Snorkel install help...from the Cruiser Minds (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The snorkel was installed by the local trusted garage. He didn't want to install the upper bracket due to concerns about water leaking into the cabin or window frame. What solutions can you guys offer? Was the snorkel installed too far forward from the window? I was thinking of gluing in a plastic spacer to support the bracket. (Not the best idea but I can't weld and am short on solutions) At higher speeds the snorkel will vibrate, as you can imagine. See pictures below.

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2923.JPG

IMG_2922.JPG

IMG_2921.JPG

I used nutzerts and used gasket material inside and out after I painted the steel. Of course here in AZ rust is not a huge concern...

you could space that out fairly easily using some spacers found at the hardware store. It should not look too bad once done. you will have to drill into that area though to install spacers with a longer bolt.

'local trusted' must have a different meaning there.

I would get a block of some black plastic to space that off. I invested in a nutsert kit when it came time to install mine. Has been used for other stuff since.

Looks more like he didn't want to install that upper bracket because he installed the snorkel a little too far forward...

first and fourth pictures show correct orientation of bracket but the 3rd pic has it positioned backwards.

Id drill the bracket if necessary and fab up some sort of spacer. Also the nutserts may not last too long if there is constant tension on them.

Was this a china knockoff? did it come with or did he use the template provided? Definately looks to be installed too far forward. How is the alignment at airbox hose?

Thousands of snorkles out there installed properly with no concerns of leaking into the cab. DO be careful if using longer hardware or nutserts as there is a sunroof drain tube inside that pillar but done correctly not a concern. Both myself and concretejungle removed ours for new windshield installs and both seemed to have shrunk over the years making realignment a bear. mine had tension on the bracket and wore through the rubber nutserts i used in short order. I replaced them with rivnuts installed with rivet gun and have been problem free. the black plastic spacer seems like your best bet from here and then modify the holes on bracket if needed for proper alignment

Much appreciated- It's amazes me how much experience has built up this site. Good to know theres a sunroof drain in there! I think the spacer idea would work best. The template was way off according to the mechanic- but I had mentioned that after reading about it on MUD. The adapter to the OEM circular air filter looks well lined up.

Looks more like he didn't want to install that upper bracket because he installed the snorkel a little too far forward...

Thought this too. Even my Chinese dorkle sits way closer.

? Did the "local trusted" even hook up the rubber hose to the air cleaner?
As others have stated, I would space it with black plastic.
Or... could the snorkel be moved backwards by enlarging the hole (backwards) without the original hole being seen? Seems like there is some wiggle room there.

Id take it off and see if you can elongate the holes. There's tons of room to move snorkel around. The snorkel itself will hide a lot if u have to move from holes the mechanic made.

I agree with @97 greenmonster. The snorkle mounts with some redicioulsy big holes and huge fender washers. Opening up the holes or grinding them to an oval shape should get that thing sitting further back. I am actually puzzled how they could be that far off on their install!

Lesson for all of us, never take your cruiser to Ray Charles Custom Cruisers. ;)

When I installed my knockoff snorkel, the placement of that bracket and the connection to the filter intake was equally important. I had to negotiate a happy medium between the two. Once the postition was established that bracket sat tight to the pillar. I did have to trim a large portion of the bracket - the side that connects to the pillar. I just trimed and drilled three holes.
Regarding water proofing; I applied silicon in and around the holes, inserted rivets, and caulked the bracket itself. Came out solid and water tight.
It your situation, I'd be willing to modify the holes to allow it slide back and flush with the pillar.
Good luck.

Wow.....Got a pic of the port to the air cleaner..? Just wondering if the rubber boot is attached with the snorkel that far forward. This is a half banana install even with the fubar Chinese template.

Somebody ows you a new fender, that's way off. I understand if the template was off like on my dorkel, but they should have test fitted it after they drilled the large hole before drilling any mounting holes. It would have been pretty easy for them to adjust elongate the large hole without anyone knowing.

Yeah that's sitting too far out. I'd have someone fix it and send them the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom