Sept 27-29 Windrock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Havin a winchfest on the last loooong hill on Atomic Ridge. Got really slick up at the higher elevation for some reason.

IH8MUD on Android

Havin a winchfest on the last loooong hill on Atomic Ridge. Got really slick up at the higher elevation for some reason.

IH8MUD on Android

I thought A.R. was tomorrow? I really hate that I am missing this trip, but hopefully the progress on the Squirt will be worth it.

I am looking forward to some awesome pictures of the days route.

I don't know where atomic ridge is but I'd be glad to come help you'll any way I can.

Finally!..... Trail 75 is in the bag. Great day in almost every way. Amazing weather, amazing trail, awesome traction with nothing more than minor issues. A fair share of pucker factor to add to the excitement too.

IH8MUD on Android

here's a few pics of the less extreme day.

IMG_20130928_113952_891_zpsdc7bf35c.jpg

hdr_00004_0_zps10bb13b4.jpg

IMG_20130928_140437_739_zpsb046a172.jpg

hdr_00005_0_zps20d2471d.jpg

IMG_20130928_152635_545_zps7cfa7c57.jpg

hdr_00008_0_zpsdf4c9ddc.jpg

IMG_20130928_152414_663_zpsd4f60bc2.jpg

hdr_00006_0_zpsc337edd5.jpg

Last edited:
Finally!..... Trail 75 is in the bag. Great day in almost every way. Amazing weather, amazing trail, awesome traction with nothing more than minor issues. A fair share of pucker factor to add to the excitement too.

IH8MUD on Android

Yup, one of the better rides we've had in a long time!!!! For those that bailed out... boooo! :flipoff2: Danny, Dominick, Great to meet you guys and glad you made the ride.

Walden's Ridge was epic, lived up to the hype and on the very short list of favorites. We will be doing this one again and again.

A couple teasers and rest of pics coming tonight.

Winchfest about 10PM Fri night on Atomic Ridge
20130927_200447_.jpg

20130927_135910.jpg

View from Walden's ridge.
20130928_164902.jpg

20130927_200447_.jpg

20130927_135910.jpg

20130928_164902.jpg

Last edited:
Sucks I had to miss it. Looks like you guys had a good time.

So did you trailer the rigs up to the trails or drive them?

Sent from another Galaxy

Sucks I had to miss it. Looks like you guys had a good time.

So did you trailer the rigs up to the trails or drive them?

Sent from another Galaxy
GREAT time. :cool:

Only trailered up to Walden's Ridge; Worked out well. Taking the big rig was not as easy as all small trailers would've been, but had we had more rigs to take, then it would've been very helpful.

Ginger, of Ginger's Deli and Grocery (really just a gas station with a small kitchen area) was extremely gracious in letting us park there and helpful with getting us to the trailhead quickly too. If you ever go by there in travels to W.R. or any north side trails, please stop in and give her your business. The gas was quite expensive, but for the only gas station for 10 miles either way, and as hospitable as she was for us, it was a small price to pay.

pictars and videos. As usual neither does any justice to the real thing. I'll post a few more when they finish uploading.

https://tedkinseywheelingtrips.shutterfly.com/2392

scouting Walden's ridge before attempting it, wanted to know what our grave would look like

winching down Atomic Ridge late Friday night

Sidney on tr 15 Sunday morning

this spot was deep

alright here they are, Walden's Ridge videos. I'd of posted Steve as well but that video is on his camera so just gonna have to wait for him.

few action shots

20130928_151839-005.jpg

20130928_151839-006.jpg

20130928_151839-007.jpg

20130928_152811-003.jpg

20130928_152811-005.jpg

Ted

Johns Truck

20130928_151839-005.jpg

20130928_151839-006.jpg

20130928_151839-007.jpg

20130928_152811-003.jpg

20130928_152811-005.jpg

I'll get the pics up tonight of what is known as the "wagon group". Great meeting you all super nice bunch of people. Special thanks to Danny and atom for keeping my junk running. And my wing man Henry!! I learned more about off roading in a fj40 form Henry last Saturday than i have in the past year of owning it combined. There's no way I would have done even half the stuff we did if he was not there. Well worth the trip.

Ted- I see you still stale out even with your low low gears :flipoff2:

How steep is it coming down that last rock face? Is it like the rail trail river crossing? Doesnt look like a fun little spot to have to ride the brakes down in a automatic...

Ted- I see you still stale out even with your low low gears :flipoff2:

How steep is it coming down that last rock face? Is it like the rail trail river crossing? Doesn't look like a fun little spot to have to ride the brakes down in a automatic...

Yeah I did stall it, still learning the gears. I was trying to idle up the rock face and it didn't quire make it.

having an auto would be both a bonus and con, you'd be able to ride the brake down but easily power out of a tippy spot if needed. Personally I'd never do that trail in a manual without low gearing because you need the control of the lower speeds.

It's steep and when we walked it I was pretty apprehensive about it but it wasn't as bad feeling as it looks.

It's steep and when we walked it I was pretty apprehensive about it but it wasn't as bad feeling as it looks.

Steeper than the drop in of the river crossing on Rail Trail?

Steeper than the drop in of the river crossing on Rail Trail?

roughly the same steepness but the drop is completely different. With Rail Trail there are so many rocks that even if you could power through a flop there's no where to go. That and the rocks are constantly slick and damp because it's near/in the creek bed and the tree canopy prevents them from completely drying out.

With WR the drop is literally on top of the mountain so it gets constant exposure to the sun therefore it's perfectly dry. Traction across the ridge line was awesome so you never spin a tire or slide the truck up or down a rock at all. This allows you to perfectly control your rig and the truck will go where you point it, assuming you've followed your spotter to the T you should be fine.

Now, If you opt to ignore your spotter and do what you feel is right then you're gonna have a bad day because the margins are smaller than we're used to.

Last edited:
that drop on Walden's Ridge looks damn ballzy to me.

How steep is it coming down that last rock face? Is it like the rail trail river crossing? Doesnt look like a fun little spot to have to ride the brakes down in a automatic...
Long(er) wheelbase rigs don't have much of an issue with that face as long as you have a good spotter and follow them 100%. Although I bet the Franken80 wouldn't have felt too good since the weight is all up front on it; nothing to hold the back end down. Your width would've been a significant issue in a few places too. Without some form of hydro, you woulda been really working.

This is exactly what I've been saying all along - I'm glad I now have others to back me up on it. :)

Although I bet the Franken80 wouldn't have felt too good since the weight is all up front on it; nothing to hold the back end down.

From the videos Ted posted, that is all I could imagine my 80 doing was to have the rear end pop up cause nothing would be holding it down.

Did Sid and Adam not do Walden's Ridge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom