ski boats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im looking for a used ski boat. wondering what brands people have had good experiences with.

Does anyone know of a forum like mud for ski boats?

Thanks in advance.

How much are you looking to spend? Are you only going to use it for skiing?

Going to use it for skiing and wakeboarding, looking in the 10-15 range. it will be used in a lake in vermont

We love Mastercrafts here in Tennessee, but they're made here, so we're probably a little biased. Very $$ though. Nautiques and Malibus are also very nice, but also $$.

For a more reasonably priced ride, I understand that Centurion has come a long way in the last few years. They went to a no-wood construction a few years ago and their quality has improved over their older stuff.

goto wakeworld.com. That is the place to research boats- especially wakeboard boats.

bwbski26 said:
Going to use it for skiing and wakeboarding, looking in the 10-15 range. it will be used in a lake in vermont

You should look at an older tournament class ski boat, like a Mastercraft or a Ski Nautique. They are simple inboard direct drive boats with big engines. Some of the newer wakeboard specific boats by these Manufacturers have V drives but the aren't much good for skiing behind and they are more expensive.

Malibu's are also nice. If you're buying used, it's worth buying a boat with a good long term reputation for quality.

10-15' is going to limit your choices - I'd look at Sugar Sand (Yooper seems to like his) and SeaDoo.

If you're going to spend the big bucks, and get into the 20'+ range, Tige is good for wakeboarding and skiing - you've got two different wakes needed, and with the Tiges, you can flip a switch to change it - they have this "tail" that drags in the water that changes the wake - pretty simple setup. I think Mastercraft and most of the others use a balast system, where they take on water to rough-up the wake.

i ment im looking to spend like 10-15 grand

if you are looking for a true ski boat your gonna get an older one, looking for just a cruizin boat you can get them a dime a dozen

i love malibu for ski/wakeboard
cobalt for cruizin

I just bought an 18' Wellcraft which isn't a "ski boat" per se, but is certainly working well to pull my boys on the wakeboard. It's a 1985 with a 180hp motor, inboard/outdrive, and I only had to drop $4000 on it.

From what I can tell, it depends on your level of expertise. I don't think many amateur skiers will notice the difference except where pulling power is concerned.

My $.02

All of the above boats are good choices. Watch ebay motors as it isn't too expensive to ship a boat. I would also recomend watching for the "epic" produced by Toyota--this is a hell of a boat.

Ive been going ot Pickwick Lake since I was 3 and have been involved with a number of boats. But heres what I think. If you are giong to be wakeboarding/skiing ALOT get a mastercraft, Tige or Malibu. Those are the best wakeboard boats out there. If you arent looking for a pro wakeboard boat go for something like Cobalt or Bayliner. Remember, even a jet ski can pull people easily on a wakeboard/skis or any water sport. You need to see if you are going to be doing some wakeboarding where the wake matters or not. If so, refer to that list above.

Can't speak to the wakeboard, but for skiing the ole Glastron Carlson I had was a hell of a ski boat. Came out of the hole harder than anything else I ever skiied behind. Had a 115 outboard. Wish I had it back....

1997 Malibu Skier

For the money $8,000.00 I think this was the best I could find to fit my needs. You would laugh your ass off watching me bouce tube baits off the bottom for Bass off the front while towing the :flamingo: in a Skido tube............

5.7 Merc

266 Hours

One owner

The bow holds boards, skies, vests, poles and all the rope ine would need. Cooler onder the front pass seat that is self draining.

I replaced all the tires and the bunks and added fuel.
m1.jpg
m2.jpg
m3.jpg

We bought an '05 Malibu Response LXi last year, and closing in on 2 seasons into it, its a friggin nice boat. Amazing for skiing, and not too bad for wake boarding. The wake is pretty much designed for skiing as at 30+ mph it's virtually non-exisistant, but with this wake fin thing down at about 17 mph it makes a decent wake for wakeboarding. Could be bigger, but that can be solved with some fat sacks.

It's got the monsoon 340 horse / 390 ft/lbs. Pretty much all ya need for towing. I can see where you might want a little more juice, but unless you're going to regularly be towing multiple people, then you don't need it.

Some of the used malibus are getting into your range; those I would reccomend, mastercrafts are pretty nice too (a bit more plasticy then the malibus and usually a bit more spendy) and natiques arn't too bad, although my experiances with them is that their wakes are usually geared more towards wake boarding, and I'm not a fan of the ford engines... but that's just me. Tige is pretty good too from what I hear, I have no experiance with them. Supra's, Gecko's, Centurions, are kinda second rate boats (not second rate like crap, they're still nice, just a little more economical on resale)

Alot of how the boat is going to end up has to do with how the previous owners have taken care of it. Kinda like a car. If everything is meticulous, they've got all the records for what ever has been done to it, they can tell you EXACTLY how many hours are on it and if it looks beautiful, then its usually going to be a good deal. Also if it is stored in a boat lift, or if they leave it in the water, cover it or un-covered. Sun rot is a real bitch... usually just destroys all vinal. Oh and winterizing it, if it is stored where it freezes durring the winter. Making sure that's properly done is important so nothing gets messed up from ice.

Woah, just cought it, and sorry Capocaccia, but bayliners suck major ass. Avoid them at all cost. Anyone i've ever seen (which has been alot) has been a total pile, an that's not coincidental.

Basically look at inboards and then if ya find something, post it up here and we'll cretique it.

Good luck! :Cheers:

camcruiser13 said:
cobalt for cruizin

That's like saying "I like my S600 for road trips". Cobalts are way expensive, even used, for most people.

AATLAS1X said:
For the money $8,000.00 I think this was the best I could find to fit my needs. You would laugh your ass off watching me bouce tube baits off the bottom for Bass off the front while towing the :flamingo: in a Skido tube............

5.7 Merc

266 Hours

One owner

The bow holds boards, skies, vests, poles and all the rope ine would need. Cooler onder the front pass seat that is self draining.

I replaced all the tires and the bunks and added fuel.

Nice, I like it. That's pretty much exactly what you should be looking for. That'll do everything you'll want.

Mr.Bryan said:
Nice, I like it. That's pretty much exactly what you should be looking for. That'll do everything you'll want.

When I went to see this boat I could not believe my eyes knor understand the service records he had kept. But what he did by advertising at $8k madde people not want to call or look at it. Look at everything you can and educate your self on boats. most leave them outside and I got lucky by getting one that had never see a cloud.

Mastercraft and the other usuals have all been named, so I will throw in DONZI. They dabbled in ski boats on and off but made there name in offshore racing boats like Fountain.

We had a Donzi Center Console a while back and it was a killer boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom