Seat Heater Switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Subscribe.
I have the switches from Mot and the leather and heat from AATLAS1X.
I have been postponing installation because I wanted the original seat covers to be completely torn, which they are now.

So this thread is great.

Adam, in the picture of the plugs under the center console, where are the gears? I am trying to get oriented

The top right corner of that photo points towards the front of the truck. The black thing on the left is the e-brake boot.

Here's a quick how to on wiring your heated seats using the factory wiring in the truck and the JDM heated seat switches. I originally made my own harness with relays and such, but this is a much cleaner and simpler install. Thanks to CycloSteve for sharing his wiring layout with me, saving me from hours of "quality time" with my multimeter! :cheers:

Under the centre console of my 96 LC (and most others I presume) are these plugs:
IMG_3279.JPG

(I bought new carpet from gotmud this summer, so it looks a lot nicer in there now!)

Left seat heater switch plug
IMG_3278.JPG

Right seat heater switch plug
IMG_3276.JPG

These are the JDM seat heater switches (photo courtesy of mot). Note that the connectors here are a perfect match to the connectors under the centre console, almost like Toyota knew what they were doing ;)
attachment.php

If you haven't ordered a set of heated seat elements yet there are a couple good sources listed on the board. AATLAS1X is a vendor here and sells them here. There was also a group buy a few years back, and last I heard they were still honoring the discount price. TomH did a great writeup on installing the elements here. I have a set from the group buy and IIRC CycloSteve's are from Shane (AATLAS1X), but the wiring on the kits is exactly the same from what I could tell. I wired mine the same way Steve did his, and neither of us has caught fire yet :D

I don't have any photos of this part, but if you take a look at the truck side of the electrical harness under your power seats you will see two pins that don't have corresponding wires on the seat side of the harness. These are the HI and LO power wires for the heated seats that come from the switches. Steve has explained which wires do what, but I second his advice to double check it with a multimeter first in case Mr. T changed wire colours at some point.

Following more of Steve's advice, I wired the yellow wire from the heated seat element control box to the 12V LO signal; the black wire from the control box to 12V HI signal; and the red wire goes from the control box to the ground on the power seat harness. I used some OEM wire splices I had kicking around to get the HI and LO signals from the seat connector to the heater element control box, and cut/spliced the ground wire into the ground for the power seats. This way you can still disconnect the plug and remove the seats without redoing any wiring.

The last thing I did was switch out the JDM switch body for the oak ones from a 92-96 ES300. The plugs on the back of the switch body are exactly the same, and I compared the wiring diagrams just to be safe.
attachment.php

I like the look of the oak switches in the oak interior. There might be a grey option out there too for those of you with the drab elephant skin interior ;)
IMG_0029.JPG

A couple other threads with some good info:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/244742-looking-group-buy-heated-seats-last-year.html
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/254870-heated-seats-way-question-switch.html

Hope that helps!

This info is gold! Thank you for putting this together!

Possibly, but it would be a different plug under the seats. See the attached wiring diagram from an overseas FSM.

Attachments

• Seat heater electrical diagram.pdf
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,346
Great info in this thread! Does anyone know if the cloth/manual seat LCs have the wiring present for seat heaters as well?

Pretty sure my 93 with cloth/manual seats had those plugs under the console (or something very similar to it) when I've been in there.

Would only take 10 minutes to check yours though. ;)

"(As an aside, the new seat heaters Shane gave me have a new inverter(?) or something that makes wiring an additional bit of fun. Anyone with info on this please chime in.)"

Just finished up the same project with leather and heaters from Shane (top shelf quality and service, by the way). Seems like the new heaters (made by roadwire) have an extra wire that some other kits did not, that makes it a little more complicated intigrating it with the factory switches.

Connections from the kit to the truck for me were as follows:
-Red to ignition power (I soldered in upstream of the power to the switch under the center console)
-Black to ground (just used some ring connectors and connected to ground point under the console)
-Blue to the hi signal coming from the switch (connector under the seat-blue/orange trace)
-Yellow to lo signal coming from the switch (connector under the seat-blue/black trace)

Also had to put a diode in the lo signal wire on the pigtail for the switch. If this is not done, the hi setting will not work, as the original design of the switch grounds back thru the lo side of the switch when set to hi. This can be seen inf the link posted by 96r50 with the wiring diagram for the switches.

Hope that made some sense, just got off night shift, and probably could have explained it a little better if I was a little more with it.

Doug

Thanks ! I was looking for this info. I just got the kit and will be doing this soon

Guys... I sourced the switches from eBay and the are for the LS300. However the plug in the back does not match my connector

Upon further inspection, it looks like there is connector extension that goes from the switch to the vehicle connector.

Is that correct ? is, where can I get the connector extension ?

Thanks !

Guys... I sourced the switches from eBay and the are for the LS300. However the plug in the back does not match my connector

Upon further inspection, it looks like there is connector extension that goes from the switch to the vehicle connector.

Is that correct ? is, where can I get the connector extension ?

Thanks !

I used switches from an ES300. Is that what you have?

You still need the pigtails from the JDM switches to mate the ES300 switches to the plugs under the centre console or you can make your own.

yeah, I meant ES300 :)

Thanks for the confirmation 96r50 !

I used switches from an ES300. Is that what you have?

You still need the pigtails from the JDM switches to mate the ES300 switches to the plugs under the centre console or you can make your own.

Anyone have part numbers? Or does Mot know what these are? Can Cdan get these?

Anyone have part numbers? Or does Mot know what these are? Can Cdan get these?

Yes at home, yes but he is state-side now, I don't think so.

Note that the pigtails are not available separately from the switch. I now have an unused pair of JDM switches with no pigtails, although I do have the right connectors for the switch side if anyone is interested...

I got my JDM switches from Dave Stedman at Japan4x4. He was great to deal with. Email him: stedman@japan4x4.com

96r50 you rule.

My next question will be about making pigtails. I have the JDM switches from MOT; cant remember if it came with pigtails or not... will check tonight.

Thanks again for this info; exactly what I was looking for. [subscribed!]

I need to make my pigtail and I think I already figured out the pinout. See attachment

EDIT: got the part numbers from American Toyota. This will be for the connector to the vehicle wiring.

Male Housing for Left Side: 90980-10798
Pins : 82998-12240 (you'll need at least 6 of these)

Male Housing for the Right Side: 90980-10796
Pins : 82998-12330 (you'll need 6 of these)

Attachments

• Pigtail pinout.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
96r50 you rule.

My next question will be about making pigtails. I have the JDM switches from MOT; cant remember if it came with pigtails or not... will check tonight.

Thanks again for this info; exactly what I was looking for. [subscribed!]

I'm glad the info was helpful. But CycloSteve deserves more of the credit, as he was the one who figured this out (or at least told me how to do it).

The switches should have the pigtails already installed, as that is how Toyota sells them.

I need to make my pigtail and I think I already figured out the pinout. See attachment

EDIT: got the part numbers from American Toyota. This will be for the connector to the vehicle wiring.

Male Housing for Left Side: 90980-10798
Pins : 82998-12240 (you'll need at least 6 of these)

Male Housing for the Right Side: 90980-10796
Pins : 82998-12330 (you'll need 6 of these)

I can check my notes tonight, but you need 12 of the same pins. The plastic connector bodies are different (to distinguish left from right) but the wire splices are identical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom