So, I'm in need of a muffler....what are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It appears that my cats have broken apart and or the muffler. You think these bosal pieces will mate up with the muffler and or tail pipe portion of my oem system?

yes they will . I bolted on a Bosal mid pipe with muffler to my stock OEM cats and tail pipe . I later replaced my stock cats with aftermarket units bolted to the Bosal mid pipe with no problems .
So right now Im running aftermarket replacement cats , mid pipe/ muffler to the original 16 year old tail pipe from the factory ,no problems mixing and matching

Wow, you've been busy! I just have 2 questions - 1. was everything shipped "unboxed"? 2. So, is it quieter than stock? Thanks.

Wow, you've been busy! I just have 2 questions - 1. was everything shipped "unboxed"? 2. So, is it quieter than stock? Thanks.

1) Yes, all pipes were unboxed and covered with plastic and stickers :bang:

The second cat and gaskets were boxed :cool:

2) I'd say it's about equal with stock :hmm:

It's been a while since my original exhaust was quiet, so it's definitely a change, but I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's quieter than OEM :meh:

I needed a new muffler about a month back. Since I needed to find something cheap and quiet, I hit up a friend of the family. 4 hours and $200 later I have a cat-back Magnaflow exhaust. Its not bad at all, and the only time I hear a drone is when I'm accelerating, the moment I level out, its quieter than the stock one used to be.

Now I will admit that if i decide to punch it from a dead stop it sounds kind of like a sports coupe, but it was cheap AND I now get a steady 13 mpg local (not great but a lot better than the 9 or 10 I was getting).

Hey,

Do you feel any improvement in power? Also can you hear that whistling sound when accelerating? Thanks.

Anyone ever install this thing on an 80 with a 4x4labs rear bumper ?

From the looks of the one pic it looks like it would with a different type of exhaust hanger.

Nope, power feels exactly the same :meh:

The whistling sound is there, but not as much as the OEM unit :hmm:

I only hear it in the upper RPM range (I kinda miss it)

What do you think is making that whistling sound is it OEM Muffler or the sound resonator? I am in the process of ordering my entire system and I am stock in between BOSAL Muffler/Tail pipe or OEM Muffler Tail pipe there is only like $80 difference in price and as I said want to keep that whistling noise not sure why but I got use to it over the years. I used to have 84 Cressida with I-6 5M engine and it sounded almost alike. Anyhow, thanks for the info Snake Eater and good job on the Exhaust system.:cheers:

I just bought the bosal from rockauto. It sounds very nice (quiet!), although it has been noisy for awhile. The shop had no problems installing it. I am pleased with it so far.

Great info here guys. I am going to be ordering from the cats back soon from RockAuto. Completely trashed mine this past weekend. But it already had issues and at 198K it was probably time to replace it anyway. The bad thing is that I think some of my factory hanger parts have been long gone. We;ll see what can be done on the cheap I guess.

What do you think is making that whistling sound is it OEM Muffler or the sound resonator?

I'm pretty sure the whistling comes from the stock muffler, not the resonator :hmm:

ardentyota hacked off his resonator when he added Hefty wings and I've been told that it still whistles :eek:

bumper3.JPG

That being said, my S/C Previa w/stock exhaust whistled as well :cool:

FFD to ~1:20

FFD to ~0:22

I can only imagine the look on peoples faces when they hear that kind of a horn sound from fast approaching Toyota Previa...LOL...KILLER VAN!!!!!

When I replaced my failed OEM muffler portion with the bostal replacement the whistle completely went away. It also sounds a bit deeper.

Got my cat back Bosal stuff from Rock Auto today the 4th of Oct. Looks okay as it sits in the back of the Cruiser. We'll see what happens when it's install time. I may have broken, lost, replaced some of the OE hangar parts a while back, and I also may have bent the front 1/2 of the exhaust. We'll see how this goes. I'll report back when I get off my lazy butt and "Do Work".

Little update....

When I originally shot the tailpipe black, I scuffed it lightly and didn't use any primer, so here we are about 10 months later and there's a ton of surface rust on the tailpipe alone, but the rest of the system is just fine :doh:

Since I plan on installing my rear winch mount later this week, I figured it would be a good time to pull the tailpipe and redo it :meh:

Started by hacking off that stupid limp tip :eek:

fzjtailpype2.JPG

Surprisingly, there's no baffling in the resonator, it's just a hollow pipe :confused:

fzjtailpype3.JPG

fzjtailpype4.JPG

Chopped a leftover 3" elbow, slipped it on and welded it up...

fzjtailpype.JPG

fzjtailpype5.JPG

fzjtailpype6.JPG

Mixed up some etching primer and gave it a few coats...

fzjtailpype7.JPG

fzjtailpype8.JPG

Sprayed it with high heat semi-gloss (all I had on the shelf) and let it bake for an hour.

fzjtailpype9.JPG

fzjtailpype10.JPG

And here it is installed....

fzjtailpype11.JPG

fzjtailpype12.JPG

fzjtailpype13.JPG

fzjtailpype14.JPG

fzjtailpype15.JPG

After install of my Bosal cat back stuff, it definitely quietened things down, but all my OE gaskets were basically not even there anymore. Prior to putting the lift on the rig, I went to Calico for a wheeling trip. Yep I dragged the crossover pipe, and must have set the rig on the muffler too. So, my muffler is bent, but not cracked or leaking. I need to figure out some kind of skid plate for the crossover, or just have a new over the frame section made. Since I scraped and bent the new exhaust I have added a lift and 4x4Labs rear bumper. Hopefully that keeps things out of the rocks. I had to cut the resonator out for the rear bumper as well, but plan on splicing it back in the system sooner or later. It will dump out in the "notch" behind the rear panhard bracket where the frame starts to turn back down. It should be pretty well protected there. All in all I wish I would have waited until after the lift to do the exhaust.

Still have the oem muffler or did you toss it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom