Side Steps (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Need a little help..
I would like to get a bolt on side step ...something that doesn't require removing the original side step. Just lower, in addition to. getting old and need help geting in/out.. Folding would be great...
Any ideas?

Airborne!
A saddle stirrup would be cool! I've seen chains and a bar to step on.
All the Way!
Sounds sweet, but at 70 yrs + I don't need to chase a stirup..LOL. I'm thinking of a solid setup that folds up sorta under the existing side step, just lower....8" or so.
Basic at Ft Bragg and 6 yrs witht he 82nd!

Good on you! You deserve a step!! I've got a local young metal fab guy, let me ask him about it. I don't think there is anything out there readymade.

I've been thinking about the same thing. This type of setup is available. Retractable too.

1621015118708.png

Pretty sure any electric step fitment to an FJ40 will be very custom.

jeeze hope im still driving my 40 at 70yo.

lol.....it's not the cruiser i'm worried about....

I few days ago my neighbor turn 88. He still has a horse and handles all the care for the horse himself including handling bails of hay. Sad you feel by 70 you wouldn't be able to drive your 40 series. Stay active is the best thing you can do.

The hardest cruiser I have to get into is my last FJ25 FST. It has a full roll cage and the early small door opening. Besides hitting my hip on the angle in the back the rocker is higher on this. Lucky the height on any of my cruiser hasn't been a issue yet. I do have a slight OCD problem. That has resulted in me worrying about breaking down outside of the seat cushion on all my vehicles.

How that relates to this is where I would place a step. Currently I use my left foot on the running board using my right arm inside the lip of the hard top. If I needed a step if would be close to back of the door so I could use my right foot first and left foot the front of door opening on the running board. Placement of the added step further forward would make it awkward to do. Problem with that is off road centered between the wheels it's the most likely place to get damaged. How you would fold a step up once inside would be the problem. Just picked up a fifth generation 4Runner. It doesn't have a handle on the windshield A pillar. Have owned a bunch 1989+ Toyota 4X4s. This is only one without the handle and I really miss it. Not sure I have ever seen anyone add a handle on windshield frame but it would come in handy. I sourced a few late 40 series handled for door header for my 79 FJ40. On my 73 FST I have no plans for any handles. We will see how that plays out. Hoping that won't be a problem until my mid eighties. Have to keep a positive attitude.

I built a rock slider/step out of 2x2 tubing for my 45 pickup to replace the running boards. It tapers back like the original running boards, sits BELOW the tub, making it MORE useful as a step than the OE, and actually protects the tub from damage, unlike the nerf bar damage multipliers. A small vertical from a new frame tie in to the original stay mount on the frame helps insure the slider/step and the tub keep their distance.😉

I am sure there are pics of the setup already posted on the forum...somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom