Son of a B!&%$ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My beloved '71 F-1 spun a bearing. Now I need a new motor. Preferably an F-2. Anybody got a line on whose selling rebuilds? TYIA.
IMG_1071.jpg

What bearing?

Are you sure it’s bad enough to warrant an engine swap?

If it is as simple as a bearing, replace the bearings and have the crankshaft polished, or cam, whatever the other surface is.

It may be an easier solution to do a basic rebuild before you go swapping engines.

I was adjusting valves once, led to a full frame off rebuild of my 40.

BTW, nice rig! If you did wipe a bearing you should really just sell me that rig for a couple hundred bucks!

BTW, nice rig! If you did wipe a bearing you should really just sell me that rig for a couple hundred bucks!

You fishing?....(high jack over)

My beloved '71 F-1 spun a bearing. Now I need a new motor. Preferably an F-2. Anybody got a line on whose selling rebuilds? TYIA.View attachment 1817583

2F's come up for sale many times in the Classifieds....or, there are several vendor's on here could possibly help out.

SHOUT OUT TO ALL VENDORS: sell me a motor. :)

You don't need an entire engine if it's truly just a spun bearing. Talk to Mark, he's a bit north of you.
Calling @65swb45

hummm, let me think about it. Thx for the tips, I've got a mechanic working on it and exploring both the rebuild and swap-out options.

Don’t let Ryan have it for a “ couple hundred bucks”!!

I’ll give you $350.

It’s a beaut!!

Don’t let Ryan have it for a “ couple hundred bucks”!!

I’ll give you $350.

It’s a beaut!!

When the dust clears I'll take the boat anchor F engine. The 2F seems to be the way to go. Have a 60 FJ25, 65 FJ45 and 70 FJ40 all with early 2Fs. Very common up grade years ago. Been close to thirty years since I has to rebuild a F engine with a spun rod bearing. Interesting how times have changed. Mechanics now are looking to change parts rather then rebuilding them. Not singling out any mechanic just what I've noticed.

My beloved '71 F-1 spun a bearing. Now I need a new motor. Preferably an F-2. Anybody got a line on whose selling rebuilds? TYIA.View attachment 1817583

I REALLY like your AVATAR , :rolleyes:

All the new OEM Lamps with upgraded LED Bulbs Rock !

I also 2nd @65swb45 / marksoffroad.com for any possible replacement engine parts

he also , can do any needed repairs in-house , as he is hands on shop and parts Vendor

btw,

WELCOME TO MUD.................................

2.jpg

I REALLY appreciate all of the recommendations. I’ve definitely got some issues to work out with my mechanic but I’m one of those guys that wouldn’t mind dropping the cheddar to put some fresh muscle under the hood. But ONLY Yota muscle (if you can call it that). As far as “offloading” it.... y’all don’t know the half of it. This little California Cruiser has been completely buffed out (just missing the PS and AC). I’m not a gear head but am very proud of all of her attributes. She’s my second daughter.

The mighty 2F still powers my cruiser, I’d say it has some muscle.

In all seriousness, and despite the bright chrome and shiny paint, if your Cruiser is still 95% all stock you will retain value by keeping the original engine. Others may disagree, but in my opinion you're better off fixing it rather than swapping it.

In all seriousness, and despite the bright chrome and shiny paint, if your Cruiser is still 95% all stock you will retain value by keeping the original engine. Others may disagree, but in my opinion you're better off fixing it rather than swapping it.

Or bolt in a 2F and hang onto the original F engine. After the mid sixties the engine serial number was dropped for the data plaque under the hood. At that point a matching numbers cruiser is hard to prove minus original paper work showing the serial number. The engine serial number was only noted on any paper work. The transfer case and carburator have a year/month with the number made that month. But have never seen paper that came with a FJ40 with that info on it.

my early serial no plates have the frame no and the engine no stamped on the plate .none of the plates after 66 or so have the engine no.just my observation from the 35 serial no plates i have

There are a couple cruiser shops in California that should be able to build u a motor. Most reputable machine shops should too. Have the internals balanced, shave the head to max to bump compression, delta cam, TBI Efi with EBL ecu dyno tuned. Or sniper ECU with recurved distributor. If u dont mind having the motor shipped to u, u could have FJ40Jim build u a motor if he isn't too busy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom