RTH request: Steering rack fluke or impending doom? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for some real time advice from Cruise Moab. Yesterday I discovered that the end of my ds steering boot had popped off and apparently puked out some fluid. The reservoir is full, there is NO active leaking, and the steering is fine with no odd behaviors. I reset the clamp and the end of the boot.

Am I looking at impending failure? Or could it be a fluke event that I should just keep an eye on. I'm about to head out to Metal Masher, and would rather not head heedlessly out into the desert if my rack is about to die.

Thanks for any feedback.

As long as it's not and active leak you should be fine. The fluid may have been just setting in bottom of boot, from small leak perhaps from setting for extend period of time. It is something you do need to keep and eye on.

If leaking you can buy time with AT-205 reseal: ATP is a seal manufacturing company that offers their proprietary rubber Plasticizer AT-205 re-seal. They use this same conditioner in their seals manufacture processes. Over time plasticizer leaches/drys out of rubber seal(s). IMHO this happens more often in certain condition: 1) Vehicle not used regularly, setting long spells where seal dry out. 2) Gunk build up on seal from conventional oil, drying seals. Then switching to synthetic cleans gunk off seals, that have dried and they leak.

Thanks for the feedback. I did read it before I hit the trail this morning. No apparent steering issues today. Boot stayed put. No leaks. No odd behavior.
Metal Masher was a blast today.
My ds boot has always fit funny. It's like it's too long and wants to push itself off the end.

Can't wait to see the photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom