Softer Ride FZJ80 Daily Driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Don’t the 100s come with some frame weight. I wonder if there was a way to incorporate that into the 80 and if it would make any difference

Thank you mudgudgeon & LINUS,

Unfortunately the ride was very harsh since we got it new back in 1997. I do not know if it is the FZJ80 AWD or GCC specs but since we got it after a 50 mile ( 80 KM ) journey my back would start to hurt, and I is not just me every passenger I ever had would mention how harsh the ride was. I had been in many fj80s and none of them compared to the stiff ride I had.

I have installed the Rancho shocks and it is 10 times better than it was. and I am really happy with the ride but if I can get it to ride like a chevy I would be over the moon. 😁

As both of you and MoJ mentioned the wight , I think reinstalling the third row seats and the spare tire may make the ride softer by loading the spring.

I had the same problem with a dually chevy truck and once I really loaded it , it rode like a cadillac.

I wounder if there is a way to load the spring but without the added wight?? Does anyone know of a method?

Thank you Jroc561,

If the 100s suspension can fix the issue I would like that very much since the 100s second hand parts (removed for a lift) are readily available where I live.

Thank you mudgudgeon & LINUS,

Unfortunately the ride was very harsh since we got it new back in 1997. I do not know if it is the FZJ80 AWD or GCC specs but since we got it after a 50 mile ( 80 KM ) journey my back would start to hurt, and I is not just me every passenger I ever had would mention how harsh the ride was. I had been in many fj80s and none of them compared to the stiff ride I had.

I have installed the Rancho shocks and it is 10 times better than it was. and I am really happy with the ride but if I can get it to ride like a chevy I would be over the moon. 😁

As both of you and MoJ mentioned the wight , I think reinstalling the third row seats and the spare tire may make the ride softer by loading the spring.

I had the same problem with a dually chevy truck and once I really loaded it , it rode like a cadillac.

I wounder if there is a way to load the spring but without the added wight?? Does anyone know of a method?

You can always throw in a few hundred pounds of concrete mix, sand bags, dog food, or whatever and see if it yields a major improvement.

Thank you cowboyjack,

That is a good Idea,if it works the problem is how do I get the same results with out the cargo.

Do I Change, Cut, Heat or Clamp the coil springs?

I think you could do a lot better than Rancho shocks......they were s***

A huge contributor to ride quality “harshness” are sub par shocks and 25 year old OEs would be better than Rancho, their purpose best served in triplicate on each corner of 24” lifted F-250s that shouldn’t be allowed on the street.

Best riding/handling 80 I’ve driven, and continue to DD, was achieved with all new bushings, new OE coils, and Radflo’s. Even with 35” BFG ATs, handles amazingly well and rides like a heavy ass station wagon should.

Not saying the Radflo’s are necessary (although I run on all Cruisers, some of which have been said to be best rides ‘evah’, by those that would know) OEs would probably achieve similar ride results.....anything but Rancho.

Do I Change, Cut, Heat or Clamp the coil springs?

If you do change coils, order rears for PP80, if planning to run sans rear seats.

My 97 came with no sunroof or third row, and coils coincided with similar, non-US part numbers. Wouldn’t think it’d make that big of a difference, but when replaced everything as spec’d, ride is actually comfy, even with the PP cloth seats.

Thank you Delancy,

I got the Rancho shocks because I have a stock height wagon and for the adjustability (since they have a 9 position valve) my OEM shocks were changed before with OEM parts but the ride did not get any better.

It used to ride like my rigged frame motorcycle! (No suspension) and I am not exaggerating.

I do suffer from lower back pain and the uncomfortable ride stopped me from jumping into the FZJ80 and use it less and less and favoring another car/truck instead.

Ones I installed the Rancho shocks the ride is smoother and less jarring, now it rides like a modern car but I love the 90's 2000s US car/ truck suspension and I would like to get it closer to that level of comfort.

If i can not I would continue running the Rancho Shocks because I enjoy the comfort of the ride now much more than with OEM shocks.

My brother had the car before me and he said after the shocks were changed " I had never seen any upgrade make such a drastic improvement, now the ride is bearable "

A huge contributor to ride quality “harshness” are sub par shocks and 25 year old OEs would be better than Rancho, their purpose best served in triplicate on each corner of 24” lifted F-250s that shouldn’t be allowed on the street.

Best riding/handling 80 I’ve driven, and continue to DD, was achieved with all new bushings, new OE coils, and Radflo’s. Even with 35” BFG ATs, handles amazingly well and rides like a heavy ass station wagon should.

Not saying the Radflo’s are necessary (although I run on all Cruisers, some of which have been said to be best rides ‘evah’, by those that would know) OEs would probably achieve similar ride results.....anything but Rancho.
Link? Or exact shock/coil. From what I’ve read it seems like if you are shooting for a smooth street ride then it’s OEM or something with a remote reservoir/adjustable dampening like the bp51s

You stats you cannot lower your tire pressure. What pressure are you actually running?

Also, consider going to a taller, wider tire to increase the sidewall height, which usually softens the ride. 285/75-16 or 315/75-16 should soften the ride but will make the truck taller.

I recently added all OEM factory rubber bushings in my '91- made a huge difference. I did this after installing new Old Man suspension (shocks and coils). I feel that the bushings improved the ride more than the other components did. I live in a rural area with lots of poorly maintained dirt roads, so the difference was immediately noticeable. I believe that if you do shocks, coils, AND all rubber, you will be very happy! As others have said, softer coil/shock packages are available. Best of luck!

Thank you BILT4ME & ColoradoBoy,

I run 32 PSI dunlop 275/70R16 tires as per the OEM specs.

I can not lower the tires PSI because I live in an area with very high heat ( some days the ambient temp is 140 f- 60 c ) , I risk a blowout if I lower the PSI in the tires.

I would prefer softer coils rather than OEM since the ride was harsh since new, But I think I will do all OEM Bushings.

Thank you BILT4ME & ColoradoBoy,

I run 32 PSI dunlop 275/70R16 tires as per the OEM specs.

I can not lower the tires PSI because I live in an area with very high heat ( some days the ambient temp is 140 f- 60 c ) , I risk a blowout if I lower the PSI in the tires.

I would prefer softer coils rather than OEM since the ride was harsh since new, But I think I will do all OEM Bushings.
solid axle will feel jittery on bumps , thats the nature of fzj80

Not trying to be rude, but this is an old truck. Since this is only a daily driver, why not get something more appropriate? Better ride, better mileage, more power, more fun, cheaper maintenance, safer, etc.

Thank you Cruzerman,

I understand your point of view. and I would suggest the same.

But, I have a very strong sentimental attachment to this truck, we used to go on trips with my late grandfather in it.

And he used to say to my father ( when my father owned the truck) this is a nice truck do not sell it, since then we decided to keep it in the family.

so I want to keep it going as long as possible.

Thank you John copello,

You are correct, It is jarring on bumps more than poorly maintained roads.

Thank you Cruzerman,

I understand your point of view. and I would suggest the same.

But, I have a very strong sentimental attachment to this truck, we used to go on trips with my late grandfather in it.

And he used to say to my father ( when my father owned the truck) this is a nice truck do not sell it, since then we decided to keep it in the family.

so I want to keep it going as long as possible.
I totally understand. And if it were me, I would never get rid of that vehicle. Never. But what about getting a better daily driver? I don't drive my cruisers daily for all the reasons mentioned. How about relegating it to recreational vehicle status?

Thank you Cruzerman,

I am thinking of getting a small & fun car like an Lexus IS or a BMW 3 series, and have the FZJ80 as recreational vehicle.

But I am waiting for the funds :frown:, I might be able to do that in a year or 2.

I truly believe you can get what you’re trying to achieve with the 80, there’s just a lack of insight regarding it because it’s not usually what is sought after on these forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom