Scangauge vs. blue driver (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 80 has 293k on the original head gasket and I have been told to watch the engine temps for a sign of things going south. Since I have an old iPhone onboard for tunes, is the blue driver and Bluetooth dongle a better way to monitor operating data than a Scangauge? My truck is a later 1995, so I think has full OBD-II connection. Seems like scangauge is more of a hassle to mount and monitor?

thanks,

todd

Yes your 95' is OBD-II. With using your Blue Driver or Scangauge is shooters preference. As long as whatever device you use gives you the information your looking for.

I'm old I'm my mind, so I only use my phone for phone things. I have a Scangauge and haven't had a problem with mounting.

20220413_181640.jpg

I've been running a cheap bluetooth sender and the "Torque" app on my phone for years and personally prefer it to something like the scangauge mostly because it's less clutter but it's also easy for viewing/clearing error codes, etc.

I use my phone for navigation so it's on a mount and visible all of the time. If/when I'm interested in monitoring temps/etc. I can pull up torque and run it on that same phone. This is typically only done during Summer months when towing the camper or when I'm tuning/playing with things. I'll pull up the torque real time display and run it behind a reduced size nav window so that I can see both temps and nav at the same time. Most of the time though torque is off and temps aren't a concern.

If you are worried about temps get a gauge to guide you and then clean/update your cooling system as needed. Once any major issues like clogs or leaks are resolved making sure your fan clutch is tuned is where you should focus, in my experience.

You can go with wired in like a scanguage with something like this: OBDII Speedometer KMH MPH Head Up Display Battery Voltage Engine Charging Voltages Temperature Overspeed Alarm OBD2 Scanner for 12V Petrol Diesel Vehicles Amazon product ASIN B07P37WY1R
That is what I use and have some alarms programmed in to it so it makes noise if i am not watching it and it gets too hot etc.

I've been running a cheap bluetooth sender and the "Torque" app on my phone for years and personally prefer it to something like the scangauge mostly because it's less clutter but it's also easy for viewing/clearing error codes, etc.

I use my phone for navigation so it's on a mount and visible all of the time. If/when I'm interested in monitoring temps/etc. I can pull up torque and run it on that same phone. This is typically only done during Summer months when towing the camper or when I'm tuning/playing with things. I'll pull up the torque real time display and run it behind a reduced size nav window so that I can see both temps and nav at the same time. Most of the time though torque is off and temps aren't a concern.

If you are worried about temps get a gauge to guide you and then clean/update your cooling system as needed. Once any major issues like clogs or leaks are resolved making sure your fan clutch is tuned is where you should focus, in my experience.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I have an old iPhone with 8,000 songs that I Bluetooth to the stereo and it would make a great monitor. I like the idea of less clutter, so it might be a better option for me than a scangauge. Probably larger text too.

Scanguage....set it, forget it. Monitoring temps super easy, clearing codes super easy, getting accurate mph super easy. I don't get the clutter argument at all. Either way you are adding another device in the cab wether it's a Scanguage or phone. Mine is setup just like @White Sheep above.

similar to the Scangauge, I have an Ultra Gauge on top of the steering column using an Outsane 3d printed mount. Unlike a phone, I don't have to worry about turning it on, batteries charged, or having the gauges up and monitoring. It's always monitoring coolant temp, MPG, speedo correction, etc. Where I mounted it, it obscures the O/D off and PWR indicators, and CRUISE slightly, but who cares? Coolant temp and an accurate MPH is more important to me and why I moved it there vs down on the shift console or A-pillar.

but to each their own

Got a Scangauge mounted in the same spot as everyone above. I’m constantly looking at the water temp because both my 80’s have their original HG’s too.

This is where mine went. Good spot for it for me.

20220427_120432.jpg

Scangauge mounted on the steering column.
Phone mounted on center console connected to stereo for Android Auto (navigation, texts, calls, etc)

I would much rather have everything in front of me at all times rather than have to check my phone, have to set it up and rely on it every time I'm in the car making sure to have it with me. That and I try to be on my phone as little as possible.....I hate that thing.

Torque pro is much better than a scangauge, and cheaper. You can get a good obd2 dongle for $15 on Amazon and I think the app is around $30.

The Torque Pro app is $4.95

I would much rather have everything in front of me at all times rather than have to check my phone, have to set it up and rely on it every time I'm in the car making sure to have it with me. That and I try to be on my phone as little as possible.....I hate that thing.
Torque Pro has so much more information that can be displayed on a single screen in a more readable format that a Scangauge

Makes sense but it's pretty simple. Soon as the car starts everything automatically connects. Phone sits in the dash mount displaying oodles of data.

If your looking 100% standalone scangauge is a good choice then. Just never made sense for me.

Reactions: ppc
The Torque Pro app is $4.95

Torque Pro has so much more information that can be displayed on a single screen in a more readable format that a Scangauge

But I have to make sure I have my phone with me, the app has to be open and I can’t use my phone for anything else otherwise I’m not monitoring it, need to have the phone on the charger since it’s in use and burning battery with the display on and i need to have my phone mounted on something where I can see it.

Hey to each their own but a scan gauge right on the steering column at all times with no other fuss makes more sense to me.

But I have to make sure I have my phone with me, the app has to be open and I can’t use my phone for anything else otherwise I’m not monitoring it and i need to have my phone mounted on something where I can see it.

Hey to each their own but a scan gauge right on the steering column at all times with no other fuss makes more sense to me.

By a cheap android tablet. It doesn't have to be a phone.

No need to throw away a scanguage if you have it. However if you don't, there are other options that are cheaper and at least do the same and don't rely on phone/tablet or anything extra. I have looked at the scanguage and found it did nothing more than the OBD2 pod i have installed in my dash yet there is a justification for the cost for some reason and i can't find it. However when you need more info... Torque is going to provide a lot more than the stand alone units used just for monitoring. One could go get a autel etc but then you are just running a full handheld.

Anyone here run their bluetooth OBD2 app while using the same phone for CarPlay? I'm not a big fan of stuffing the extra long scanguage cable myself and was wondering if I can use CarPlay for my head unit and still load up an app like Torque without disturbing CarPlay?

TIA

Does anyone know what information the Torque Pro app collects from your phone ie: silently in the background?? Phone Mac address, IMEI, or MEID number (your phone's fingerprint), motion history, GPS location, call data, access to your address book, or??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom