Show us your engine bay! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85 FJ 60, 2FE, H55, 62 axles

FJ 60.JPG

@Spook50

What's the diaphragm on the drivers middle fender? Cruise control?

What's the red box?

And could you give some details on the remote oil filter on the back passenger firewall? Curious of all the different mods.
Yeah the diaphragm is the actuator for the cruise control. I haven't been able to find any documentation on the kit that was used beyond finding out that it was apparently made by Dana. I think it was a dealer install because it was done very clean and for many years I thought it was factory, until I learned it wasn't a factory option on 62s.

The red box is a Mallory HiFyre 6A that I put in maybe ten years ago or so. It's a capacitive discharge system that piggybacks the factory ignition. I still have the stock igniter that feeds signal to it, but now the Mallory box controls the coil (which I also replaced with a Mallory Promaster several years back).

The remote filter is actually a moisture trap for an air system that I use as a PCV catch can. Here's a thread I started when I initially installed it: PCV catch can; homebrew Condensator writeup

Here's mine...

IMG_2423.JPG

Really like the engine bay pics but why are some of you using the radiator hose clamps that you have to screw compared to the original toyota clamps that squeeze? I used to buy the screw type but long term they damage the hoses. Specially on a 60 that throws off a lot of heat.

Stock, desmog...being vigilant about avoiding the fart sniffers

View attachment 1452817

View attachment 1453519
I just got an 83 FJ60. Pretty good shape...upgrading the suspension now and thinking about doing the H55 upgrade. Are you happy with it? Not a cheap upgrade but I took mine on a long trip and man I could of used one more gear. Current tranny works fine but whines a bit and some mystery noises when I shift into gears when rolling with clutch fully depressed. Figure I should just plan to do the upgrade.

so I got an 83 FJ60 recently and it runs ok....when cold is surges when you dont push through a gear...like just shift into 2nd or 3rd and depress lightly. I have read a lot about vacuum leaks and notice you have changed out your vacuum lines. Did you notice a marked improvement in performance after changing them all out?? any advice.

so I got an 83 FJ60 recently and it runs ok....when cold is surges when you dont push through a gear...like just shift into 2nd or 3rd and depress lightly. I have read a lot about vacuum leaks and notice you have changed out your vacuum lines. Did you notice a marked improvement in performance after changing them all out?? any advice.

Mine ran pretty well. It needed a good baseline though.

I recommend baselining everything. Run valves, vacuum lines, fuel filter, check timing, plugs, wires, PCV valve, and new dizzy rotor. Check to make sure the galley plug has been addressed too.

Then go from there.

J

Mine ran pretty well. It needed a good baseline though.

I recommend baselining everything. Run valves, vacuum lines, fuel filter, check timing, plugs, wires, PCV valve, and new dizzy rotor. Check to make sure the galley plug has been addressed too.

Then go from there.

J
I read all about the galley plug and had a hard time finding mine...I guess when they rebuilt the engine they painted it pretty good and you have to run your finger over it to find the depression where it sits...I dont have any history on it, but was thinking about it as I had a freeze plug blow and piss all my oil out in the garage. Luckily caught it in time and that lead me to a discussion about the galley plug. How did you seal yours off?

I read all about the galley plug and had a hard time finding mine...I guess when they rebuilt the engine they painted it pretty good and you have to run your finger over it to find the depression where it sits...I dont have any history on it, but was thinking about it as I had a freeze plug blow and piss all my oil out in the garage. Luckily caught it in time and that lead me to a discussion about the galley plug. How did you seal yours off?

Drill out plug, tap and install socket set screw.

Several threads with pics to guide you.

J

I just got an 83 FJ60. Pretty good shape...upgrading the suspension now and thinking about doing the H55 upgrade. Are you happy with it? N.
I'm very happy with it. It's kind of a game changer for highway driving. I find myself in the left lane a lot now. I liked the H42 1st and 2nd ratios better for in town driving. Off-road the H55 1st And 2nd works out better. 3-5 is spaced very well for the 2F power.

I'm very happy with it. It's kind of a game changer for highway driving. I find myself in the left lane a lot now. I liked the H42 1st and 2nd ratios better for in town driving. Off-road the H55 1st And 2nd works out better. 3-5 is spaced very well for the 2F power.
I will not be doing this myself. Looking at ordering this from a cruiser shop locally
H55F - 5 Speed Transmission - Toyota
I got a quote from a shop that has done this many times and he quoted me $600 which sounded pretty good to me. As I understand it, there is a little more work than just bolting it on. What else you would get done during the changeover.?

Clutch, pilot, throwout, surface flywheel, maybe RMS if it needs it. Rebuild TC, it has to be taken apart to remove a spacer, put in the 5th gear oiler, and longer bolts anyways. Might want to verify with the shop that they know the pre 85 differences. $600 would be a great price for the complete job IMO.

I will not be doing this myself. Looking at ordering this from a cruiser shop locally
H55F - 5 Speed Transmission - Toyota
I got a quote from a shop that has done this many times and he quoted me $600 which sounded pretty good to me. As I understand it, there is a little more work than just bolting it on. What else you would get done during the changeover.?

Give Georg aka @orangefj45 a shout on a new H55F kit. I've ordered a few from him and always spot on. IIRC, a little less as well. You'll need driveshaft and bellhousing work too. Maybe transmission crossmember, I can't remember on this one.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom