Scangauge vs. blue driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

For Android it is permissions around Bluetooth and your gps. See attached.

Screenshot_20220428-181102_Torque.jpg

Wound up choosing the blue driver plug in for the OBD-2 port. I already keep an iPhone 8 in the car with 8K songs on it, which will be what I use to display the selected data. The old iPhone does not have a SIM card anymore, so will only be able to do updates when connected to Wi-Fi. Should work fine, but also have an old iPad that I use for Avenza maps that could also function as a monitor for the blue driver. The ability to program the blue driver app to set warnings for temps made it appealing for my high mileage 80. Appreciate everyone’s input in making a decision.

Does anyone know what information the Torque Pro app collects from your phone ie: silently in the background?? Phone Mac address, IMEI, or MEID number (your phone's fingerprint), motion history, GPS location, call data, access to your address book, or??

Screenshot_20220428-192314.png

Never used my blue driver for monitoring real time info but it's helped me diagnose and fix a few projects and family members daily drivers over the last few years never had any problems with the scanner or the app itself on iOS.

So if you give these apps all the permissions can they track your movements and possibly download data from your SD card (or delete data()?

It says ACCESS FILES AND SO FORTH, whatever that means)??

Will the main functions (temp, rpm, OBD2 codes, O2 sensor data) still work if you don't give the app all those permissions?

Well the app is on the file system and it will need to have graphics etc on the file system and pull from the file system to render the GUI of the app so i needs that access to function. The gps access isn't needed but it won't do mpg calculations without it nor with the speedo work in it.

I think the concern you have is not what the app can access but what does the app have the ability to communicate out and if it gives the app maintainer access to your phone via the app.

There are some controls in place for the app stores to scan for apps having backdoor access etc but those aren't perfect. You should be just as concerned with all of the other apps you might have installed. For example for convenience the craigslist app knows a lot about your phone so that you can click and call or click and email, text etc.... Which means it also needs to know phone state and it can use GPS to help you search nearby...

You should be concerned about what Google and apple track on the phones alone if you are really worried about it. Not saying you should or shouldn't be. I don't know your circumstances.

I have both the Scangauge and the UltraGauge Blue which was an early version bluetooth ODBII connector and an Android app. The problem I have had with the UltraGauge Blue is that it won't read water temps higher than 215*F. ScanGauge doesn't have that issue on the same vehicle. I think this product is deprecated though so not really a concern for a new purchase.

So if you give these apps all the permissions can they track your movements and possibly download data from your SD card (or delete data()?

It says ACCESS FILES AND SO FORTH, whatever that means)??

Will the main functions (temp, rpm, OBD2 codes, O2 sensor data) still work if you don't give the app all those permissions?
Dunno, don't care. Running ScanGauge. :)

Anyone make a steering column mount for ScanGauge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom