, I would have done that.

I do like that it has a radio-trigger-wire at the camera end that gets routed with the video signal down to the radio - it meant I only had to tap into the reverse signal once (forgot to take pictures). Video quality is also good.

Amazon product ASIN B074KZSVD6
IMG_3218.jpg

Finished my install today and just ended up not hooking up the blue wire. It sounds from that thread that someone would need to reverse-engineer the antenna ECU to figure out how the input signals work, then jimmy something up.

My contribution to this thread: I would not recommend using the Amazon special eRapta ETR01, based on ease of wiring, for a 80-series Cruiser. It comes with a RCA jack and a similar barrel plug for power connections, and I could not route both of them through the tailgate loom - only one or the other. I ended up routing both of them outside as shown below, which... seems functional but I don't like it at all. If I could have cut the video signal wire and re-terminated it, I would have done that.

I do like that it has a radio-trigger-wire at the camera end that gets routed with the video signal down to the radio - it meant I only had to tap into the reverse signal once (forgot to take pictures). Video quality is also good.

Amazon product ASIN B074KZSVD6
View attachment 3058291
Run the camera wire through the rubber conduit. A little lube and it’ll go.

Run the camera wire through the rubber conduit. A little lube and it’ll go.
I installed this exact radio and prolly the same camera into my '03 4runner. I ran the camera wires through the tailgate flexible conduit near the hinge and it worked out fine. Of course, little dishwashing soap helped facilitate things.

Has anyone tried to download and use the Land Cruiser screen on the new version of this radio yet? The updated model number is XAVAX1000. I wasn't sure if the firmware is correct for the new model.

Not sure about the newer radios, but I updated the software on my original xav-ax100 and I have lost not only the caution disable described on the first page of this thread, but also lost the custom startup screen. ☹️
I've tried to go back to the original software version, but still no joy.
I've also lost the ability to play phone calls through the radio. It always defaults the sound to the phone itself. Defeats the whole hands free ability. I'm ready to replace the radio.

This definitely isn't for the AX1000 model. There are subtle differences between the AX100 and AX1000. The AX1000 only supports Apple Carplay(no Android Auto support) and includes a front USB. But regardless, the patches/logo/etc that I laid out only work on the AX100 model.

@Shipwreck I do have a downgrade zip file that you can try out. I haven't had to use it, but I remember grabbing it off the Github page after some folks upgraded their units and lost the custom logo. Let me know if you want to give it a try.

Very informative thread. Thank you. I just installed the Sony XAV AX5000. I put the USB port above the stereo, as that is closest to my phone mount. I also went a different direction for my backup camera. I ran the wires along the right side of the vehicle and exited through the rocker panel sunroof drain. From there I routed it to the rear bumper cross member. It is not centered on the vehicle, but serves the purpose I need.

PXL_20230211_222435820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom