SAND BLASTING (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I need to have my FJ40 sand blasted. I live in the Oklahoma City area and have talked to a few blasters but, since this is my first time, I have some reservations on who to go with. I really don't have any references from anybody. Anybody out there have any experience with blasters in this area and may have a recommendation. Also, have gotten preliminary quotes from $1000.00 - $1800.00, which seems like a pretty large gap to me.
Thanks.
Brent

I blasted my entire cruiser, as in every large component, for 600.... the small bits I had blasted and powder coated.

I had every panel of my 76 blasted for $1000 about 3 years ago here in Vegas. They even did the rain gutter on my fiberglass top. They did not warp any panels.

When you guys had your's blasted, did they dry blast it or Hydro (mix water with media) blast it?

We've always done them dry. I don't think a mixture of media/water would be good for a Cruiser. The media gets in all the little nooks and crannies anyway. I wouldn't want it holding water on my freshly blasted tub. They start to rust almost immediately, anyway.

It's been a little while since we've had to blast an entire truck, but we've used the place over by Frontier City, I think it's A&A Dry Strip, and had good luck. They do sand and media blasting. We have no ties or affiliation to them whatsoever. I just know that's one company we used in the past, and in my eyes, they did a good job. I have no clue what they might charge, though.

- Josh

Last edited:
Dry, even a little moisture in the air can make it hard to clean up. Mine was done outside my shop. Once it was finished, I took a leaf blower to it, then moved everything into the shop to keep any dew from forming. It is also a good idea to handle the blasted parts with gloves. Keep it dry and get it primed asap.

I am considering having the hydro removal. We have a local guy where I am at. He is supposed to mix in some preventative to prevent flash rust. Also, from what I understand it removes the paint ,etc with less heat , lowering the chance of warping.. Another plus is I like the idea of the doing it onsite, I am going to use large tarps to catch the byproduct. Price wise I think it will cost more than conventional media blasting.

I saw a vendor in your area- Rusty Iron Works - leaving sandblasting in the dust! .

Kevin

Maybe try a dustless blasting service. I have seen some of the work and it's fantastic. Plus very little mess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom