So, I'm in need of a muffler....what are my options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just ordered a complete Bosal exhaust a few minutes ago :cool:

completebosalexhaust.jpg

I'm considering this, post up if you wouldnt mind and let me know how this sounds and if it would pass inspection in NY. Do they have one for a 93-94?

does anybody have a bolt-on Bosal system with a sub tank?

My exhaust is hanging on largely cause it is resting on a Metelteck slider, but I have been waiting to fix it right till I get the sub tank installed.

Would be nice to know if the Bosal system will be an option, or if I am looking at a custom exhaust

Which vendor did you use? Parts geek? I'm in the same boat. There's more weld on my exhaust than original metal.

Thanks,
Ben

does anybody have a bolt-on Bosal system with a sub tank?

My exhaust is hanging on largely cause it is resting on a Metelteck slider, but I have been waiting to fix it right till I get the sub tank installed.

Would be nice to know if the Bosal system will be an option, or if I am looking at a custom exhaust

Good question...though the Bosal is supposed to be 100% OEM specs for the bends, etc. so it "should" work. Perhaps 98 Snake Eater can take a few pictures of the factory one he is removing side-by-side with the new Bosal (hint hint) ;). If they are indeed identical, then it should not be a problem to fit with the standard Toyota 50 Litre Subtank.

:cheers:

Steve

DOH!!

I knew I forgot sumthin :doh:

Is it the same part number for all 3 mounts?

yeah I'm pretty sure all 3 are the same I know the the front and the middle were

Heres some pixs of when I put mine on awhile ago , sorry there not the best

The one mount you see I had to do a little work on as the hanger bar got in the way with mounting the rubber mount .
I put this on when I still had the OEM cats and tail pipe , I still have the tail pipe but replaced both cats since then
DSCF1345.jpg
DSCF1346.jpg
DSCF1347.jpg

Last edited:
Subscribed. Show us pics after installation and I'm sure you'll give us details. Thank you.

OK, most of the parts arrived earlier today....

I'm hoping I won't need to install new studs, but ordered a set to keep on hand just in case :eek:

bosalexhaustpartsfzj2.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj3.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj4.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj5.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj6.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj7.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj8.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj9.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj11.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj12.JPG

bosalexhaustpartsfzj13.JPG

Still waiting on the Y-Pipe which will arrive tomorrow :meh:

Also found a couple of issues :hmm:

One of the mounting flanges on the muffler is bent as if it were dropped (easy fix it with a BFH)

bosalexhaustpartsfzj10.JPG

And the flange for the tailpipe had broken off completely :confused:

bosalexhaustpartsfzj.JPG

Not a big deal since it will take me less than a minute to weld up a new flange, but I figured I'd post up anyways....

OK, a little update....

The y-pipe/cat showed up earlier today...

bozalinstallpix.JPG

bozalinstallpix2.JPG

bozalinstallpix3.JPG

bozalinstallpix4.JPG

Overall, the system is smaller....

Cats are smaller, muffler is slightly smaller and the tailpipe resonator is smaller as well....

They sure like to put a ton of stickers on these damn things...

I tried peeling off as much as I could (especially the plastic), but it was like 101 degrees today and I was lazy...

I know it's gunna stink like hell when it heats up :bang:

After I unwrapped the muffler, I noticed it had a bunch of little dents and a little sticker that said "undamaged" :rolleyes:

Not a big deal since they won't hamper performance, but I'm sure some of you may be more picky about these things than me....

Anyhoo, I didn't waste any time with the rusty bolts and just hacked away at the old system with a sawzall...

Unfortunately, two of the studs on the manifold gave me quite a headache...

I heated each one with a torch before zipping them off, but one had damaged threads and another snapped off completely...

bozalinstallpix5.JPG

I tried using a stud socket on the one with damaged threads and ended up snapping it flush...

Luckily, it wasn't one of the hidden ones and i was able to drill it from the bottom and remove it with an extractor bit.....

As for the other one, I used this stud removal tool and it twisted out with ease....

kdstudremovaltool.jpg

Now, whoever welded the brackets made the beads a little too big and my new rubber mounts wouldn't fit without either reaming the holes or grinding the edge off of the mounts....

I chose to grind the mounts....

bozalinstallpix6.JPG

bozalinstallpix7.JPG

bozalinstallpix8.JPG

As for the missing mount on the tailpipe, I just welded up a piece of angle iron after sizing things up...

bozalinstallpix9.JPG

bozalinstallpix10.JPG

bozalinstallpix11.JPG

bozalinstallpix12.JPG

bozalinstallpix13.JPG

bozalinstallpix14.JPG

Didn't like the look of the raw steel tailpipe, so I shot it black....

bozalinstallpix15.JPG

bozalinstallpix16.JPG

bozalinstallpix17.JPG

Waiting for it to dry before installing it, but everything else is in...

More pix in about an hour or so.....

OK, some shots installed.....

bozalinstallcomplete.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete2.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete3.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete4.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete5.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete6.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete7.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete8.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete9.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete10.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete11.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete12.JPG

bozalinstallcomplete13.JPG

Unfortunately, I ran into a little snag :doh:

See this thread

When I tried to start her up, she cranked, but wouldn't start :confused:

EFI fuse was blown and would keep blowing as soon as the ignition is turned....

After some digging, I found that the rear O2 sensor was shorted :meh:

Probably happened when I was removing it from the old exhaust cause I used an air hammer to chisel the rusted studs off :whoops:

Anyhoo, I'm about to drive home with the rear O2 disconnected, but so far, she sounds very quiet with no rattles or vibes :)

Hopefully my dealer with have an O2 in stock tomorrow :meh:

It appears that my cats have broken apart and or the muffler. You think these bosal pieces will mate up with the muffler and or tail pipe portion of my oem system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom