Builds Romer's 200 Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the Blockbuster Video in the background is a pretty good indicator of generation!

Nice selection!

I was thinking the same thing when I saw that. Kids these days don't know what Blockbuster is

Last edited:
I went to see Tim at Gamiviti where I bought my roof rack and he was nice enough to show me both the Batwing and 23Zero awnings. They are both nice products. I like the Batwing being able to put a stake in through the pole. The 23Zero requires a rope and stake.

Both have legs that drop down from the awning really easy. I keep coming back to the hinges, which the 23Zero are much more robust. Batwing comes with two extra hinges and they are easy to install. Tim said the only time a hing broke on him was when he forgot to flip the accessory bag up before deploying the awning. The weight of the bag broke a hinge

The material of both were good. The 23Zero is a bit darker which should make it cooler

You really do need to put poles down on the 23Zero like the batwing as it droops when you don't

Both have pretty much the same setup and stow time. Although when I got home and set it up again, the 23Zero took me a bit to stow. I figured out some of the canvas needs to be stuffed on top of the supports rather than in front. It was making it hard to zip the bag

I really wanted the Gamiviti quick release brackets so I could easily take the awning off for winter and back on in summer by myself. As easy as pressing a 47 lb awning and making the mounts fit into 3 slots :) we did this in Tim's garage a few times and it worked fairly well. Pull the safety pins out and just pull the awning out and its off

Unfortunately, the 23Zero awning bracket slots are wider than the batwing and other awnings, which they are designed for

So Tim drilled 3 holes into the aluminum of the awning to provide a wider spacing which works for the 23Zero. These need to be done with the rack installed. First we put the brackets on the truck loose. Then on the awning and adjusted the brackets on both ends until a smooth fit. The bracket on the awning is attached with one bolt using the top guide rail so Gravity will help it be set right

Then removed the awning and deployed it upside down using saw horses.

With the brackets still installed, drill the other hole near the bottom of the aluminum plate. Tim had them fliped upside down during the initial install and drilling as he thought that was better, but I would think either way would work
IMG_0366.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

Using a hex carriage bolt installed from the awning side of the plate, add the second bolt to the bracket
IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

Then install the awning
IMG_0374a.jpg

Last edited:
Of course I had to deploy it when I got home
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0378.jpg

Being set back a bit eliminates any issue with the spoiler on the tailgate. I did open my Slee Bumper so it didnt hit the Max Trax sticking up

Of course I had to deploy it when I got home
View attachment 2361464
View attachment 2361462
View attachment 2361463

Being set back a bit eliminates any issue with the spoiler on the tailgate. I did open my Slee Bumper so it didnt hit the Max Trax sticking up
I think you made a good choice. I have the Batwing on my Turtleback Trailer. Not a big fan of the hinge design on it. I broke two of the plastic hinges the first time it was deployed. I am thinking about replacing it with the 23zero Peregrine 270 or the Bush Company. I think the metal hinge would be much better than the plastic of the Batwing.

hey thanks again Ken, glad we got that to work out! After you left I revised my brackets to be longer on one side, so the next install should be a straight bolt-up to the extrusion, no drilling. Hope to have those in stock in about 10 days.. :) always fun to see your rig!

Next cam the Ham Radio. I installed the Yaesu FT-7800 that has been in my 80 and 100. Great Radio. Problem is the mount wouldn't work for the antenna. I went to HRO and found a mount that works on the hatch below the glass

View attachment 1192907 View attachment 1192908 View attachment 1192909

The 200 has an advantage over the other rigs I have built with the space set aside for wiring. I went ahead and strung wire for the HAM, CB and AUX power outlet

View attachment 1192910

Then used a angle piece a plastic I JB welded above the ashtray and used adhesive tape to put the faceplate on

View attachment 1192911
Hi Ken. Great install. I'd love to get more detail about how you threaded the antenna mount cable to the rear hatch lid. Specifically how you got the feedline to the mount location...through the conduit at the top of the hatch that brings the power and water to the wipers?

Hi Ken. Great install. I'd love to get more detail about how you threaded the antenna mount cable to the rear hatch lid. Specifically how you got the feedline to the mount location...through the conduit at the top of the hatch that brings the power and water to the wipers?

I ran it behind the trim in the back running it up behind the trim to the top peice were the upper gate hinges are but more to the outside. I then ran it across to the gate zip tieing to the conduit

I went to HRO and found a mount that works on the hatch below the glass

View attachment 1192908 View attachment 1192909
I realize it’s been a while since you posted this but it works out well for my question, how has this mounting bracket and position served you over time? I’m debating on this location vs a spot on a swing out bumper. My antenna is 38 inches and I wonder if it will be in the way or just annoying when opening the tailgate vs having it mounted on the swing out where it will stay vertical all the time and out of the way.

It has worked perfectly with no issues through all my adventures over the past few years. Note my antenna is one that folds as well. You dont need a 38 inch antenna with HAM. The only time I have folded it is when I go through Car washes. My garage doors are 8ft so it doesnt even touch the door when driving in. A 38" antenna will hit things and if it isnt flexible could cause the bracket to move. I would go with the same antenna I am using

It has worked perfectly with no issues through all my adventures over the past few years. Note my antenna is one that folds as well. You dont need a 38 inch antenna with HAM. The only time I have folded it is when I go through Car washes. My garage doors are 8ft so it doesnt even touch the door when driving in. A 38" antenna will hit things and if it isnt flexible could cause the bracket to move. I would go with the same antenna I am using
Thanks for the response!

I would be using this Comet antenna that does fold. I was under the impression that you would want some clearance above the roof line for reception purposes which is why I would use that length. Currently I use a HT so a mobile install is one I’m not completely versed in.

Thanks for the response!

I would be using this Comet antenna that does fold. I was under the impression that you would want some clearance above the roof line for reception purposes which is why I would use that length. Currently I use a HT so a mobile install is one I’m not completely versed in.
Recommend this Tram 1180 as it does not have the pigtail that tends to get caught on branches. I have a mount in the same location and I've broken two antennae that way. The Tram 1180 is cheap enough (but works great) so you don't cry when it gets bent/broken.

Recommend this Tram 1180 as it does not have the pigtail that tends to get caught on branches. I have a mount in the same location and I've broken two antennae that way. The Tram 1180 is cheap enough (but works great) so you don't cry when it gets bent/broken.
Oh cool, thanks for the recommendation! I’ll pick a couple up to have a back up.

thanks.

Nice antenna, but I would still recommend the one I have. I have used the same antenna on 3 vehicles for 13 years and it has survived the Rubicon, South Dakota, much or Utah and Colorado and never broke. I like the option to fold it down.

Nice antenna, but I would still recommend the one I have. I have used the same antenna on 3 vehicles for 13 years and it has survived the Rubicon, South Dakota, much or Utah and Colorado and never broke. I like the option to fold it down.
I have the Comet already and the tram as a backup. For $20 it’s good insurance.

I took out my CB and replaced it with an FRS/GRMS radio. The license for GMRS is much easier. You just have to send them money

I placed the main unit behind the center dash area where there is a cubby hole if you pull back the carpet. I do like the small antenna on the ARB Bar. A better antenna might give better coverage, but that is what the HAM radio is for

I installed the MXT275VP4 MicroMobile® Bundle and everything came with it.
IMG_0711.jpg
IMG_0712.jpg

I took out my CB and replaced it with an FRS/GRMS radio. The license for GMRS is much easier. You just have to send them money

I placed the main unit behind the center dash area where there is a cubby hole if you pull back the carpet. I do like the small antenna on the ARB Bar. A better antenna might give better coverage, but that is what the HAM radio is for

View attachment 2668210View attachment 2668211
Did you have to change out your CB Coax?

View attachment 2668210View attachment 2668211
Why not use one of the Ham radios like btech or baofeng or anytone which can tx and rx on gmrs, frs, and ham? I know the first two do have lower power limits, but it seems like a single unit would be convenient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom