Softer Ride FZJ80 Daily Driver (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,I need your advice.

I have a bone stock FZJ80 1997 AWD GCC Spics , I use it 100% of the time on road as a daily driver.

The Stock ride is very very harsh ,I changed the shocks with Rancho RS9000XL Adjustable Shocks and it made the ride much better.

I can not lower the tires PSI because I live in an area with very high heat ( some days the ambient temp is 140 f- 60 c ) , I risk a blowout if I lower the PSI in the tires.

Can I improve the ride even more? And what is the most reasonable upgrade to the ride quality?

Type of tire and load rating is another factor. Fatigued coil springs or springs rated for a load that doesn’t match your typical weight is another.

Thank you for the post MoJ.

I run dunlop 275/70R16 tires as per the OEM. with a max load of 2601 LBS (1180 KG) each with 32 PSI.

Both third row seats and one spare tire have been removed for better MPG.

Usually I travel alone or with one passenger with no cargo only 5 LBS (2 KG) of tools.

The spring are OEM and had never been changed. my family owned the car since new.

Reinstalling the third row and spare would likely help. I’ve never been in an 80 that didn’t ride better loaded. And be honest with yourself, removing the seat and spare isn’t making an impactful difference in fuel efficiency.

if you are trying to leave it at stock height and not used a lift suspension you should look at some of the Lexus LX450 coils. They are slightly softer than the stock Land Cruiser coilsprings if I remember correctly. I little softer coil combined with your RS9000 shocks would probably be about as soft as you'll get.

Thank you Box Rocket,

I checked the spare parts sites and Unfortunately the coil spring have the same part number.

People say that on the LX450 the socks were valved defiantly. but the coils are the same and that is why the softer ride.

I do not know if any aftermarket springs would improve the ride, I was thinking of progressive or dual rate stock height coil springs.

Last edited:
Dobinsons has a “comfort spring” in a few heights. I wouldn’t guess that it’s any more compliant than stock but possibly worth some more research.

Had a HUGE improvement in ride quality when I replaced all of my worn out suspension bushings.

Thank you cowboyjack,

I checked them Awhile back, but I should recheck them,

did you change yours with rubber bushings or polyurethane? I read that polyurethane would make the ride harsher.

Thank you cowboyjack,

I checked them Awhile back, but I should recheck them,

did you change yours with rubber bushings or polyurethane? I read that polyurethane would make the ride harsher.

OEM...Factory bushings will give you the best ride by far..;)

edited post...

Last edited:
OME bushings will give you the best ride by far..;)
Did you mean OME (Old Man Emu) or OEM? OEM are rubber and easily more compliant than poly.

Thank you woodsman 44 and lumbee1,

OME (Old Man Emu) bushings are yellow poly and some have grooves, The OEM are black rubber.

I thing rubber are more compliant but do not last as long as poly .

Poly are durable and make the car stiffer and is better for handling.

I asked about poly to check if they effect the ride quality significantly.

Used Toyota OEM rubber bushings. The local cruiser folks around here say they last longer than poly bushings.

Thank you cowboyjack,

I do think that OEM is the best option, and if they last longer than poly that is a bonus.

I honestly don't believe you'll get much softer than 25 year old stock springs and OEM shocks.

I think you could do a lot better than Rancho shocks, but the only experience I had of Rancho was an old set on an 80, that I quickly replaced because they were shot/s*** (not sure which)

I have a 93, all original springs and it is in no way harsh.
Handles really well, if anything a little too soft in the rear.
Mine is daily driven, very rarely has any load at all in it.
Does not take much weight at all for it to start to feel too soft in the back end.

You could experiment with adding some ballast in the back.
I work in construction, there's been occasions I've had 100kg of bagged concrete mix in the back of mine, and it is immediately noticeable

+1 to what @mudgudgeon just posted.

My 80 even with 4” Slee heavy/prog RR springs rides a heck of alot more cushy when I have 4 bags of stove pellets (160#’s) in back both for weight traction & I can throw pellets under tires if I need traction aid in snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom