Seat Heater Switches (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The more I read about connecting the oem switches, the more I get confused. Seems like a couple people have wired them differently.

I've had my heaters for a couple years and have yet to be able to figure out how to wire them properly. I took the liberty of diagramming how I propose to wire these. Can someone take a look at this diagram and tell me if this is correct or what I need to do to fix it?

Doug, I see what you mean about the diode because the oem switch works differently than the supplied switch. Can you give me more details on the diode as I'm kind of a electric noob?

Scott

5115211234_016d7c4224_b.jpg

Supercarrera, you are Right in the sense that people have wired these up differently.

1) Some folks used the kit wiring, and changed out the switch to the OEM one

2) Some are using the factory wiring

Also, take into account that I have seen two different wiring kits. One has the control module like yours, and other there is no control module but a relay (like mine).

It sounds like your are trying to do #1

In number 2 you just plug the OEM switch to the factory wiring, and you only mess with the cables under the seat

I know this does not answer your question, but hopefully clarifies things a little.

Thanks for the response hz. I'm actually going to use the factory wiring. I'll be connecting the kit wiring to the oem switch via the wiring that goes from the seat to the connector.

Scott

Scott,

I am also in the South Bay (work in Los Gatos), so if you want to take a look at my wiring I can bring my rig into work after the 1st of November when I return from overseas. Sometimes a look helps to sort out the details. Mine is wired as #2.

:cheers: from France at the moment.

Steve

P.S. Also heading down to SNT later that week.

Sounds good Cyclo. I'll contact you next week. I'm thinking about going to SNT but will probably end up missing it this year.

The more I read about connecting the oem switches, the more I get confused. Seems like a couple people have wired them differently.

I've had my heaters for a couple years and have yet to be able to figure out how to wire them properly. I took the liberty of diagramming how I propose to wire these. Can someone take a look at this diagram and tell me if this is correct or what I need to do to fix it?

Doug, I see what you mean about the diode because the oem switch works differently than the supplied switch. Can you give me more details on the diode as I'm kind of a electric noob?

Scott

5115211234_016d7c4224_b.jpg

Scott,
Sent you a PM with a little more detail on how I wired things. Basically red and black are only connected once. Red to ignition power on the rear heater circuit and black to ground. Terminate red and black where it T's off to the kit supplied switch.
Numbers on diode: 6A05 0610 (made by nexxtech, part number 2761661) Good for 6A continuous 400A surge.

Regards,
Doug

Doug thanks for the information. It's really helpful. Your directions are very clear and I'll give it a try. I just have another question. Here's a pic of the oem switch:

5123271723_36d71ec6d1_o.jpg

This may be a dumb question but do you have the blue/white wire from the oem switch connected to the vehicle's 12vdc source then? And the white/black connected to a ground?

Thanks!

Scott

white/black stripe is ground. blue/ white stripe you will have to source with a ohm meter.

Doug thanks for the information. It's really helpful. Your directions are very clear and I'll give it a try. I just have another question. Here's a pic of the oem switch:

5123271723_36d71ec6d1_o.jpg

This may be a dumb question but do you have the blue/white wire from the oem switch connected to the vehicle's 12vdc source then? And the white/black connected to a ground?

Thanks!

Scott
Scott,

I used the factory harness to plug the switch into, just tapped into the power going to the switch for the seat heater (can't remember the color). I also used the factory connector under the seat for the hi/lo signals.

Regards
Doug

Cool! Thanks! That makes sense to me. As far as orienting the diode, I assume the white band on it goes away from the switch?

They all switch up to the black switches now unfortunately.

seats

Thanks Doug. When I get to it may have to ask more questions.
I have to look at the heating system I got from Shane.

Geez, where ya been? I never see your 80 riding around town.
Please let me know when your starting this project.
I have front seat heaters and will be getting new leather for them asap.

I've assembled my own harness and connector assemblies from parts pulled from Toyotas at the junkyard. You don't need to find a LC, most Toyotas use the same connectors -- just need to hunt around until you find the right ones. Look behind the dash and left kick panel areas.

Don't understand are you trying to hook them up to your new heated seat inserts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom