Rth - cant get alternator belts on (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DirtScaresMe

Trouble Maker
Threads
Website
facebook.com
Alternator tension bolt on the ground, slammed alternator all the way to engine. Coming up nearly 3/4" short. Oem parts, 90916 02353 83 for my 94.

Can't get first one on, second would be even more nightmareish. Battery out.

This is as far as i can pull it

9IWeeto.jpg

Did you loosen the bolt the alternator pivots on?

Top one is super loose, bottom one I actually took out to see if the little doo-dad block that the tensioner works with was blocking something.

You're f'ing kidding me, I've been fighting with this s*** because the last guy put them on wrong? Makes sense why the belts lasted 10k miles.

At least its an easy fix. Some guys will actually remove the idler pulley, apparently it can make the belts run a little quieter.

At least its an easy fix. Some guys will actually remove the idler pulley, apparently it can make the belts run a little quieter.

My idler pulley makes noise on its own without the belts helping. Noisy little thing.

Pro-tip: if you take a picture of how something is installed so you can put it back that way, make sure it was installed right to begin with.
I always remember this pro-tip about 15 minutes after I get done taking it apart! :cry:

on 3 of my 80s i dont even have the idler pulley. no need in it being there imo.

Thank god for this forum some days. =)

I seriously wasted a day on this bs. Was going to take my kids camping, wanted to knock this out before I left.

Also, noticed dif fluid (assuming) on a knuckle. Happily I did the other a few weeks ago so that shouldn't be a total wreck. Still have my pvc pipe, brake cleaner, etc.

Maybe you should take some time to read the FSM when you have an issue. It saves a lot of time and frustration.

Maybe you should take some time to read the FSM when you have an issue. It saves a lot of time and frustration.

I did. I saw the alternator adjustment page and followed it, but didn't see anything glaring on belt routing.

The PO on my truck removed the idler and lost part of the adjuster bracket. I had to buy all new parts and install.

The idler helps reduce the "slap" of the belts when the AC turns on/off when the RPM is up. I actually blew off a set of cogged belts and blew up my radiator partly because of all that.

Yeah, belts go OUTSIDE the idler so that it looks like they barely touch.

THen tension is the hard one to figure out how tight without being over-tight.

This is my "before" picture, they look like they go on the inside.

jxggJfa.jpg

That's how my brother in laws was when I was helping him PM his rig, tell tale sign of mechanic that doesn't know the vehicle had been wrenching on that truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom