Builds ROTW - desertdude's 1997 40th aniversary (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow. Nice rig.
Very similar to what I want mine to be one day.
Great job.

If you every come back to BC send me an PM.
I live about 1 hour east from MTNRAT.

Cheers,
Nick :)

i4c4lo said:
DD,

Your truck is THE standard. hehehe Super nice truck that belongs to two of the nicest people I have ever met!!!!! See you guys soon.

Amando

Ditto That

CELICA XX - thanks I hope you are buying tickets :)

Mike S - thanks - Sounds like a plan !

tech_dog - Thanks - Approx. 7K lbs

slick621 - Thanks - sure thing let me dig up the info and I will post it up

nickw - thanks - will do - we love BC!

The Ozite I used for the deck/drawer system was found HERE the color "Prarie Tan" matched the oak interior very well.

Last edited:
The CB set up is made up of :

Uniden PRO510XL Compact CB Radio - Bought here

Firestik VENICE 3/8"-24 CB ANTENNA - Bought here

Firestik MU8R9 2-Piece 9ft "EZ-Install" Single Coax Cable - Bought here

Comet hood lip mount - Bought here

all the 12v outlets - Bought here

I chose this antenna because it is very light and can be mounted on the lip of the hood with ease and does not wave around in the air too much - it can be folded down easily - I followed Slees install on the CB in the ashtray

I am eventually going to mount the 2m antenna(located on the drivers side now) up on the rear hatch to get some more height to it.

For the drawer slides I used these in 36" I still made a 48" drawer and can access the last 12" no problem

Thanks to those who found them and posted the info in the outfitting section ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info! Again, sweet rig!

desertdude said:
The CB set up is made up of :

Uniden PRO510XL Compact CB Radio - Bought here

Firestik VENICE 3/8"-24 CB ANTENNA - Bought here

Firestik MU8R9 2-Piece 9ft "EZ-Install" Single Coax Cable - Bought here

Comet hood lip mount - Bought here

all the 12v outlets - Bought here

I chose this antenna because it is very light and can be mounted on the lip of the hood with ease and does not wave around in the air too much - it can be folded down easily - I followed Slees install on the CB in the ashtray

I am eventually going to mount the 2m antenna(located on the drivers side now) up on the rear hatch to get some more height to it.

The rig is badass, but the treks are even better.

Nicely done!!

What was the unit mounted on the side of the cargo box, which could be seen with the passenger's right rear door open?

jklubens said:
The rig is badass, but the treks are even better.

Nicely done!!

What was the unit mounted on the side of the cargo box, which could be seen with the passenger's right rear door open?

hey thanks! Yes on the treks - we are ready to turn around and do it again :)

That is a Xantrex Pro 1800 Inverter (1800 watt) I use t for firing up the Isotemp Marine water heater as well as the computers and anything else that needs good clean power - The faceplate is a remote I have it siting up near the water bottle holder - I can monitor the status of the battery as well as invertor usage

Last edited:
I may have missed it, but how do you secure the drawer system to the vehicle?

Awesome 80! I hope to meet you on an ExPo trip in the near future!

1. Did you install the 6" springs for your Trip too the Great White North?

2. And then will you be going back to the 4" HD when they come in or just stick with the 6?

Sam

cpg said:
Thanks DD.
What is the trick for using only 1/2 gallon to shower?

Try not to get seduced by the hot powerful water :)

quick wet down ( no matter what the temp is at the time) then minimal soap - rub hard everywhere - quick rinse- easy on the hair shampoo -

We tested this in a large tub until we got it down :)

NorCalSam said:
1. Did you install the 6" springs for your Trip too the Great White North?

2. And then will you be going back to the 4" HD when they come in or just stick with the 6?

Sam

Well, Since the heavies were not quite in yet - and I had a full load on the 4" springs I thought I would see if I could go 6" - one it would give me more clearance on the river crossings - two it would maybe level out to be about a 5" lift when it was fully loaded - I installed the 6" coils and 1.5" wheel spacers and gave it a whirl - unfortunately ( I needed more time to do it properly) I only had a week before we were leaving - due to the high center of gravity ( roof tent) and not really being able to dial in the proper castor ( I drove it around for about 400 miles) and the OME shocks not quite firm enough for my GVW - I went back to the 4" and I was glad I did for this mostly on road trip ( 14,000 miles)

A few other things led me to this decision - the truck really sat high with the 6" hard to believe it was that different - I could not reach the engine compartment with out a small step stool - getting in and out was more difficult - especially for desertgirl - as it were she needed a stool to access the engel in the back with the 4" - so long story short I will save those 6" for another 80 project brewing :idea:

I am looking forward to the 4" heavies as well as the Bilstein 7100 install - more on this later...

Sure - I originally found out about this part through George Taskled's site - (Thanks George)

Punch this number below into the search engine on the digikey site

AS212-ND SOCKET AUTO LOCKING
BLACK

they cost about .26 each - and are no different than what you get at west marine for top dollar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom