Safari Snorkel Install- Cutting a large hole in perfectly good 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Snorkel Install on 200 Series Land Cruiser + ARB Breather Riser. Water Fording.

Taking technical recommendations of the alcohol shot of choice for courage before I cut the hole and
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1402154176.626884.jpg
install this Safari Snorkel sitting in the garage.

Last edited:
I find a shot of the last bottling (before the Falstead Act went into effect) of Old Cascade whiskey has a calming effect. :)

Just saying ....

Noted. And where could one find such a fine specimen?

I only know of two bottles. One in middle Tennessee at my father's place and one in the Charlotte NC area in my cabinet. AFAIK, no others exist

If you have the 5.7L petrol V8, I'd be more worried about how you are going to hook up to the air box :eek:

I've cut the hole in two other perfectly good 120-ish Toyota's and it was a nerve racking experience, at least, laying out the template was.

If you're squeamish, a unibit and good pair of reds should allow for cutting with finite precision, although I've never done in any other manner than the hole saw.

Be glad to do the boring in a couple of weeks when in your neck of the woods, or scrub brush, whatever y'all call it.

When I cut mine out I used a hole saw, same feeling I wanted it right on my 200, all other vehicles I've done I've used a small drill.

Once you get past the first cut you'll relax

I've cut the hole in two other perfectly good 120-ish Toyota's and it was a nerve racking experience.....

Be glad to do the boring in a couple of weeks when in your neck of the woods, or scrub brush, whatever y'all call it.

Thanks for the generous offer, but seeing I'm sorta fond of her, I'll be the one to drill her.. ;)

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD Forum

LOL. So I have "heard".

If you have the 5.7L petrol V8, I'd be more worried about how you are going to hook up to the air box :eek:

Yes, it's a 5.7. There is a thread and a video I believe in this..beat to fit, paint to match...Christo said it's not a big deal.

Yes, it's a 5.7. There is a thread and a video I believe in this..beat to fit, paint to match...Christo said it's not a big deal.

The only thing stopping me from putting the Safari snorkel on my 200 is that I have not found a definitive answer to how the snorkel is adapted to fit the 5.7L air box. I've seen the video, but it has no details about that part of the install other than to say something like a larger hose clamp was used. OK, but how was the connecting tube from the snorkel to the air box modified? How was the air box modified?

When you do the install, I'd be very grateful if you could spend a minute or two to take pictures of this part of the install and explain how you successfully adapt to the 5.7L air box.

TIA

Yes I will do that. Would be a good addition to the thread and I am curious as to what I will get into. Perhaps Christo Slee can give us an idea?

Any progress? interested in seeing what the difference is between the 5.7l and the other engines...
When I had the snorkel fitted on my 4.6l it fit straight up to the air box, I'm sure there's not much difference.

20140306_114927.jpg

20140306_095942.jpg

Last edited:
I'm confident you can put it into your LC200 , especially if you already did your LC100.

Just tape up your fender with low tack tape around the cut area to prevent additional paint scratches from happening.

Any progress? interested in seeing what the difference is between the 5.7l and the other engines...
When I had the snorkel fitted on my 4.6l it fit straight up to the air box, I'm sure there's not much difference.

It came in, I posted this up then went on vacation for a week- where the Spiced Rum has given me extreme confidence. I think I will tackle this weekend.

It came in, I posted this up then went on vacation for a week- where the Spiced Rum has given me extreme confidence. I think I will tackle this weekend.

I can hardly wait - lots of pics, right?

TIA

The Safari Snorkel is on. I am glad to report that with only a new 5" hose clamp and some stretching of the supplied rubber adapter, the regular Australian spec Safari Snorkel will work on the US spec 5.7L. Christo Slee had reported the same-but we all were just not sure how this was going to work.

There is a great YouTube Video clip for the Diesel showing the install of this at

I won't replay the install as it is covered in the instructions and video. What I will go over is a few things that are different.

Obviously convert the drill hole sizes from mm to fraction inches if you don't have metric drill bits. Example the 114mm hole saw was close to 4-1/2 inches and I found one at Ace Hardware. The other mounting holes were 5/8 inch. It seems that all the hole are a bit over sized to allow for play in mounting should the template be just a bit off. I just trusted the template and went for it.

Now, for the known issue- The non-us spec 4.6 petrol and diesel have a perfectly round outlet on the air intake box and the US spec has a odd shape as shown in pics. The good news is that you can ditch the supplied hose clamp and find a new 5" one (I got mine from State Trailer Supply) and you can flex and strong arm the rubber to get it to go over the odd shape as shown in pictures. The alignment is the hardest part. It was warm here today 90F so if you do this in the winter you may need to use a heat gun to warm up the material. The instructions tell you how to align for the non-US spec but you are on your own to get it to line up. I had to move it around until I got the outlet end so it would line up with the snorkel pipe. It will begin to make sense once you get to this point.

Anyway here are a few pics- black on black is harder to see for sure.

_DSC0351.JPG

_DSC0358.JPG

_DSC0362.JPG

_DSC0366.JPG

_DSC0370.JPG

One thing that I found when doing this was what appears to be the KDSS hydraulic vents that are at the same location and level of the old factory air intake location. I worry that the in water fording, if water gets into these little mini snorkels, what the impact will be? In other words, the engine will be fine with my new snorkel but you would have to purge and flush your KDSS hydraulics if you got into water above this? I can go in below this and intercept these and move them to a higher location- but wanted to know what they were first.

_DSC0363.JPG

The Safari Snorkel is on. I am glad to report that with only a new 5" hose clamp and some stretching of the supplied rubber adapter, the regular Australian spec Safari Snorkel will work on the US spec 5.7L. Christo Slee had reported the same-but we all were just not sure how this was going to work.

There is a great YouTube Video clip for the Diesel showing the install of this at

I won't replay the install as it is covered in the instructions and video. What I will go over is a few things that are different.

Obviously convert the drill hole sizes from mm to fraction inches if you don't have metric drill bits. Example the 114mm hole saw was close to 4-1/2 inches and I found one at Ace Hardware. The other mounting holes were 5/8 inch. It seems that all the hole are a bit over sized to allow for play in mounting should the template be just a bit off. I just trusted the template and went for it.

Now, for the known issue- The non-us spec 4.6 petrol and diesel have a perfectly round outlet on the air intake box and the US spec has a odd shape as shown in pics. The good news is that you can ditch the supplied hose clamp and find a new 5" one (I got mine from State Trailer Supply) and you can flex and strong arm the rubber to get it to go over the odd shape as shown in pictures. The alignment is the hardest part. It was warm here today 90F so if you do this in the winter you may need to use a heat gun to warm up the material. The instructions tell you how to align for the non-US spec but you are on your own to get it to line up. I had to move it around until I got the outlet end so it would line up with the snorkel pipe. It will begin to make sense once you get to this point.

Anyway here are a few pics- black on black is harder to see for sure.

Congrats, I'm surprised if that's the only difference in the design I'm sure it would be very easy for Safari to supply a different rubber hose for the 5.7 models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom