Rough value of a Subtank "kit" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, trying to get an idea of a deal or not.

What would it roughly be worth to find a subtank kit with the tank, dual filler neck, interior bits, wiring harness, hoses, pump, etc., basically everything you need to install the subtank.

Thanks in advance. (and please don't say "it's worth what you're willing to pay!")

$1500+

Hi all, trying to get an idea of a deal or not.

What would it roughly be worth to find a subtank kit with the tank, dual filler neck, interior bits, wiring harness, hoses, pump, etc., basically everything you need to install the subtank.

Thanks in advance. (and please don't say "it's worth what you're willing to pay!")

Market value is an economic principle. It is that precise point (which, ironically, is largely imprecise and highly subjective), at the margin, where two unencumbered parties agree to a mutually beneficial exchange of economic inputs. Such transactions are considered "arms-length" transactions. Due to the subjective nature of value, it is impossible to determine how you value the economic inputs available for consideration. Therefore this "kit" is worth precisely what you are willing to pay for it.

I think there was a man a fre kit. And I think Land cruiser heaven had one at some point for a bit over $1,000. I also saw components on cruiser parts and SOR. Others are starting at $1,000 and going up from there. From a seller's standpoint: they need to know they'll be able to sell if it they stock it; therefore it is worth what the market has on average demonstrated it is willing to pay for it - and most buyers and sellers will feel comfortable within two standard deviations of that mean.

Disclaimer: many variables were lost or ignored to bring you this analysis.

maybe I'm cheap, I see them for sale at 1500 and don't bother - I don't see it being worth that. With an aftermarket tank (that allowed the spare hopefully), aftermarket ECU for it (like George did), remaining bits and pieces I would hope for well below $1000, maybe Joey can do the profit math for it.

I'm not interested in the development of a kit, but rather found something for sale and want to know if the price is "right"

Pretty much everything except bolts, and some tapping on the wiring harness is included. The price is much closer to 1k vs the 1500 listed above... On the fence about it.

That range seems on par with other offerings. The value is probably there, and I believe you are thinking the same thing. Otherwise you may have posted a link to the offering and then asked if it was worth it. So if it's priced at a point where you feel at risk of losing it to a competitive buyer, then you're probably safe to make an offer.

To find something like that off a Wreck 80 here in OZ, would cost maybe $3-500 AUD. Shipping to the US might be the deal breaker tho

From what I can understand, it's very difficult to ship anything that's held fuel previously out of OZ. If it's never held fuel no problem, but if it has, big problem. Apparently that changed not too far back from what my limited research has told me.

From what I can understand, it's very difficult to ship anything that's held fuel previously out of OZ. If it's never held fuel no problem, but if it has, big problem. Apparently that changed not too far back from what my limited research has told me.

Thats another good point!!

I think a grand is getting close to reasonable. My subtank probably cost me $500-550 to build and took a ton of head scratching/fab time (not calling it work because I consider that fun). It is custom and works well but regardless, time is money so there just might be a good trade off on that deal

I speak semi-regular of late with a guy who vendors these as I was more pressed for fuel capacity pre-Tundra buy.

He sells quality used setups, no rot no missing parts - we talk $1200-1400 each time, and he's had a few now.

It depends some degree if it was a diesel setup, if you are going diesel down the road, or what - IIRC the gas setup has the level sender, but diesel didn't (I forget TBH, but diesel was slightly cheaper both for the neck & tank pump/sender situation in general).

If you're closer to $1000 than $1500, you're good. Esp if that includes shipping $$.

If even still available, the petro dual neck was $475 shipped last time spoken of. :meh:

If you want the "complete" factory set up setting on your front porch maybe $1500 tops only because getting "everything" (including instructions) together needed would be time consuming. Given they are not in this country you should expect to pay a premium.

Mine was very cheap because a lot fabbing was needed. My biggest cost was went I decided to sell my used dual filler neck with angled outputs for a brand new filler neck with dual horizontal outputs $350 from Akella here on mud. I changed filler necks to make installation easier for me.

I had a main tank shipped from OZ a year ago, no problem. Sent Seafreight, which took two months, but was cheap and made it through just fine.

My subtank setup (the complete setup including the gauge/altimeter bits) was around $800. Bought it from SOR, directly from Marv way back when. That was with pump/solenoid/brackets etc, the tank (with sender and fuel empty sensor etc per Petrol version), straps for tank and rubber inserts, dual neck filler and rod & bits for the fuel filler shroud and gauge/pod assy. Marv was planning at the time to put it into his 80, but money talks and maybe it helped that I have an oz accent :)

If what you are getting is pretty complete AND the inside of the tank shows no rust/spotless, then something near $1k today is a decent deal.

Installed about 17 years ago, so that's less than $50 per year.... Beats carrying jerry cans and dealing with filling/dispensing/storing.

cheers,
george.

I think i'm in about $1200 for my subtank setup. Like @dogfishlake said, it's a bit of a challenge to get everything together, installed and working correctly, but it's frustratingly fun and worth every penny. If you want more annoyance, get the overhead console and wire that up as well, boy did I enjoy that!

Honestly, I would do it all over again if I didn't have one.

With the horrible mileage and the smallish main tank on the 80, the subtank should have come standard on all 80's.

Can we get a group buy of a 20-foot shipping container from Australia filled with subtanks and 105/79 axles?

IIRC Slee's kit was about 1200$? It included everything, tank, dual neck, sender, pump, switch/gauge.

You can build one for much less, you just have to scavenge parts. Using a 70 series tank, making your own filler neck, etc. The problem for you guys is emissions control!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom