Builds Roma's 78 fj40 gets a refurb (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Since I don't have a power steering pump in this location to support the alternator bracket like on the 3b, I cut up a piece of 1/4 angle to do the job.

20230620_174753.jpg

Here are some photos of the ps pump rotated 180 degrees, it could work, but it's a bit close to the fan for my liking.

20230620_174817.jpg

I could cut the pipe off and weld a barb at the appropriate angle....perhaps.
20230620_175220.jpg

20230620_175259.jpg

I’ve had to modify galvanized frames on Rovers before. Just get some paint on the areas you worked on and it will be completely fine.

I’ve had to modify galvanized frames on Rovers before. Just get some paint on the areas you worked on and it will be completely fine.
Yeah I know, i actually have cold galvanizing compound to put over it. It's more the prep work to get it clean that's the hassle. Hey did you pick up that axle by the way from Doug? I need it for my other 40.

I think I spaced my fan out or used a different fan and rotated that fitting on the PS pump180 and cut the bend out of it.

Yeah I know, i actually have cold galvanizing compound to put over it. It's more the prep work to get it clean that's the hassle. Hey did you pick up that axle by the way from Doug? I need it for my other 40.

Yes I did. I am planning to use it as a jig to make a new solution for axles.

Lots of revelations since my last post. I discovered (after drilling 4 holes in my frame) that moving the steering gearbox forward still wouldn't yeild sufficient clearance for the steering pump. The gear box would clear but the steering shaft would not. Ultimately I was in a hurry and did my mock up while the steering pump was turned 180 from factory. I intended to mock it up with the pump in the original orientation but never did.

I did take the opportunity to remove my pillow bearing block and installed a flanged bearing from Kurt. I powdered the steering column components and painted the column. The old bearing had to be cut off.

20230627_213028.jpg

20230627_213020.jpg

20230627_212957.jpg

20230627_213002.jpg

20230627_213840.jpg

Last edited:
The suction pipe had to be modified with the pump flipped so, I cut it and had a friend tig weld it up. I painted it for now but next time I have some zinc stuff plated I'll pull it off and have it refinished.

20230629_222452.jpg

20230630_145236.jpg

20230630_171144.jpg

The pipe clearance to the fan is just fine but the bolt for the pipe flange was really close so I used a low profile m6x1.0 screw in place of the bolt. I'm pretty sure I can get a fan clutch that will give me another 10mm or so of clearance. I also replaced the steering shaft boot.

20230630_173441.jpg

With the pump flipped I got these fittings for the high pressure line.

20230630_161701.jpg

Last edited:
i'd like to say, welcome to the 15B party. Be sure to get stock more engine mounts and some parts for the transmission.
although it is a n/a they do eat these parts. u will love it as it is guranteed better than alot of toyota diesel engine .

I'm assuming the metric male to flare fitting is for the PS box high pressure port, are you relying on the threads to seal?
You can't rely on threads to seal on a high pressure hydraulic application like power steering. These pumps operate in excess of 1000psi. The fitting is a metric inverted flare.

You can't rely on threads to seal on a high pressure hydraulic application like power steering. These pumps operate in excess of 1000psi. The fitting is a metric inverted flare.

I was attempting to imply that without attacking you for it ;)

While I was on the hunt for a suitable fitting I found many people were just relying on the threads and threadlocker/sealant due to difficulties finding the correct fitting

Out of interest, where'd you source yours? I couldn't find the metric inverted flare locally and importing one was stupidly expensive. I think I ended up converting to a bump tube fitting from another application ~$30 (after finding the generic ones from most suppliers are not long enough to seat)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom