SAS Solid Axle Summit #7 Official Page (4 Viewers)

SAS #7 Color Choices for Swag and Trail Flags

• • Yellow / Mustard

Votes: 12 13.0%
  • • Sky Blue

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Pollux Orange

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • • Spring Green

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • • Capri Blue

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • • Rustic Green

Votes: 31 33.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Im taking ducking to a new level.

312601437_6202936223067938_5939184866796349161_n.jpg

While you kids have been fixing transmissions, upgrading suspensions, and tweaking flux capacitors to prep for the ride to the SAS, the Bourbon Sponsor here in Northern MI has been hard at work to get everything he needs for the long trip West in August. The custom barrel head from Maker’s Mark arrived today.

More brown liquid goodness to come....

Unknown-1.jpeg

Chasing a noise 🤷‍♂️ The rear third is in good shape as are the axles and drive flanges
1684509021051.png

1684509083356.png

1684509119752.png

I thought I had everything to put it back together but the hub seals in my stash are for the front so waiting for those to come in from Cruiser Outfitters.
I can work on the Hydro assist while I'm waiting, replacing a 9" ram with a 10" ram for more turning radius;)
1684509627466.png
Made by Good old boys in Texas 😁

@Broski whats the noise?
I only hear it at 60-65 MPH and let off the gas and the drive train is slack, if there's back pressure I don't hear it either.
I put my good used spare drive shaft in no change.
Now I'm thinking transfer case but there so dam bulletproof on a 80 🤷‍♂️

I only hear it at 60-65 MPH and let off the gas and the drive train is slack, if there's back pressure I don't hear it either.

I have the same noise in my 80.
On power, nothing
Off power/driven, nothing
Neutral load, sad sounds.

I was thinking t case as well.
Drive line mechanic buddy thinks it might be front pinion bearing.

I have the same noise in my 80.
On power, nothing
Off power/driven, nothing
Neutral load, sad sounds.

I was thinking t case as well.
Drive line mechanic buddy thinks it might be front pinion bearing.
Just went through front third Last year, so both thirds checked and good 🤷‍♂️
Been chasing the noise for over a year now :(

Just went through front third Last year, so both thirds checked and good 🤷‍♂️
Been chasing the noise for over a year now :(

Well s***. I didn't do it, but my tcase was opened up by a PO. Fluid looked great when I dropped it a couple of weeks ago. I ruled out the t case because of that... BUT, the hi-lo lever does increase in vibration when the noise is happening. Which doesn't mean much.

I keep forgetting to check u joints

I have a 4" lift. Could be front drive shaft angle too.

80s with tall lifts and uncorrected front caster make for some angry front DSs. This is well-documented in the 80 section - as are the solutions.

HF2As have a little output shaft wobble at slack throttle due to no torque going through the center diff. This increases with age as the spiders wear in, as the center diff output gears are what locates the "free end" of the output shafts. Putting some torque in it causes everything to tighten-up and center-up. Part time trucks see this to a lesser degree as the worn spiders get replaced with fresh, solid parts that tighten everything up.

Time to go part-time @Broski!

Did you crack open the locker and look inside ? My Detroit made bad sounds it had a few cracked teeth inside . you may have wear ?/

I have a 4" lift. Could be front drive shaft angle too.
I have a brand new DC front drive shaft and less then 3" of lift with 4" of castor correction.
Did you crack open the locker and look inside ? My Detroit made bad sounds it had a few cracked teeth inside . you may have wear ?/
As I'm sure you know the OEM locker is totally different, but yes it was opened up and everything is good !

I have the same problem, but it’s worse than yours it sounds like. I’ve replaced/rebuilt everything. Angles are good. All that’s left is the T-case. I replaced the rear output bearing (since it’s quick and easy) so that’s ruled out too. The issue isn’t there if I drive it in FWD with rear driveshaft removed. I’ve put up with it for years at this point, but it really sucks coasting down those long grades out west.

I have the same problem, but it’s worse than yours it sounds like. I’ve replaced/rebuilt everything. Angles are good. All that’s left is the T-case. I replaced the rear output bearing (since it’s quick and easy) so that’s ruled out too. The issue isn’t there if I drive it in FWD with rear driveshaft removed. I’ve put up with it for years at this point, but it really sucks coasting down those long grades out west.
At this point I figured the t-case as well
Probably just live with it for now as it doesn’t get much highway use.
What @Zjohnsonua said make a lot of sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom